(we need to) Talk about Bella Ramsey vs Ellie

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Triela

(we need to) Talk about Bella Ramsey vs Ellie

Post by Triela »   0 likes

While Bella was fierce in GoT, she was also much, much younger, and her nose hadn't become so huge yet. Also, her cheeks weren't so ugly red then. Let's face it, she's clearly has, to use a euphemism, non-standard features, and that's just her face. I don't really see a future for her, even though she's a good actress. She does have a good resume, and there's a body positivity wind blowing in Hollywood. But amongst the Tilda Swintons and the Rossy de Palma's of the acting bizz, she is something else: her features are truly out of wack. Especially when she replaces a girl like Ellie, with an idealized face, according to beauty standards... it's a challenge.
It's not just the nose, it's also that the position of her eyes is odd and wrong, her mouth is too small, no lips, and none of it in an "interesting" way. It's all asymmetric AF, too! I mean, I'm sure there will be some people who don't care about her looks, but much more who do. And getting even slightly overweight is a big no-no.
Rebel Wilson is ... losing weight and she DOES have a pretty face, just like Melissa McCarthy....

Thoughts? (other than "you sexist toxic defender of the status quo", that is ....)

[Image]
goku33

Re: (we need to) Talk about Bella Ramsey vs Ellie

Post by goku33 »   2 likes

I talked about this in the other thread with you.

I consider myself a superficial person when it comes to looks. Ramsey is indeed not beautiful when it comes to beauty standards with face symmetry etc.

I do think she will have a good career and her acting is good and while I’m skeptical in the beginning she always delivers with her performances so I can’t complain. I also try to never be too rough on people that weren’t lucky with their facial features. I think it’s even possible that she has some kind of genetic disorder or defect that caused her eyes and nose looking like they do. But maybe this is too far stretched from me.

The contrast to game Ellie is enormous since Ellie character’s face has a cuteness and is „traditionally good looking“.

I’d be really curious what other actresses Could have been casted as Ellie and how their performance would have been.

To make it as an actress she does not need standard beauty at all. According to her Wikipedia she’s gender fluid / doesn’t care about pronouns etc. and don’t forget she’s British so she doesn’t necessarily have to rely on Hollywood like a Jennifer Lawrence did.she could always just do some British drama Television shows.

All in all, let’s not be too hard on her. She seems like a genuine person
Triela

I do agree with most, all, you said. I just wonder if she really has a chance. Maybe she does, it certainly seems like the right era for a non-standard cute woman. Or I should say, the era is less wrong. But any 15 year old actress could've played Ellie. To pick her is not SO brave of the producers, given the yuuuuge popularity she had after Game of Thrones and the bit part she had in "His Dark Materials"
I’d be really curious what other actresses Could have been casted as Ellie
For starters, the lead from ‎that show, [Image], would've been a great Ellie, and she's a year younger.

And as far as Anglo-Spanish actresses go, [Image]
?

Or Bella's co-star in "His Dark Materials" Ella Schrey-Yeats who plays[Image]
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:17 pm
Ramona Marques looks nice and probably could pull off a younger look. Dafne Keen - a tremendous acting talent for sure (her breakthrough was with "Logan" with Hugh Jackman). I’ve watched His-Dark-Materials and she was fantastic in it. Especially the first season has a special vibe.

Dafne just turned 18, they must have shot the last season of HisDarkMaterials 1-2 years ago during the pandemic I think.

In the last few episodes where she also briefly makes out with her male co-star, I already noticed that her body has become much more feminine and maybe even curvy. She already had some boobs 2-3 years ago.

Now some of her Latina genes comes through :D she definitely also falls Into a category of not-standard beauty. Her face is very expressive and special but I like it. She’s got a lot of personality. And doesn’t seem fake at all.

I‘m curious how young they could still make Dafne Keen look now or 1-2 years ago if she would have played Ellie. Bella Ramsey definitely pulls off the role of a younger person (than the actress‘ real age).
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:41 pm
Triela wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:17 pm
Ramona Marques looks nice and probably could pull off a younger look. Dafne Keen - a tremendous acting talent for sure (her breakthrough was with "Logan" with Hugh Jackman). I’ve watched His-Dark-Materials and she was fantastic in it. Especially the first season has a special vibe.

Dafne just turned 18, they must have shot the last season of HisDarkMaterials 1-2 years ago during the pandemic I think.

In the last few episodes where she also briefly makes out with her male co-star, I already noticed that her body has become much more feminine and maybe even curvy. She already had some boobs 2-3 years ago.

Now some of her Latina genes comes through :D she definitely also falls Into a category of not-standard beauty. Her face is very expressive and special but I like it. She’s got a lot of personality. And doesn’t seem fake at all.

I‘m curious how young they could still make Dafne Keen look now or 1-2 years ago if she would have played Ellie. Bella Ramsey definitely pulls off the role of a younger person (than the actress‘ real age).
Dafne Keen is great, but she seemed a bit too old for His Dark Materials considering a major plot point is demons can transform up until the age they reach puberty, and from then on are fixed to the same animal species. And she looked older than the age you'd expect in Season 1, definitely in Season 2. So not surprised if you're saying she turned 18 in Season 3.
The girl in the ill-fated movie version looked about 13 - which seemed closer to the right age for the role.
Still it's not as bad as the cast of Grease. Mid 20s to early 30s playing high-schoolers!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:44 pm Dafne Keen is great, but she seemed a bit too old for His Dark Materials considering a major plot point is demons can transform up until the age they reach puberty, and from then on are fixed to the same animal species. And she looked older than the age you'd expect in Season 1, definitely in Season 2. So not surprised if you're saying she turned 18 in Season 3.
She actually just now turned 18. She must have been just 14 during filming of Season 1.

[Image] [Image]

Few years earlier during "Logan"
[Image] [Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I adore Dafne in everything I have seen her in (which sadly is not enough), but it is clear they were casting a name-star for His Dark Materials rather than someone of the "right" age. I could not help but notice that most of the time even in season one she was wearing lumpy, shapeless clothing that hid her body. OK, we'll pretend she is a pre-adolescent. She acted the part of Lyra well. (I have not read the books, so the book fans may disagree.)

Although I have to admit that my favorite HDM character is the lead villainess Mrs. Coulter.
mexlink

Post by mexlink »   1 likes

Even if Bella doesn't find much work in the future in Hollywood, I think she can still excel in British movies/shows. I've watched a lot of British movies/shows lately, and they seem to focus heavily on acting skills than looks when it comes to casting characters.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

mexlink wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:13 am Even if Bella doesn't find much work in the future in Hollywood, I think she can still excel in British movies/shows. I've watched a lot of British movies/shows lately, and they seem to focus heavily on acting skills than looks when it comes to casting characters.
Yes, it’s like French, German, Czech television & cinema industry - not comparable to Hollywood and it’s Beauty standards. Europe got mostly character actors/actresses compared to all the detectives/cops/doctors/lawyers looking like Topmodels on Law&Order, Grey’s Anatomy, Chicago Med, Suits, CSI, NCIS
Triela

goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:41 pm Now some of her Latina genes comes through :D she definitely also falls Into a category of not-standard beauty
If and only if you deem Latinas as "non-standard" which I don't, especially given zee likes of Alexis Bledel, Cameron Diaz and of course Selena Gomez....
.... if she would have played Ellie. Bella Ramsey definitely pulls off the role of a younger person (than the actress‘ real age).
Best Ellie ever is the SelfDrillingSMS Ellie .....

[Image]
Or is that Sarah...?