Subtitle Edit used on Der Froschkönig (2008)

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
pillowbaker

Re: Subtitle Edit used on Der Froschkönig (2008)

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks again, Night, for cleaning up after my messiness! :oops:
Night457 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:04 amAnyway, since you already have that planned, could you make a post for it in
Board index > Discussion / Information > Hardware & Software
instead of our filling up movie threads even more?
Understood, will do. ;)

Odd how ghost didn't point out the easier method until you asked. Thanks for asking, and thank you ghost for additional help with Subtitle Edit. I appreciate having all the steps listed out as you did, Night.
See ghost's example, pillowbaker? Do that instead!
:lol: :lol: Well all-be-darn. And yeah, that was much easier. I am having fun playing around with these subtitles options. I am currently adding replacement filters to my SE and will play around with more de-colorizing with respect to the HI. I haven't been able to be home much today or yesterday, but I'll complete the subs, ensuring a full translation de-colored subs, and sdh subs on the side. :mrgreen:
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:49 am Thanks again, Night, for cleaning up after my messiness! :oops:
Oh yeah, but what about MINE? I was ready to delete all my old posts and start over from scratch. There was SO much turned to strike-through! Even before that I was doing an eye-roll at all that I was posting in the movie thread. I had to put a stop to it there, although I knew the technical discussion was worthwhile.

I hope you did not spend too much time trying my original LONG-form directions. I was shocked at how fast it suddenly was when I did it ghost's way. And he did not even KNOW about the option of doing it my way, which I found so much faster than a line-by-line edit would have been. He just went to the fastest method. Maybe he looked at the tech manuals.
Odd how ghost didn't point out the easier method until you asked.
Do you seriously think that ghost reads in detail all the crap that I post? :lol: He needs the time to watch movies. I guarantee that at most he skimmed through my answer to your questions, and said "Yeah, that looks like it would work." And it does. But you have to actually DO something before you see how long it actually takes. Maybe he did not want to prejudge.

I have a hard time reading online manuals because I don't want to take the time to read the whole thing. I sometimes still have to take a LONG time to search a manual to find just the specific thing I want to accomplish, because I lack the vocabulary for my question. So I end up figuring things out on my own by looking at the menu options within the software. In this case I would have had to select a section of text BEFORE I could change the formatting with newly-appeared menu options. I wanted to change the entire file so I never considered that.

Note that I write "War and Peace" epics, while ghost posted a single screen capture, yet I STILL immediately understood what I needed to do because I have used the software. Then when I tried it, I quickly realized even more that I could do. I take things through tedious step...by...step, while ghost is very succinct.

RE: your future sync project -- I just now came to FLM because I was unable to sync the subs from one source to fit with another better video. :evil: The "original" is a 50fps web download, and I could not get it's subtitle to sync with a 25fps blu-ray rip. The first and last lines of dialog are correct but everything in between is significantly off. This is aggravating! The problem suggests one of them has some missing footage or frames, but I don't want to compare the two files in detail because I have not even watched the movie once yet!

So don't get your hopes too high that I can magically figure out a difficult sync. Most syncs I accomplish in a minute or two, but some I simply give up on entirely. I do not want to spend 2 hours syncing a 90 minute video. I would rather watch it without subtitles and then say "That was a nice movie, on to the next." That is NOT what I want when I RELease a movie here, but it is good enough for my own purposes.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:21 am I just now came to FLM because I was unable to sync the subs from one source to fit with another better video. :evil: The "original" is a 50fps web download, and I could not get it's subtitle to sync with a 25fps blu-ray rip. The first and last lines of dialog are correct but everything in between is significantly off. This is aggravating! The problem suggests one of them has some missing footage or frames, but I don't want to compare the two files in detail because I have not even watched the movie once yet!
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me for jumping in the middle :D

For these difficult syncs, sometimes it is easiest to use the waveform view of subtitle edit.

Step 1 - Adjust the new subtitle to the correct framerate
Step 2 - Find the beginning of the first subtitle in waveform view and click the "Set start and offset the rest" button in the bottom menu. This will move the highlighted subtitle and then apply the same offset adjustment to everything after it.
Step 3 - Now find the next subtitle that is out of sync and repeat step 2 until finished.

Sometimes this can be done quickly, other times you need to "watch" the entire movie. However, you could increase playback speed to 2 or 3 times the speed if you don't mind people sounding like chipmunks.

Unfortunately, this does spoil the movie. Such is the sacrifice of creating subtitles!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

DreamScape wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:49 pm I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me for jumping in the middle :D
Oh, that's quite alright. You don't want to read the rest anyway! :mrgreen:
For these difficult syncs, sometimes it is easiest to use the waveform view of subtitle edit.
Waveform view, what's that? ... (looks in SE) ... OHHH, one of those little icons that are meaningless until I know to look for them!

Thank you! I will definitely be trying this!
Unfortunately, this does spoil the movie.
Oh no it won't. I will watch the movie first and mess with the subtitles later!

