[REL] G (1983)

deadman

Re: [REL] G (1983)

Post by deadman »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:58 pm
deadman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:36 pm
The Man From Earth. That's the one with the 10,000 year old professor, right?

Couldn't find this film online anywhere. Just a few low quality clips. I ordered the DVD, that's how I finally got it.
Yes it is! You’re ordering a lot of films! :D I should direct you to some file sharing communities.. don’t get me wrong, financially supporting artists is good if you can.

No, I meant the film in this thread. :lol:

The Man From Earth I downloaded some years back. Either on BT or Usenet, I forget which. G was only available as LQ clips. Some movies just haven't been posted anywhere. The only way to get them is to find and order an actual disc (assuming one exists) or make a streaming purchase. It was under $20 in this case, not a big deal.

If you want to tell me about file sharing communities I don't know about though, especially ones that post stuff obfuscated on Usenet, I'm all ears.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

English subtitles for the movie and for the retrospective featurette:
G (1983).ENGLISH-SRTS.zip
While it is easy for the cooler-than-thou to mock the absurdities of 1980s teen movies, especially musical ones, it is much better to just sit back and revel in the glorious joy (and big hair) of it all. If you accept them on their own terms as they segue smoothly into positive resolutions of their character's seemingly big life issues, sometimes they surprise you and turn out to have some depth. I really do not need too many movies that take the other route and wallow relentlessly in misery and hopelessness, I have real life for that.

While this is mainly about the teens, there are some terrific older supporting characters. Musician Magnus Uggla is fabulous as Kristoffer, the gay music club owner with an eye on his pretty young friend Kim. He just needs to wait for the ambivalent Kim to work through his infatuation with girlfriend Mia, then he will come over fully to the other side. Or that is apparently what Kristoffer hopes, anyway. In the meantime he functions as the sympathetic, tolerant and sometimes wise older friend.
a.jpg
But my favorite character is Mia's father, the grumpily conservative gas station / auto repair shop owner and part-time sea captain, who turns out to be the best support a troubled young man (here, Robban) could find.
b.jpg
Notes on the translation:
Spoiler:

The English subtitles are translated mainly from the Swedish, with some additions from the Danish subtitle. There is a very small amount of SDH, and many song lyrics. I am no lyricist and I have a hard time making sense of lots of songs written in English, so I did not attempt a poetic translation of the Swedish songs. That part is just straightforward machine translation with a few corrections. For the dialog itself I attempted to make a reasonable fairly modern (American) English facsimile of 1980s Stockholm teen-speak. That was much easier than figuring out early-20th century Swedish rural idioms, which is what I had encountered in the Astrid Lindgren filmed stories. I was actually alive in the 1980s!

There was one song included that was definitely NOT written for the film, as it was already a big hit.
{Jon & Vangelis - I'll Find My Way Home - YouTube}:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Qg2wYRmRc

Oh yeah, I remember that from way back then, but I never really paid attention to the words.

The Swedish subtitles did not have those lyrics, probably because the DVD company did not want to pay royalties. The English lyrics were easy enough to find online, so I added them in. They may prove an effective distraction for those easily bored with the glowingly romantic teen frolic sequence it plays over. I think that part is one of the major highlights of the movie and you may also, but others have different tastes...

If anyone can figure out what English-language song is being sung by the two young lovers
at 1:27:53-1:28:15
then please let us know.
I had to give up on transcribing the strange lyrics because I could not get past their Swedish accents and seemingly odd word choices. I don't see it listed in the soundtrack credits, and Googling the parts I understood did not work for me.
Thank you again deadman, this was a lot of fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:04 am English subtitles for the movie and for the retrospective featurette:
G (1983).ENGLISH-SRTS.zip

Thank you again deadman, this was a lot of fun!

You're welcome. And thank you for the work you put into creating English subs! It will make the movie a lot more watchable, to have more than a vague notion of what's going on.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:34 am
Yours is the Swedish DVD9, correct?
Night457
Global Moderator

It must be, from the size and the very Swedish menu:
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

I had the right drive already plugged in!

I am interested in that 1080p version, hint hint.

I never had complaints about the mulitple German DVDs I have, but there is no denying that Svensk Filmindustri does great restorations that make great DVDs.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:58 pmYours is the Swedish DVD9, correct?

Yes it is. Afaik there are no other versions.

Night457 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:48 pmI am interested in that 1080p version, hint hint.

What 1080p version are we talking about here? Is it an AI upscale of the DVD or a true 1080p webrip?
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:45 pm
deadman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:37 pmWhat 1080p version are we talking about here? Is it an AI upscale of the DVD or a true 1080p webrip?
I found a 1080 web-dl at a very reputable place. It won’t necessarily mean it’s a 35mm rescan but it’s definitely untouched 1080p Web-dL of a legitimate Streamen site/provider.

Could you possibly post it? That would be appreciated! :biggrin
Night457
Global Moderator

I will guess that the sfanytime stream turned out to be the HD source.