[REL] Siðasti bærinn í dalnum (1950) [Iceland]

Kissonline

[REL] Siðasti bærinn í dalnum (1950) [Iceland]

Post by Kissonline »   18 likes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488208/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
[Image]
Storyline: All farms except one in a beautiful Icelandic valley have been abandoned because of constant harassment from ferocious trolls. The only remaining family, however, is protected by a magical ring that the trolls are eager to get.
[Image]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.08 Gb]
Hope to share with everyone :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Siðasti bærinn í dalnum (1950) [Iceland]

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

TROLLS!?

Thanks, Kissonline!

Kissonline's file contains optional Icelandic subtitles. Now I get to see how Google translate handles that.

Machine-translated English subtitles:
Siðasti bærinn í dalnum (1950) WEBTV-ruv.en.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:04 pm TROLLS!?
Not just any trolls, Night. Ferocious trolls!

As depicted here:

[Image]

Watch as the wild fiend terrorizes that small child! Grendel incarnate! :o

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ok jokes aside, I have been appreciating that you've been sharing an interesting collection of old movies, Kissonline. And thanks once again for the subs, Night!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

The guy in red is a "troll"??!?! In Iceland as elsewhere, trolls are supposed to be LARGER than human size! He looks more like a dwarf (Lord of the Rings underground dwelling gold-hoarding type) or one of Santa's elves.
pillowbaker

Night457 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:55 am The guy in red is a "troll"??!?! In Iceland as elsewhere, trolls are supposed to be LARGER than human size! He looks more like a dwarf (Lord of the Rings underground dwelling gold-hoarding type) or one of Santa's elves.
You know, I was thinking about it more, and yeah I'm wrong. This is me right now :icon_1idiot. Here's a YT link to the movie in very respectable video quality (not sure what happened to the audio though!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-OuqFHsqE

As it turns out, the ferocious trolls can shapeshift to human form, so you don't see the big guys in costume as much (hard to see in the screenshots). The little ones, perhaps they're gnomes I guess, seem to be quite friendly and may be trying to help the family. Sorry for the lame joke!
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Funny, I always thought trolls were twentysomething losers living in their mom's basement. Who knew they could shapeshift and take human form? 8-)
pillowbaker

Perhaps Icelandic trolls are expected to live up to higher standards. I mean, they do have a higher bar with the likes of jötunns and giants to measure up to. :P

During my perfunctory research, I have found that Night initial impression may be fairly accurate, as usual. The "troll" I pointed out above bears a striking resemblance to "The Yule Lads", apparently some of the most famous of Icelandic trolls. See here.

The most famous trolls of Iceland are the Yule Lads. You read that right. The Icelandic Santa Clauses are trolls. They seem to have been able to lift their curse of not being able to be out in the sunlight, but that might have happened when they left their trickster and evil ways behind. Instead of intimidating and annoying people during nights, they now give children treats, quite the turnaround.

[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:49 pmFunny, I always thought trolls were twentysomething losers living in their mom's basement.
But only if they spend time ONLINE. That makes all the difference!
pillowbaker wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pmThe little ones, perhaps they're gnomes I guess, seem to be quite friendly and may be trying to help the family.
GNOMES! That's a good word for it. Scandinavian gnomes are called nisse or tomte, and frequently are helpful and protective of a human homestead -- IF THEY ARE TREATED WELL! If not, you better watch out!

Your YouTube link looks like it is from the same source as Kissonline's link, but the colors are boosted WAY BRIGHT. The audio is similarly rough. [EDIT: While it looks brighter streaming, downloaded it looks very much the same. The YouTube has lower bitrate, is about half the size, and strangely is 28.260fps instead of 25fps!]
pillowbaker wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 pmThe "troll" I pointed out above bears a striking resemblance to "The Yule Lads", apparently some of the most famous of Icelandic trolls.
Wow! I had not heard of "The Yule Lads." They are apparently much like the Swedish Jultomten (Christmas tomten), which are like Santa Claus.