:thumbsup
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

impress me with how much work you put into things here.
I second that! :thumbsup
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

ghost wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:10 pm I second that! :thumbsup
Hear hear! :icon_thumbup1

I guarantee that at most he skimmed through my answer to your questions, and said "Yeah, that looks like it would work." And it does. But you have to actually DO something before you see how long it actually takes. Maybe he did not want to prejudge.
I should have written, "funny he didn't say anything". But the way you answered, ghost, was pretty great, and spot-on! I love all the ideas being shared here.

I have a hard time reading online manuals because I don't want to take the time to read the whole thing. I sometimes still have to take a LONG time to search a manual to find just the specific thing I want to accomplish, because I lack the vocabulary for my question.
You'd be the last person I'd assume to lack vocabulary in anything! :D But I get what you mean. I have the similar issue when I go to look through the car manual. With manuals for programs, I may end up skimming through half of it to find how and where my issue is described. Oh that thing isn't under "options", it's under a submenu below "preferences". And that other thing isn't under "tools", even though it's a tool, it's actually under "edit".

Considering how naturally you seem to write out steps for processes and how many times I've read your work in these areas, I'd though you must have done tech manual writing semi-professionally!

So I've managed to work around the google api restriction, despite it still being a problem (changing vpn Ips and reconnecting had no effect). And then I followed your steps. I think your method is switching out the color codes and leaving brackets behind is ingenious! Thus it brackets much of the SDH information for easy selection. But there may be a problem with the subs for Der Froschkönig: I've managed to remove all coloring, but I'm left with all dialogue along with sdh information all in brackets. Every line. Did I do something wrong? I'll take a look at the steps tomorrow and try to figure it out logically.

So don't get your hopes too high that I can magically figure out a difficult sync. Most syncs I accomplish in a minute or two, but some I simply give up on entirely. I do not want to spend 2 hours syncing a 90 minute video.
Oh I would definitely not ask for that sort of help. I would only ask if you had a process in mind for this particular scenario with a different movie. All longform work would entirely be slogged out by myself. ;) But it definitely a wacky project, you'll see soon! I am learning a lot playing with SE.

DreamScape, I am glad you added this extra information. One of the first tools I was experimenting with was the framerate modifier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:29 pm Oh yeah, I have it set in my config that ytdlp converts all subs to SRT. Maybe that was a dumb Decision by me lol.

Just seemed to me like it would be the format most devices like my bluray,dvd player etc can play without issues and can easily get merged into MKV. Vtt isn’t an issue on Desktop Pc with VLC etc I guess…

I know some people also Archive their YouTube videos in VP9/webm format etc. because it has highest quality on YouTube with good low file size. But I always still choose X264 for compatibility so any device I got can play it.
Here I go again with one of my mini-essays in response to a brief comment.

Device portability is VERY important to me and I always choose SRT. I watch everything through my blu-ray player and it just does not do EVERYTHING that VLC does!! However, my computer is underpowered so it has difficulty with x265 videos, but those play back beautifully on my blu-ray player.

I have only used yt-dl and not yt-dlp, but doesn't that one also do the conversion AFTER the video is downloaded? (I sometimes watch command line in process, does that make me weird?) Yt-dl does it automatically, but only if the video is downloaded along with it. If I remember correctly, when using the command line extensions to JUST download the subtitle, it stays in the original format, whatever that may be.

Code: Select all

youtube-dl --all-subs --skip-download URL
If for some reason I want the original subtitle format unchanged, I can very quickly grab just the subtitle WITHOUT having to get the video too. (I would need a link that I know has VTT subtitles to actually test my memory on this.) And I can easily change it later in SubtitleEdit if I need to.

There may be a similar command option for yt-dlp. :think
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:12 am You'd be the last person I'd assume to lack vocabulary in anything! :D
TECHNICAL vocabulary is the problem. I speak English, not tech. I can not predict what "language" the software engineers will choose to describe their computer processes. I do not understand any icons, either, so I just ignore them. I need WORDS in plain English like "Save" or "Edit". Even "Waveform" confuses me, but I have actually now found it under the Video tab after DreamScape brought it up. What about "Fix RTL via Unicode control characters (for selected lines)" ?? I dunno, I would have to look that up in Google. It might be something that I could use!

I use software to accomplish a task, but I don't have any particular interest in becoming a software expert. There are college courses in using MS Word to its full capacity. I only do basic word-processing and not the professional publishing stuff, so I stick with the simple functions. Even with SubtitleEdit, I don't think I will ever use all its functions, and I will only learn them when I have to.
Oh that thing isn't under "options", it's under a submenu below "preferences". And that other thing isn't under "tools", even though it's a tool, it's actually under "edit".
So you DO understand my problem!
Considering how naturally you seem to write out steps for processes and how many times I've read your work in these areas, I'd though you must have done tech manual writing semi-professionally!
Ha, no one has paid me for that specifically! (Though I have done it unofficially as part of a previous job, because no one else wanted to do it.) No, really, it is simply that I am just a monomaniacal linear thinker. I have to take things through step by bloody painful step to understand them.
So I've managed to work around the google api restriction, despite it still being a problem (changing vpn Ips and reconnecting had no effect).
WHAT??? Sorry, I am stumped now. I don't know why that did not work. Did you continue where the translation left off or did you start over? It may be that it is giving you a "time limit" and you will keep getting stuck in the same place every time. If you just pick up with the previously untranslated portion it MAY work.
But there may be a problem with the subs for Der Froschkönig: I've managed to remove all coloring, but I'm left with all dialogue along with sdh information all in brackets. Every line. Did I do something wrong?
Yes, and I knew exactly what the problem was before looking at your sample subtitles. You can figure it out on your own if you want, but the answer is here:
Spoiler:

