Geoblocking

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Geoblocking

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I’ve heard that unlike ARTE.DE, ARTE.FR (France) often airs also the English audio additionally to the French dubbed audio - on Their television streams. Do you know more about this?
No, never. I always had only French and/or German audio or subtitles.
Triela

Post by Triela »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:26 am I’ve heard that unlike ARTE.DE, ARTE.FR (France) often airs also the English audio additionally to the French dubbed audio - on Their television streams. Do you know more about this?
This seems like one of those "The grass is always greener over there" myths, just like Norwegian boys who tell themselves that Swedish girls are sooo pretty and easy, and of course Swedish boys say the exact same thing about Norwegian girls.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Especially when you realize that in general Francophone persons dislike English waaaaay more than German speakers...
Is there something odd special about Swiss Francophone persons and Swiss German speakers, that they would reverse that? it might, but methinks not.

Also, TV remotes used to have a button for bilingual films like this: I-II, but not no more.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

It seems perfectly logical to me that for modern digital television broadcasts, if a movie has a "foreign" original language AND also a dub aimed at the local audience, that the choice should be up to the viewer, just like captions for the local audience should be an option. So in France, a Hollywood superhero movie could have the option of both the original English dialog in addition to French dub and/or subtitle options.

I know, I am asking WAY too much to expect logic from TV broadcasters!

And Disclaimer: I have not had any broadcast TV since the 20th century, so I can not know how much the technological capabilities meet the actuality.
Triela

Post by Triela »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:30 am It seems perfectly logical to me that for modern digital television broadcasts, if a movie has a "foreign" original language AND also a dub aimed at the local audience, that the choice should be up to the viewer, just like captions for the local audience should be an option. So in France, a Hollywood superhero movie could have the option of both the original English dialog in addition to French dub and/or subtitle options.

I know, I am asking WAY too much to expect logic from TV broadcasters!

And Disclaimer: I have not had any broadcast TV since the 20th century, so I can not know how much the technological capabilities meet the actuality.
But that would be too expensive, so the logic of €¥€$ €¥€$ €¥€$ €¥€$ €¥€$, not a stranger to YOU, i imagine, tells you that a broadcaster will not spend public money to broadcast dual language stuff.
The only ones i see these days releasing dual language movies, are mostly Tamil+English or Hindi+English torrent downloads
Very rarely: Spanish Japanese
There used to be a time (50s till 80s)when there was bilingual subtitles in Belgium, but then the Flemish got arrogant and said: "GFY you undeserving poor French f....x, pay for that yourself"
I imagine something similar happened in Canada?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Hey, if I were absolute dictator of the world I would knock some heads together and straighten out the entertainment industry, because that is the one area where I really have ideas how "it ought to be run". Oh well.

Still, torrents are totally different than TV broadcasts so I won't even consider those.