[REL] The Giant of Thunder Mountain (1990)

pillowbaker

[REL] The Giant of Thunder Mountain (1990)

Post by pillowbaker »   21 likes

- or 1991 depending on where you look.
File quality is 720p and looks great! File all the way below.

NOTE: Includes original dub as well as Russian VO that is set to default. You will have to switch it to original dub. Eventually, I'll learn how to switch language defaults. EDIT: I forgot to mention it's not my encode. Credit to original ripper.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101951

Main girl Noley Thornton is quite cute throughout the movie.

[Image] [Image]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Image]

[Image]

From me:
While watching this, I am taken back to a time when even a family movie could have dialogue and narrative that wasn't combed over by sensitivity filters and vetted by cultural consultants, and filmed with so much green screen, and with so much CG it might as well be considered an animated film. It just feels good. The expressions by the main children and the townsfolk are spirited and it's nice to see sets and costumes that look realistic.

Amy, our main girl, gets majority of screentime after the initial few minutes. And the show is quite easy and enjoyable. Hope you like!

Imdb plot synopsis wrote: [Taking place in 1893], a reclusive giant who lives on Thunder Mountain is falsely accused and pursued by people of a small western frontier town for kidnapping three children of the town.

From movie poster:
Amy, a little eight year old girl, stumbles in to Eli's life, senses his pain, and a deep friendships developes between them.

From imdb reviewer:
His tender relationship with the child Amy evokes similar scenes between the Frankenstein monster and another small but fearless little girl.

Some fun dialogue early in this film:
- If I tell ye a chicken could pull a plow, don't argue.

- But there's a giant up there!
- Yeaah, and they say he rips kids in half eats 'em for breakfast.

(hey, maybe Night might like that. :P)

- This is especially for bear. It'll take a grizzly's leg clean off.
- Then I'll take all five.

Trailer, complete with nasally VHS advertisement voice:

Note about Noley Thornton:
I thought some of her pics looks familiar. Turns out she was in a couple episodes of star trek TNG and DS9. The TNG ep was scary, but I LOVED her character Taya in DS9! In fact it was a fairly touching episode.

Otherwise, relatively unheard of. Besides this film and star trek, there are only a couple others. FLM release of Little Riders here.

Some more pics:

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

Free streaming with ads on freevee.

Free streaming at tubitv.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [4.20 Gb]

Quality is great but includes additional Russian VO that is set to play as default. You must switch it to original dub.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] The Giant of Thunder Mountain (1990)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I saw Noley's picture at the top of your post and almost screamed. I knew immediately that I HAD to have this one!
pillowbaker wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:00 am Note about Noley Thornton:
I thought some of her pics looks familiar. Turns out she was in a couple episodes of star trek TNG and DS9. The TNG ep was scary, but I LOVED her character Taya in DS9! In fact it was a fairly touching episode.
DS9 is one of my all-time favorite series, and her episode is one of my very favorites from it. She is terrific, and her interaction with (Security Chief) Odo shows how he is a complete softie with children. I'm getting misty-eyed just thinking about the episode! :icon_frown2

AND ... the gentle giant here is played by Richard Kiel, best known as "Jaws" from the James Bond films. He also wrote and produced this one!

A must have, thank you so much!

I am also going to try to get Noley in "The Little Riders" you mentioned, AND in Heidi (1993) which is here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5377

P.S:
Eventually, I'll learn how to switch language defaults.
mkvmerge GUI all the way, baby!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Oh thanks, pillowbaker. :heart

I only knew her as Heidi. ;)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Many thanks for the kind responses, Night and ghost. This one is initially more popular than expected. There's a lot of users grabbing it right now. I just cleared a few things up, the upload rate should be a bit better now.

Night457 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am mkvmerge GUI all the way, baby!
I guess I should have loaded the movie into mkvmerge to check it over before releasing. Will remember for next time!

Night457 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am... and her episode is one of my very favorites from it. She is terrific, and her interaction with (Security Chief) Odo shows how he is a complete softie with children.

I still remember this:
Taya: Could you turn into a loaf of grain bread?
Odo: Well I suppose I could.
Taya: Show me.
Odo: And let you gobble me up? I don't think so. ;)

Glad to see a DS9 lover here!! The series is highly regarded in my home. I had to resist the temptation to rewatch this specific episode during my write-up! I remember the difficulty Odo had trying to explain to the inhabitants was sort of an emotional moment for me. I couldn't recall if it was mostly the chief of the village, or Taya herself, or both that he was trying to convince. Guess I'll have to watch it again!

edit: by the way, there is some dialogue by Hezekiah and the cronies that took me a couple tries to figure out. For those that it would help, here's a link to English subs:
https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtit ... ountain-en
(if that don't bring 'em like ants to a picnic, ain't a cow in texas)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

(You are really confusing the non-Trek people who do not know that Odo is a shape-shifter!)

Thanks for the subs too. I plan on watching this as my next film.