[REL] M3GAN (2023)

jackplane

Re: M3GAN (2023) USA

Post by jackplane »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:39 am I can't await this movie, because of Violet McGraw.
Same here - Violet is beautiful :heart
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

There's a new longer trailer out now. Shows a few more clips from the film. Film does look good fun!
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   1 likes

David32441 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:19 am There's a new longer trailer out now. Shows a few more clips from the film. Film does look good fun!

Yeppers; STILL luvin' those fluid dance moves, dollie!! :heart

(But, DAMN though!; I feel like I pretty much watched the whole friggin' movie in 2 mins... I wish they had made the trailers a little more 'teasing' rather than flat out showing you what's going to happen.. :wall )

kev.
David32441

I wonder how much beside the eyes is CG'd? Maybe they'll do a making-of doc on this and show how they transformed the actress into M3GAN.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:00 pm I wonder how much beside the eyes is CG'd?
Did you ever see footage of Gollum in "Lord of the Rings"? :mrgreen:
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

I had seen a video of NSYNC and another of Sophie Ellis Bextor, they have makeup, they make them look like dolls.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

LOL :D

"We have to shut her down."
"Jesus Christ, I thought we were friends."
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:15 am
David32441 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:00 pm I wonder how much beside the eyes is CG'd?
Did you ever see footage of Gollum in "Lord of the Rings"? :mrgreen:
Obviously cheaper to not replace the whole body unless necessary. Get more realism off the real person. Much easier to match move a face and replace eyes than replace the whole body especially if the child is on set, has the right physical features. Even for some instances of Serkis they painted him out rather than go fully CG. The scenes where he's writhing down the stream I think they painted him out.
There's a Youtube channel "Corridor Crew" where they look at VFX in films and analyze this kind of stuff.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:26 pm Obviously cheaper to not replace the whole body unless necessary.
Yeah, Gollum was just in a loincloth and had starved body proportions but I think this girl remains fully clothed, right? Serkis was / is a much larger creature than his CGI character in LOTR (and much smaller than the one in Kong ;) ) and was used mainly for motion capture and voice.

Quickly watching the trailer I could see how deliberately doll-like the character looks, which tells me she does not NEED to reflect the appearance of the actress and she could simply be used for motion capture. With enough animation experience for the computer visual artists and sophisticated enough software, even that could be cut back or eliminated. If a computer knew 20 years ago how armies of Orcs moved, why not little girls now? I just now discovered that the voice of M3gan is by 18-year-old Jenna Davis, so the little girl Amie Donald is not even used as a voice actor. Aww. Maybe they only hired her for promotional purposes and to be a stand in on set?
Even for some instances of Serkis they painted him out rather than go fully CG.
On first thought these seem the same to me. Would you elaborate on the distinction you are making? (You can assume I have a basic knowledge of computer visual effects, so you don't have to explain the whole technical process, just what you mean.)
David32441

Night457 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm
David32441 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:26 pm Obviously cheaper to not replace the whole body unless necessary.
Yeah, Gollum was just in a loincloth and had starved body proportions but I think this girl remains fully clothed, right? Serkis was / is a much larger creature than his CGI character in LOTR (and much smaller than the one in Kong ;) ) and was used mainly for motion capture and voice.

Quickly watching the trailer I could see how deliberately doll-like the character looks, which tells me she does not NEED to reflect the appearance of the actress and she could simply be used for motion capture. With enough animation experience for the computer visual artists and sophisticated enough software, even that could be cut back or eliminated. If a computer knew 20 years ago how armies of Orcs moved, why not little girls now? I just now discovered that the voice of M3gan is by 18-year-old Jenna Davis, so the little girl Amie Donald is not even used as a voice actor. Aww. Maybe they only hired her for promotional purposes and to be a stand in on set?
Even for some instances of Serkis they painted him out rather than go fully CG.
On first thought these seem the same to me. Would you elaborate on the distinction you are making? (You can assume I have a basic knowledge of computer visual effects, so you don't have to explain the whole technical process, just what you mean.)
For 95% they filmed Serkis interacting with the actors, then did a clean pass with the other actors and no Serkis. The actors and cameramen could remember what to do and Serkis woud speak off camera his dialogue so they got the timing.
But maybe 5% (as seen in the various making of docs - particularly you want to check out the rare Costa Boates(sp?) 3x90min docs) there's a few scenes where they used the actual shots with Serkis on set then painted out Serkis to replace him with the background where his arms/legs etc are thicker than Gollum. I think in the first scene in the Two Towers where he climbs down the cliff and fights with Frodo and Sam - a lot of those shots - to get the physical action right they painted him out THEN replaced with Gollum. This gave the more believable performance than Frodo/Sam wrestling nothing. I remember they said they did that in the river scene where he squirms down a tiny stream as the camera tracks him. For this they painstakingly painted out Serkis and added Gollum - they didn't use a clean, empty river plate.

Although fx have advanced a lot in 20 years, just to get things like light play and shadows right it's a lot easier to do face/eye replacement than full character CG. Especially when you have other actors that they need to interact with, get dialogue timing, etc. helps cameras pull focus when they have something there. And soooo much cheaper to have an actress in a wig than do full CG and get the right lighting on full CG. Lots of over the shoulder dialogue you would just have the actress in a wig and need no CG.

Rewatching the trailer, the mouth and skin look too porcelain - so it's face replacement, but so much easier with that big detailed hair, clothing, acting, the interactive lighting (explosions, the blue light in one sequence) to have an actress on set with a wig on, then just match move (track 30 or so points on the face), feed that into a program and do face replacement. No I don't work in the industry, just 35 years of following special FX.
There's a few scenes where she runs like a dog, that'd be a full CG replacement. But I'd bet good money there's very few full CG M3GAN shots.