Take another look at my revised 5-step process that I posted after ghost's input, rather than my monstrously long and tedious original version. I quote the improved shortened version here:
New technique:
1) Do a machine translation on the original language. See if there is a color that identifies HI/SDH by reading the text.

2a) If there is NO color that identifies HI info, then in the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE file do CTRL+A to select the entire subtitle lines, Right-click on the selected area, choose Remove formatting and then Remove color. You now have a colorless original language file. Save it and go to Step 5.

{OR}

2b) If there IS a color that identifies HI info, then in the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE file highlight that color (e.g., <font color="#0000ff">), copy it with CTRL+C, and use CTRL+H to replace it with [ left bracket.
3) Do CTRL+A to select the entire subtitle file, Right-click on the selected area, choose Remove formatting and then Remove color.
4) You will still have </font> on the lines with the [ left bracket. Highlight </font>, copy it with CTRL+C, and use CTRL+H to replace it with ] right bracket. Do this only AFTER you have removed the other colors. Now all the colors are gone AND the HI information is identified with [ ] brackets! Save this new colorless original language file.
5) Do a new machine translation on the colorless subtitle file.
Your problem is in Step 2b. You need to replace the color with brackets for ONLY the HI color. All the other colors just get eliminated entirely, no brackets.

Like this line at the end:

<font color="#0000ff">helles, frohgestimmtes</font>
<font color="#0000ff">Klavierspiel          </font>

I can't read German easily, so I need the temporary translation first:

<font color="#0000ff">bright cheerful</font>
<font color="#0000ff">Piano playing</font>

No one talks like that, so it is clearly HI information!

So you ONLY change the <font color="#0000ff"> to a left bracket [ and not the other colors.

The rundown of the various colors and their characters at the beginning of the file will have to be edited out separately.

<font color="#ffff00">Gelb: Prinzessin Sophie</font>
<font color="#ffff00">Yellow: Princess Sophie</font>

Do NOT consider that as one of the HI colors, sorry, it is for her dialog! After the translation it will be clear that detailing the colors is meaningless in a colorless file, so this one would make no sense:

[Gelb: Prinzessin Sophie]
[Yellow: Princess Sophie]

You do not want brackets around the yellow, so the colorless file will ACTUALLY have this:

Yellow: Princess Sophie

And then you just delete those color-identifying lines at the beginning of the movie.

[Note that #0000ff and #ffff00 are DIFFERENT from each other.]
Oh I would definitely not ask for that sort of help. I would only ask if you had a process in mind for this particular scenario with a different movie.
I was simply indicating that there ARE subtitles where the sync stumps me and I quit on them, because I don't think it is worth the time. Like the old expression "Do not overestimate me." I may not have an answer for you in all cases. If I have any suggestions I will share them.

I am excited about DreamScape's suggestion of using the Waveform, but I have not gotten to the point of trying it yet.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

ghost wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:10 pm I second that! :thumbsup
Hear hear! :icon_thumbup1

I guarantee that at most he skimmed through my answer to your questions, and said "Yeah, that looks like it would work." And it does. But you have to actually DO something before you see how long it actually takes. Maybe he did not want to prejudge.
I should have written, "funny he didn't say anything". But the way you answered, ghost, was pretty great

No, no. no. I just wanted to say that I appreciate Night's effort and all the work and time he put in these subtitles and even writing an entire tutorial for you, pilowbaker. So my comment was 100 % positive. I just hadn't the time to read this thread (meanwhile it would take me about one hour.. :? ).
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Subtitle Edit used on Der Froschkönig + other films

ghost wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:39 amit would take me about one hour.. :? ).
:lol:

Just wanted to pop in for a quickie about translations that may help others. (I am sure that ghost already does things this way!) One feature of Subtitle Edit that helps in editing and correcting translations is first loading the translation normally, and then the original language with

File > Open original subtitle (translator mode)
Screenshot (88).png
This puts the translation on the left and the original on the right, to make it easy to consult the original text in refining the accuracy of the translation.
Screenshot (89).png
Another help in translation is watching / listening to the accompanying video.

Video > Show/hide video Ctrl+Q

will put a video screen at the bottom of the page that follows the subtitles line by line, with audio.
Screenshot (90).png
Screenshot (92).png
It is easier for SE to load the video if it has the same name and is in the same folder as the subtitle. Ctrl+Q will also hide the video if you want more room for just the text.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.