Large files and the speed of eMule

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
goku33

Large files and the speed of eMule

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 am I think I grabbed one of the 1080p torrents from rarbg. I don't know if it's any different in quality from the one that jezevex shared here:
viewtopic.php?p=70032#p70032

Those ghouls releases are usually pretty good quality if anyone is interested. They come to 4.3gb and 6.5gb, the ones that goku33 mentioned.
What kind of speeds do you guys get on average from eMule shared files? 1MB/s? 500kb/s ?

I am completely different to people who always only want small 2-4 gb files. I like to archive the highest quality available with the exception that I tend to not Download entire BluRay remuxes. But for a film like HarryPotter I will take a 14-16gb 1080p encode. 5-6gb is on the lower end when it comes to proper 1080p encodes. (Obviously also depending on Bitrate and if the film needs high constant Bitrate..)
mimzy

Re: [RREL] Diabolo menthe (1977)

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 am What kind of speeds do you guys get on average from eMule shared files? 1MB/s? 500kb/s ?
Well, if there is one person sharing a file and he is donating 1 MBytes/s of his upload bandwith and 20 people are downloading different files from him, you get 50 KBytes/s. I'd say 50 KBytes/s on average is pretty good. In the worst case, the person is only online few hours per day or less ;)

Just add the posts of today and relax. You'll usually get the files by next day. And that is more than you have time to watch.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 am What kind of speeds do you guys get on average from eMule shared files? 1MB/s? 500kb/s ?

I am completely different to people who always only want small 2-4 gb files. I like to archive the highest quality available with the exception that I tend to not Download entire BluRay remuxes. But for a film like HarryPotter I will take a 14-16gb 1080p encode. 5-6gb is on the lower end when it comes to proper 1080p encodes. (Obviously also depending on Bitrate and if the film needs high constant Bitrate..)
Just like with torrents, it totally ranges. Depending on the number of sources, I usually get around a good 40kB/s to a couple hundred kB/s, to a couple mB/s, which I find commonly enough. Some of the users here have very nice upload rates. And some just trickle in.

Yeah, I understand those who like their movie files and archives to be pristine and large, and those who need or like them a bit smaller. Honestly, 4 to 6 gigs is the larger, yet acceptable side for me for a 1080p encode, though I will quickly take something larger if I'm interested enough. If the best quality flm classic is one of deadman's larger BR rips or full DVD9s, I will take it gladly. But 2.5 to 4 gigs is the sweet spot for me.

But I totally appreciate you archiving the highest possibly quality file you can. Me, even though I have acquired a pretty decent amount of HD space, I cannot justify enormous file sizes. Personally I do love curating and archiving my collection. But good hard drives still costs a pretty penny, you know.
Spoiler:

As for Harry Potter, I honestly had a hard time enjoying anything past the 3rd movie, I have randomly grabbed 10 to 12 gig files for a number of movies in my collection. AI Artificial Intelligence,Ronja Rovarsdotter, Flesh+Blood, Mystery of Chess Boxing, Return to Oz, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Shaolin Challenges Ninja... some are favorites, some not, just what I was interested in enough to grab. Any other movies you recommend grabbing? I have seen you make a number of posts recently and you've bumped some interesting thing.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:49 am

Just like with torrents, it totally ranges. Depending on the number of sources, I usually get around a good 40kB/s to a couple hundred kB/s, to a couple mB/s, which I find commonly enough. Some of the users here have very nice upload rates. And some just trickle in.

Yeah, I understand those who like their movie files and archives to be pristine and large, and those who need or like them a bit smaller. Honestly, 4 to 6 gigs is the larger, yet acceptable side for me for a 1080p encode, though I will quickly take something larger if I'm interested enough. If the best quality flm classic is one of deadman's larger BR rips or full DVD9s, I will take it gladly. But 2.5 to 4 gigs is the sweet spot for me.

But I totally appreciate you archiving the highest possibly quality file you can. Me, even though I have acquired a pretty decent amount of HD space, I cannot justify enormous file sizes. Personally I do love curating and archiving my collection. But good hard drives still costs a pretty penny, you know.
Spoiler:

As for Harry Potter, I honestly had a hard time enjoying anything past the 3rd movie, I have randomly grabbed 10 to 12 gig files for a number of movies in my collection. AI Artificial Intelligence,Ronja Rovarsdotter, Flesh+Blood, Mystery of Chess Boxing, Return to Oz, Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Shaolin Challenges Ninja... some are favorites, some not, just what I was interested in enough to grab. Any other movies you recommend grabbing? I have seen you make a number of posts recently and you've bumped some interesting thing.
Anything over 1080p and 6gb is a bit unnecessary - usually.
There's a few films here with lots of grain that have been 7-8gb, and when the grain is really bad you need the extra GB.
I did my own test of encoding Maverick from Bluray for my own backup, not to share. Expected it to be 5gb+. Even with the Q setting at 18.5 (most say you should do 20-22 for 1080p) in Handbrake it came out at under 4gb! There's zero grain so it encoded small desipte it being an action film!
I got a 2gb download of the above mentioned Flesh+Blood - but because of the noise/grain the 2gb encode was nasty for some of the scenes. And that was from an experienced group!
2.5 - 4 are of couse the size of Ghost's 1080p encodes, and are perfect. No mp4 noise (no blocking in background. No blocking in action. No smearing)
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:48 pm
I wonder if the encoding settings and knowledge, the encoders have gotten much more advanced in the past 10 years? (Not talking about The codec themselves)

Of course, like you said, it also depends on whether the film is super old/action film/grainy. But most 1080p releases from 10-15years were 7-15gb. I know one release group always did 5-6gb releases that were too low for me.

Also depends on your screen I assume. You might think a release looks stunning at 3-4gb but on a bigger screen the lower Bitrate etc might be more visible who knows..