How much films have you actually seen?

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Ziggy Plock

How much films have you actually seen?

Post by Ziggy Plock »   2 likes

Downloaded movies are the 21st century equivalent of the stacks of books on the nightstand:
For some, it's really big and high, and it never seems to diminish.

So, the question is: How many of your downloaded OT-films have you actually seen?
I think for me, that number is around two to three percent.
What's that number for you???
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: How much films have you actually seen?

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Ziggy Plock wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:43 pm So, the question is: How many of your downloaded OT-films have you actually seen?

:oops:

This is a good question, Ziggy! I guess I am doing fairly well, compared to some anyway.

I have managed to finish book accumulations about 3 times in my adult life, and I am proud every time. I don't read so much anymore, so I stopped buying more. That means having them all completed is not so impressive now. But I expect a book I am interested in to be published later this year. I hope to read it right away.

It helps that all my favorite authors are long dead. When another Dostoevsky gets a new translation, I will be all over it like vultures on roadkill!

Movies? I was entirely caught up on EVERYTHING digital some time in 2021, but it has accumulated again. I will never finish them if I keep downloading. I think I am running at about 40% complete for the current 2 drives, whether it is FLM films or otherwise -- I do not separate them by genre or country on my hard drives. It is just alphabetical, in one folder for the watched ones and another for the unwatched.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:52 pm I do not separate them by genre or country on my hard drives. It is just alphabetical, in one folder for the watched ones and another for the unwatched.
I applaud you, both for the simplicity of your system and the height of your number, 40%. Thats awesome. For me, life gets in the way of loads of things.
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you. I learned my lesson from the LACK of simplicity in organizing DVDs. While anything can be found with a general computer search for digital no matter what folder it is plunked in, I just (eventually) quit sorting it out to beginning with. Still, I keep videos separate from MP3s separate from documents.

I am beginning to think that my 40% guesstimate is rapidly dropping to a reality of 30% ...
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:20 pm While anything can be found with a general computer search for digital no matter what folder it is plunked in, I just (eventually) quit sorting it out to beginning with. Still, I keep videos separate from MP3s separate from documents.
Yes. It's amazing how:
- .... quickly stuff gets DISorganized on ones computer. Especially if you have 7 - 8 partitions, disks, etc. Store the downloads according to fileshare app, into watched and unwatched, by year, country? (If you use Soulseek and browse the folders of megasharing Soulseekers, who share 50k to 500K of files, you'll see the most amazing kinds of variation there.
- ....it's so much faster to find a song on Youtube than it is in my 15TB storage.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Ziggy Plock wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 am into watched and unwatched
That is the single most essential category for me! I almost always know whether or not I have HEARD of a movie without too many details being repeated, and I often know whether I have downloaded it or have it on disk, but UMMM did I watch it yet? If I did not keep them separate I could easily watch half an hour of something and suddenly realize, Oh yes I DID see this!
If you use Soulseek
Wow, that was great! I was wondering if it was still around. Cool.
- ....it's so much faster to find a song on Youtube than it is in my 15TB storage.
:thumbsup

That is of course what streaming services count on. They make it as easy as possible for their customers to get what they want so they don't use alternative means. Good business sense, that.

What I have never understood is how YouTube makes money from my watching it or downloading from it when my AdBlockers block all the advertising. (Shhhh, don't tell them that.)

I use the tree command in Command Prompt to list all the files on my full drives and save the information to a massive text document. It is then searchable so that I know what DRIVE a file is on, but I still have to get the drive out of a shoebox full of them to get that file. (No, I don't have a RAID.) You are so right that if a song is on YT, that is faster.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Even the biggest hard drive will be full in some point and because of that I preserve only the rarest stuff for a longer period in my hard disk
If the movie is worse than expected I usually delete it after sharing 1:1
To find the movie quickly from my backup disk I made separate folders inside my main movie folder from A to Z
To answer the question in the topic title.... if the movie is something that I have not desire to watch a little bit at least (based on reviews) then it is no point to download it either)
Giving to somebody a helping hand so they can get it is a different story
Night457
Global Moderator

You are so very rational about this, ferdi111! I am jealous. I rarely delete any movie even if I doubt I will watch it again. If I download multiple versions to try and find the best one, THEN I will likely delete some of them, and keep the best.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:57 am
If you use Soulseek
Wow, that was great! I was wondering if it was still around. Cool.
Actually, Nicotine++ uses the same network and is much better in everything.

I once chatted with a Soulseeker user (handle: "kinooperator"), who had a truly beautiful collection of movies, organized by CONTINENT first, then countries, and he had movies from virtually ALL countries in the world, with an emphasis on Eastern Europe, since he was Yugoslavian (Serb or Croat, idk) Never saw anything like it. Superb.

So, I asked him if he had seen them all, he had like 9K movies. then he said, "no" and he was rather .... curt .... about it? He said he just collected them, not viewed them.
I didn't pry, because I wanted his movies, and not annoy him. But hey, to each his own, right?
Night457
Global Moderator

Triela wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 amBut hey, to each his own, right?
You are right! It's like collecting movie-related action figure toys and never taking them out of their original package to play with them.