Servers disappearing from server list

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
flacct

Servers disappearing from server list

Post by flacct »   0 likes

I had been running eMule for a few days and I noticed that two servers had disappeared from my server list (!! Sharing-Devils No. 2 !! and eMule Security). I had to re-add them with server.met. Is this normal behaviour for the client?
Also, can I ONLY download certain files from specific servers? Does that mean I have to manually cycle through different servers to try and get files?
Thanks.
Zorijer

Re: Servers disappearing from server list

Post by Zorijer »   1 likes

I think they're automatically removed after a certain number of failed attempts to connect.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   4 likes

flacct wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:28 am I had been running eMule for a few days and I noticed that two servers had disappeared from my server list (!! Sharing-Devils No. 2 !! and eMule Security). I had to re-add them with server.met. Is this normal behaviour for the client?
Servers disappear from the server list all the time. Where they go, I don't know. I manually update my Server List daily by having pasted the following in the "Servers" tab of my eMule client, in the box "Update server.met from URL" and clicking "Update":

Code: Select all

http://upd.emule-security.org/server.met
(It sounds like you did something like this. That address will stay in the dropdown box for later use.)
Also, can I ONLY download certain files from specific servers? Does that mean I have to manually cycle through different servers to try and get files?
No, not really.

Some explanation of your server question here:
https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... opic=46681

My additions here:

Do you have LowID or HighID? If you have HighID, the server used does not seem to matter at all.
[EDIT: I see someone with your FLM Member name as their emule User Name connected to me in eMule right now, with HighID. If that is you then you don't need to really worry about what server you use!]

If you have LowID and are getting files from a HighID source, the server used also does not matter.

If you have LowID and are trying to get files from someone else with LowID, you will have problems.

Emule is a peer-to-peer network, so the different files are with different peers, NOT on the servers. Generally it is difficult for LowID to LowID peers to connect, and it seems to be "agreed" here that they use the same server to make that easier. At FLM they seem to prefer eMule Security, but I have only seen that discussion here with a very few members, even though there are MANY FLM members who are LowID. (I am High ID and share with them all the time.)

You can set your eMule client to prefer a specific server (or servers.) In your Servers tab, right click on a preferred server (like eMule Security) and set the Priority to "High". In Options / Server, make sure a check mark is in the box Miscellaneous / "Use priority system". (Precise wording may vary depending on which eMule client you use.) There are other possibly useful options in the Server part of Options, but mostly I go with the defaults. If your preferred server is not available at any given time, your emule client will automatically connect you to a different one.

What *I* want to know from knowledgeable LowID eMulers: does using an agreed-upon same server actually WORK for LowID-to-LowID transmission, or is that a MYTH? I would hate to keep repeating nonsense if it is not true. Do you EVER connect to other LowID peers, or NEVER? Do you have any other "tricks" that help you? Please share, there are plenty of other LowID members at FLM that it may help!
flacct

Post by flacct »   0 likes

Very informative, thanks.
What had confused me was that my transfers seemed to have stopped until I had reconnected to eMule Security but I suppose that was just a coincidence. And yes, I currently have HighID.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

My guess would be that when eMule Security disappeared, your eMule client connected to another server and it was just a matter of time before your client found sharing peers again. (Some of your connections would be through a server and some through the Kad network.) If the sources were using eMule Security it may just have been FASTER connecting to them through it. Other servers would have found them eventually.
emuler

Post by emuler »   2 likes

If you want a few particular servers to stay in the list, right click and add to static list. Now they will not get deleted even if they fail.

Setting your preferred server(s) to High priority is also recommended.
Night457
Global Moderator

Aha! Thank you emuler. At least I had figured out the priority.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

I updated my serverlist from link posted on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am
Finally it worked but it took very long time and multiple retries for enule to connect some server
Night457
Global Moderator

ferdi111 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:17 am I updated my serverlist from link posted on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am
Finally it worked but it took very long time and multiple retries for enule to connect some server
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that one. Normally it takes me only a few seconds for the server list update, and maybe up to a half minute to connect to a server. But I am HighID. Are you LowID? That may be what takes the additional time. Is this normal emule behavior for you? Maybe you were having internet speed or connectivity issues.

Of course updating the server list in itself does not force your client to connect to one of the servers, it just makes them available for connection. It may help to pick a "good" one manually, rather than forcing it to go through the list one-by-one. A lower Ping value suggests a quicker connect time to me. I believe the column that says "Low ID" shows how many current users on that server are Low ID. The top two at THIS moment are eMule Security and !! Sharing-Devils No. 1 !! Those would seem to be the best places for Low ID users to gather. If Low ID is not an issue for you, then you could compare Users vs. Max Users, because I SUPPOSE that some of them could get full.

Ultimately, though, the real question is: did you manage to stay connected and download anything? That is the real test.
Night457
Global Moderator

flacct wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:28 amAlso, can I ONLY download certain files from specific servers? Does that mean I have to manually cycle through different servers to try and get files?
Night457 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:58 pmIf you have HighID, the server used does not seem to matter at all.
Quoting a question and my answer above, because some experimenting has made me rethink it. With HighID I was using one server and downloading and uploading nothing, then I switched to another server and I immediately found myself connected to other users and started downloading and uploading at good speed. I checked and my sources and destinations were also on the server I switched to, eMule Security.

So it looks like even though I EVENTUALLY would have connected to the users on a different server, even with HighID for myself it was STILL an advantage to be using the same one they were, whether they were High or Low ID.

Still, I can not see myself cycling though servers to try to find other sources.