Scheduled outages

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Scheduled outages

Post by mimzy »   4 likes

There is a couple of outages planned between May 27-29 for maintenance. The duration of outages is expected to be up to 1 hour. I'll let you know when the work is finished.
pillowbaker

Re: Scheduled outages

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks for the heads up! I won't worry too much then!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   3 likes

Maintenance is done. Took about 2.5 times longer than expected. Sorry about that :oops:

Let me know if there are any problems.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Whoa things looks subtly different and better, can't quite put my finger on it. I can use the search function at the top of the page now too, without having to to click on the advanced search gear thingy!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I certainly had fun trying to use the site earlier in the day when you were working on it, I kept getting logged out!!! But your warning told me why, I was just stubborn.

Now that you are done, I have not encountered any issues.

OOOH! Ordered lists for posts! OOOH! Strikethrough text!!! I am pretty sure I used to have to go to external sites to do that!

Things are looking good.
Zorijer

Post by Zorijer »   1 likes

Since the update I sometimes get the message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." when trying to log in. Doesn't only happen when the page has been waiting a while, but the variability might still be on my end with these automatically switching proxies(before the update(edit: and after) I'd sometimes get logged out seemingly at random). Not a serious problem but maybe an indication that something's not set up quite right.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Zorijer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:41 pmSince the update I sometimes get the message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." when trying to log in.
I think that I have been getting that message (or something similar) for ALL sites while using Chrome these past few days, particularly for sites requiring login. I hit ENTER again or REFRESH and then it works, after a delay. Currently I am using a VPN and AdBlockPlus, but I have not experimented with different options YET to figure out the cause of THIS issue. I was experiencing it with my credit card site, and shutting off the adblocker for that site seemed to fix it. (Of course, making online purchases on a major U.S. holiday weekend might have had something to do with my credit card issues. And for all I know, Sunday night could have been their regularly scheduled time for site maintenance.) I don't think FLM ever has any ads, so whitelisting FLM in your adblocker may help and still be safe.
the variability might still be on my end with these automatically switching proxies(before the update(edit: and after) I'd sometimes get logged out seemingly at random).
Both "during" and after the switchover I had problems with repeatedly getting logged out of FLM while using Chrome. I did experiments with different browsers, with or without my VPN, and finally uninstalling all my browser Extensions in Chrome. The idea was that I would re-install them one at a time as needed, and determine that way if any of them were causing problems.

Eventually I figured out that MY problem was most likely uBlock Origin for Chrome. Having that uninstalled, I had no more problems with getting logged out of FLM. In Chrome I then used AdBlockPlus instead, because I would rather stay offline entirely than do without an adblocker. (For some reason I was NOT having any FLM logout problems with Firefox (with or without adblockers), but I have been having OTHER issues with Firefox that pushed me to using Chrome instead.) Right this moment in Chrome, AdBlockPlus is blocking ONE item on FLM - I don't know what it is - and I have been having NO problems with FLM the past two days. My first paragraph mentions my problems with other sites, but for me having FLM working properly is the highest priority!

All this is a long way of suggesting that you experiment with any adblockers you may have: try disabling them for FLM or try installing a different adblocker. See if using a different browser for FLM makes a difference. After your experiments, please report back in this thread if you figure anything out. I have had issues extending beyond FLM, and the two of us might not be the only ones with problems. Others may be inspired to speak up if we are comparing notes. This may be an issue that has nothing to do with FLM specifically ... or it might. I just don't know.

Personally I think that Google and the other members of the Internet Legion of Doom are conspiring to get people to stop using adblockers.
Zorijer

Post by Zorijer »   1 likes

Thanks, but uBlock isn't the problem in my case, and I haven't seen it in other sites. Would rather not change things here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Ah well, it was a thought. Thank you for responding.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Would be interested if other users are experiencing similar problems. I haven't noticed anything unusual myself. Do you use (1) https://www.first-loves.com/ or (2) https://www.first-loves.net/ and does it make a difference? .net is routed through Cloudflare, which may create additional problems.