Geoblocking

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

Geoblocking

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I can use a VPN to get around geoblocking for some streaming videos that have country restrictions. But how do I tell in the first place what countries are blocked for a web address, other than trial and error?

I thought for certain there would be some online tool easily found with a Google search, BUT NOOOOOO. Every result gives tedious explanations about what geoblocking is and why it is done, and says that one way around it is to use a VPN set to a country that does NOT geoblock the video. Well DUH, I know that.

Is there some site that tests a web address and says what countries block it and what do not? Or do I actually have to keep logging in and out of different servers from different countries with my VPN until I find one that works? That just seems so stupid!

Thank you for any input.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Geoblocking

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Often the site tells you "only available in the US" or something like that. In other cases I think you just have to try some different countries.
Night457
Global Moderator

Dammit!

Mostly for YouTube and other generic sites it tells me that it is NOT available in my country, rather than where it IS available. ("The uploader has not made this video available in your country.") If it is a country-specific site like svtplay.se, THEN for some videos it says "Rights: Can only be seen in Sweden."

Thank you. I thought that you of all people would know of a site that tells what countries block individual webaddress functionality, as you always find a way around it!

In the instance that prompted my post, I found a way around it. I just was hoping for a faster and more direct way than just guessing.
user123

Post by user123 »   2 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:49 pm Mostly for YouTube and other generic sites it tells me that it is NOT available in my country, rather than where it IS available.
For Youtube videos, have you tried using a video download site/tool like iyoutubetomp4.com or youtube downloader (for linux)? I ask because with those tools you can also skip age check restrictions and it may work with location restrictions too, for example this advertisement video on youtube contains nudity and asks you to log in to verify your age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25HhEvKFPuU

But you can download the same video with this link without age verification:

https://iyoutubetomp4.com/en2/download? ... 5HhEvKFPuU

Try with geoblocked videos, it may work! ;)
To download files I shared on uloz use my username user123_ and my password Abc12345678 - please don't change it
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Normally I use https://9xbuddy.xyz/en-1bc to download age-restricted YouTube videos, but I always want other options. iyoutubetomp4 looks like a good one, thank you very much!

I was not expecting it to help with geoblocking, and it did not. That is just a different kind of restriction, and sites like that do not act as proxy servers. Most georestrictions I can get around, I just sometimes have a hard time figuring out what country server I should choose!

Your example of an age-restricted video was quite amusing! It is proof positive that YouTube's age restrictions are deranged. Farting baby bottoms are not going corrupt child viewers!
user123

Post by user123 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 pm Normally I use https://9xbuddy.xyz/en-1bc to download age-restricted YouTube videos, but I always want other options. iyoutubetomp4 looks like a good one, thank you very much!
I have used 9xbuddy.xyz now and it's much better that the one I suggested, and while some sites i see are limited to 720p yours downloads 1080p too! :D Thank you very much @Night457.I used yt1s.com for a long time but now that it no longer works I have been looking for alternatives and yours is great!
Night457 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 pm I was not expecting it to help with geoblocking, and it did not. That is just a different kind of restriction, and sites like that do not act as proxy servers. Most georestrictions I can get around, I just sometimes have a hard time figuring out what country server I should choose!

Your example of an age-restricted video was quite amusing! It is proof positive that YouTube's age restrictions are deranged. Farting baby bottoms are not going corrupt child viewers!
I get it and without knowing which countries are allowed it's a pain in the ass to try and guess. And yes, it's sad to see how the most innocent things can get censored or be seen under a bad light :wall
To download files I shared on uloz use my username user123_ and my password Abc12345678 - please don't change it
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

user123 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:40 amI have been looking for alternatives and yours is great!
I must give credit for sharing the 9xbuddy site to Eren_256, who sadly has not been here for over 7 months.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Thanks, I have that bookmarked now and will give it a try.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:41 pm
ghost wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:16 pm

I’ve heard that unlike ARTE.DE, ARTE.FR (France) often airs also the English audio additionally to the French dubbed audio - on Their television streams. Do you know more about this?