opensubtitles.org

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

opensubtitles.org

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Has anyone else had problems with the opensubtitles site lately? Every download is blocked by Chrome because it thinks the files are viruses, and Firefox downloads them as empty files. Has it been hack-attacked AGAIN?
DreamScape

Re: opensubtitles.org

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

Firefox is likely "downloading empty files" because it's asking you if you really, really, really want to download the file. FYI, Microsoft Edge does the exact same thing.

[Image]

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

My Chrome is doing the same thing. And it doesn't give me an option to bypass it. I'll try to see if I can find any new information. Thanks for bringing this up.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

It's NOT asking me, it's just downloading a zero kb file! Chrome TELLS me it is dangerous but does not give me the option to take the risk anyway, as I am used to doing in such situations. I finally managed to get one of the "problem" subtitles downloaded using Edge. I never use it so I don't have any adblockers installed, and I was assaulted by flash hentai ads, popups, demands that I download extensions etc etc. Sheesh. It's a shame that opensubtitles has more subtitles than any other site, because it is just getting worse and worse.

All for simple text files. Now if I could only remember what other subtitles I was trying to get the past few days and gave up on, then I would try them again in Edge.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: I see pillowbaker encountered this too. At least it is not just picking on me.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I looked at the forums at opensubs:
https://forum.opensubtitles.org/index.php

There is mention of the site having gone down for a bit today. Perhaps residual errors? One of the members suggested using opensubtitles.com instead. Which, if you don't like opensubs without adblock, this one gives you a similar experience, plus a wait time and a 10 subtitle download limit unless you have an account. Install our extension! However, I successfully downloaded an srt (ducktales).

Maybe someone can help figure out a better way to navigate the .com version.
DreamScape

Night457 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:32 am It's NOT asking me, it's just downloading a zero kb file!
No, this is exactly the behavior I am describing. I believe it is downloading the file in a temporary location and is waiting for you to accept the risk before it replaces the 0 byte placeholder. There was no visible prompt, I had to click the download icon on the browser to accept it.
DreamScape

Night457, an alternative is to just use JDownloader 2 to download subtitles from opensubtitles.org. Then you don't need to mess with browser security settings.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

THANK YOU DreamScape!!

The Chrome warning popup at the bottom of the page was not helpful and I did not see any Firefox warning, but when I went to the Download page for both browsers (CTRL+J) I had the option to allow the dangerous files. I did so, and they look like subtitle text to me.

And I had never thought to use Jdownloader, which has the added benefit of extracting them automatically without warning me that the subtitle file will destroy my computer. (Supposedly.)

Thank you for your patience in guiding me through this. You were a great help!

DISCLAIMER: opensubtitles.org HAS been hacked before, so people use it at their own risk.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

For me too suudenly Firefox declared that those zip files from OS may be harmful for my computer
In Downloading (library) window (when I pressed ctrl+J) it gave my option to allow downloading it
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I have problems for a long time with chrome and downloading a srt from opensubtitles.org, but it isn't a security thing. It seems that it can't get a connection or something. Maybe one of my many extensions is the problem. I never went deeper in that problem, because Microsoft Edge was and is downlaoding them without any warnings...