[REL] Sean (1970) [U.S. documentary short]

Any documentaries about children can go here.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

Sean (1970)

I am trying to make a srt for the movie
But was not able to hear some lines
Can somebody say what they speak at 11:18 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULujCvXQ8Xc

I heard only the end of the line „pee up in the water”

And one more from 5:52-5:59

How come they're saying the world's [unclear word] pocket.
I dunno.
How the world’s [unclear word] pocket.

When playing the video with low speed
That unknown word sounded “shabby” or “chewy” to me
But both does not make sense for me.
To compare the world with pocket???

The movie is OT here but quite funny from lost times where children were more free than today :)
And one can imagine that in some other family there were similar free-spirited girl in that boy's place. :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: I am asking help with English

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Oh my god, you are really challenging yourself trying to figure out ANY four-year-old in ANY language! I am looking forward to watching the whole video because this kid is hilarious. I adored him right away!

The YT auto-generated subtitles were not much help, so this is the best I can come up with ==
ferdi111 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:01 amCan somebody say what they speak at 11:18 in this video?
"When the boat's finished I can stand up (?) then
[scratching sound? peeing sound?]
out the window -
Make pees out the window and pee out in the water."

I am not sure if he means tossing the contents of a bedpan out the window, or as most boys would do when given the chance: pee directly in the water.
And one more from 5:52-5:59
"How come this is a little Chevy pocket?
Had a little Chevy pock' in it?"

He is playing with the pocket of a leather jacket. Chevy is a classic American car, hugely popular in the 1960s and 1970s. The trucks and muscle cars were COOL. But a Chevy pocket, what's that? I don't think he is talking about fender flares.

(A little fender flare history: https://www.bushwacker.com/blog/being-o ... with-flare)

So, what are things that can go in a small pocket of a jacket?

Chevy pocket knife:
[Image]
Chevy pocket watch:
[Image]
Chevy pocket car:
[Image]

(Pocket Cars toyline: https://tomica.fandom.com/wiki/Pocket_Cars_(toyline)

Putting myself in the mind of a 4-year-old, if a little boy or an older brother puts something Chevy-related in a small pocket, it is a Chevy pocket. So there.

I am absolutely interested in you or anyone else making more complete sense of the dialog. Thanks for the video!
ferdi111

Actually youtube was able to generate ca 70% of it because he spoke quite slow and there wasn't to much background noise.
Thank you. I hadn't a glue they are speaking about well-known car there :P
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ferdi111 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:08 pm Actually youtube was able to generate ca 70% of it because he spoke quite slow and there wasn't to much background noise.
Well, I WAS only looking at the autosubs for the parts you were asking about, and what it got right I already understood ... and there were parts I could tell were wrong.

The main problem with autogenerated subs is that they overlap multiple lines, so the timing has to be adjusted for most every single line.

I downloaded the video and infinitely looped those two sections so I could listen to them repeatedly, AND I slowed them down. If I had headphones that might help, but they died awhile ago.

I don't expect 100% adult logic from an ongoing conversation with a 4-year-old, but he spoke clearly and directly and hilariously much of the time!
ferdi111

So here it is. Synchronized with Ralph Arlyck - Sean (1969).avi which can be found from popular filehost or emule.
Thanks to all who helped - both here and elsewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You did a real good job, ferdi111! :thumbsup
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

The others helped me a lot :)
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

The Chevy pocket car is nothing more than a toy version of a CHEVROLET truck since it is made in the U.S. that brand is referred to as CHEVY, the toy thing is discarded.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Good job everyone on making these. It's funny how even with adults speaking, I sometimes can't catch everything being said either! The little boy's honest, unabashed and imaginative answers to me were definitely a hoot! Had me listening to the whole thing. Some of my favorite parts...

SPOILERS lol

"YOU know America, half of the world."

"Uh, open the door. You know what door it is."
"Yeah. But if it's locked, ring the doorbell."
again: "If it's locked, ring the doorbell!"

"Yea I dreamed the world was ice, people were ice cream, I was eating the people up."

That's just some!

Reminds me of when I was visiting extended family, one of the kids, same age as Shawn in the documentary, I ask, "Is that your tablet?" "No it's a Ipad." Then, they were trying to show me some games on it, one of them where you control a cartoony bird that eats up random things while flying and then has simple reactions. Bird eats a cupcake and promptly squeezes out a fart with white wind lines. Kids explain matter-of-factly, "he eats a cupcake and farts out snow." I laugh and then, in a serious tone they ask, "What's so funny?" I concede, with my unfortunate lack of imagination, "Well where I'm from we don't get a lot of birds that fart snow."

Night's transcription is pretty much what I heard, though I was just as baffled by the Chevy pocket. The pssst! sound, to me, would be kid making the sound effect for peeing.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   12 likes

The director interviews a 4 year old kid living with parents in Haight-Ashbury in the 60's.
[Image][Image][Image]
ferdi111 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:58 pm ... Ralph Arlyck - Sean (1969).avi which can be found from popular filehost or emule.
No need to be coy!
Direct download: https://ulozto.net/file/Juk2EkXaHinc/ra ... EVn2IuAt==

I watched it first without ferdi's subs, but missed much of the dialog because I was laughing so hard! So I watched it again with them. Fine job, ferdi, and thank you very much!

English with ferdi's optional English subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [299.03 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [17.7 Kb]