How do you organize your collection?

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
flacct

How do you organize your collection?

Post by flacct »   2 likes

Everything of mine is in one big folder, alphabetical order.
But some are regular family movies and others have dedicated screen time to on topic.
Not to mention everything lacks previews and it's hard to remember which foreign film is which without them.
I am reaching the point where I would like to keep everything strictly organized. Anyone here have tips to share?
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: How do you organize your collection?

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Personally, I have come to prefer all videos in the same folder, and I use Windows search to find a particular file. I keep all the files for a single movie in its own folder. If it is a non-English movie, I name the folder with the original movie name and the English title, so I could search for either. For example,

Barnförbjudet aka The Elephant Walk (1979)

However, there are many ways you can organize.

By country.
By categories of: feature length movies / shorts / TV series / music videos.
By genre: horror, comedy, anime, film noir, western, Disney, superhero. (Of course, many movies cross genres.)
Chronologically by year. (That would take a LOT of work! Don't do it.)

IF you categorize you must be very clear what fits in which category, or you will have a hard time finding it again.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

I organize it by country and by alphabet
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I organize my about 2000 movies only alphabetically. I stored them in folders like "A", "B", "C",...

That's all. :shock:
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:52 am Personally, I have come to prefer all videos in the same folder, and I use Windows search to find a particular file. I keep all the files for a single movie in its own folder. If it is a non-English movie, I name the folder with the original movie name and the English title, so I could search for either. For example,

Barnförbjudet aka The Elephant Walk (1979)

However, there are many ways you can organize.

By country.
By categories of: feature length movies / shorts / TV series / music videos.
By genre: horror, comedy, anime, film noir, western, Disney, superhero. (Of course, many movies cross genres.)
Chronologically by year. (That would take a LOT of work! Don't do it.)

IF you categorize you must be very clear what fits in which category, or you will have a hard time finding it again.
Don't use Windows Search. It's absolutely awful!!!
The Windows 98 search is better than the Windows searches that came after with their "big" "enormous" "gigantic" bullocks!
Instead checkout the free "searchmyfiles". It's got dozens of filters and works really well. I think it's about a 1mb download!!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:20 pm Don't use Windows Search. It's absolutely awful!!!
The Windows 98 search is better than the Windows searches that came after with their "big" "enormous" "gigantic" bullocks!
Instead checkout the free "searchmyfiles". It's got dozens of filters and works really well. I think it's about a 1mb download!!
Thanks, but I don't think I want to go back to Windows 98! :lol: Though I am pretty mad that Windows is stopping support for 8.1 at the end of the year. I finally got it working mostly right. I agree, every change Windows makes just makes things more complicated.

However, for finding a specific file on a drive with thousands of files, Windows search is fast and easy, especially for the movies that I have. I can copy and paste the filename (which I now almost never change) from FLM, or use basic terms like "pretty baby" for all the versions of Pretty Baby on a drive. Windows is ALWAYS running on my computer. I don't have to start up some other program, however small, and give it instant searching access to ALL THE FILES ON ALL MY DRIVES. That sounds phishy to me.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:02 am
David32441 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:20 pm Don't use Windows Search. It's absolutely awful!!!
Thanks, but I don't think I want to go back to Windows 98! :lol: Though I am pretty mad that Windows is stopping support for 8.1 at the end of the year. I finally got it working mostly right. I agree, every change Windows makes just makes things more complicated.

However, for finding a specific file on a drive with thousands of files, Windows search is fast and easy, especially for the movies that I have. I can copy and paste the filename (which I now almost never change) from FLM, or use basic terms like "pretty baby" for all the versions of Pretty Baby on a drive. Windows is ALWAYS running on my computer. I don't have to start up some other program, however small, and give it instant searching access to ALL THE FILES ON ALL MY DRIVES. That sounds phishy to me.
Windows search doesn't give you these great options though!
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

David32441 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:20 am Windows search doesn't give you these great options though!
:think

I can see how that could be useful, true, particularly if I did not know the exact name of a file but DID know the features of multiple files I was looking for. (My FLM files I can get the exact names from the site, but any other movies I probably will not know exactly.) But I want a search that is SIMPLE and fast, not one that takes time setting up the search parameters. Most of the time my only search parameter is the filename, or a key phrase in it.

I would consider using that software for special occasions. So thanks for the suggestion!
flacct

Post by flacct »   2 likes

I already sort my files by movies and TV series. I might add a separate folder for shorts.
However I feel I need a way of subcategorizing things because some of the movies/series are too different from each other in terms of content.
For instance, the difference between a recent american movie for tweens and a more provocative european adult film. Or the difference between a movie with only a brief scene featuring an interesting character and a movie that focuses solely on an interesting character.

Maybe it's my fault for casting my net too wide when collecting.
Night457
Global Moderator

flacct wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:25 am Maybe it's my fault for casting my net too wide when collecting.
There is nothing wrong with that. Sticking to only one type of movie would bore me.

I can see why you might want to organize your collection, so you can choose something to watch based on your mood. I scroll through my long list of unwatched movies, and many of them I have NO idea what they are about or even what language they are!