LosslessCut - Cut videos without quality loss or re-encoding

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
goku33

LosslessCut - Cut videos without quality loss or re-encoding

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

ghost
Site Admin

Re: LosslessCut - Cut videos without quality loss or re-encoding

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks, goku33.

It looks very basic and you can't cut frame by frame. It's doesn't support AC3. Just my first impression after a short test.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:17 pm Thanks, goku33.

It looks very basic and you can't cut frame by frame. It's doesn't support AC3. Just my first impression after a short test.
Yes, it definitely has limitations. Similar to how it is when I cut with ffmpeg directly without re-encoding. (Losslesscut just uses ffmpeg in the background anyways).

It’s not so much suitable for exact video editing. But fantastic for example for when I got 3 huge 1080p.WEB-DL files of the film „Sara“ (1997) and want to share short clips for comparison :)

To be fair I mostly use ffmpeg and had a script that does everything automatically. I don’t think ac3 should be a problem with ffmpeg directly. (-acodec copy) although I could assume losslesscut has it disabled cause it leads to asynchronous audio maybe.

By the way, I need to manually subscribe to a topic (I created) to receive notifications, correct? I didn’t subscribe to this topic and didn’t receive a notification of your response..
ghost
Site Admin

I prefer VideoReDo for lossless cutting. It's not for free, but easy to use and you can cut exactly the frames you want to cut.
By the way, I need to manually subscribe to a topic (I created) to receive notifications, correct? I didn’t subscribe to this topic and didn’t receive a notification of your response..
:shock:
I never heard this before. Really?

Maybe mimzy should answer to it...
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:48 pm
:shock:
I never heard this before. Really?

Maybe mimzy should answer to it...
No, you should not need to subscribe to a topic to get notifications about posts that quote one of your posts. You might have that notification shut off, however.

Click the outline of a person in the top bar of the FLM page
and select User Control Panel
User Control Panel.jpg
Check "Board preferences / Edit notification options" to be sure that "Someone quotes you in a post" has "Notifications" checked. You can also check "Email" if you like getting emails.
notification options.jpg
If you really want to Subscribe to a topic to get notifications for all posts, you can click it on the top of the page above the thread:
subscribe topic button.jpg
subscribe topic button clicked.jpg
You will need the appropriate notification options clicked.

Dating back to well before I was a Moderator I read all posts and have never subscribed to any topic, so this was not an issue for me.

NOW mimzy can include any additional comments as needed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

You will need the appropriate notification options clicked.
Oh! That's the trick. I think I never had to do this as admin. Thanks, Night!
goku33

Night457 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:08 pm
I think I’m getting notifications when someone quotes me, yes. Which is why I also always used quoting feature to respond to others. But I didn’t get notifications when it was a regular thread that I had posted in previously and someone responded to me without a quote. (On some other sites You automatically get subscribed for notifications when you’ve posted in a Thread).
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:14 amBut I didn’t get notifications when it was a regular thread that I had posted in previously and someone responded to me without a quote. (On some other sites You automatically get subscribed for notifications when you’ve posted in a Thread).
That sounds awful. I would get hundreds of notifications every week! Have you seen how many posts that YOU have made already? Do you really want a notification when someone posts anything in any of those threads? OK. (Though I don't see how a board can tell when someone is responding to you specifically unless they quote you.)

You have to manually subscribe to threads you have a particular interest in, and set your notification options so that you get a notification for your subscribed topics. There is also the option to get a notification if someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked. Well darn, that one is news to me. Is the site reading what we have bookmarked in our browser? I dunno.

I for one am glad that the default is only for notifications to someone quoting my post. They might want a response from me, but I don't need notifications for the many threads I posted in just once. I am going to read every single post anyway, which I did before it became a Moderator obligation for me. But I might just deal with the notifications first.
goku33

Night457 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:59 am You have to manually subscribe to threads you have a particular interest in, and set your notification options so that you get a notification for your subscribed topics. There is also the option to get a notification if someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked. Well darn, that one is news to me. Is the site reading what we have bookmarked in our browser? I dunno.

I for one am glad that the default is only for notifications to someone quoting my post. They might want a response from me, but I don't need notifications for the many threads I posted in just once. I am going to read every single post anyway, which I did before it became a Moderator obligation for me. But I might just deal with the notifications first.
Quoting is just a tiny hassle for me at times. It would be easier to just type @Night which in other forums would be called user mentioning. Or did I miss this here..with phpBB ?
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:17 am Quoting is just a tiny hassle for me at times. It would be easier to just type @Night which in other forums would be called user mentioning.
I prefer your minimalist approach to someone quoting an entire long post, that's for sure. I had seen your @Night type posts and totally understood what you were doing, even though I was not aware it was a "forum thing". (I just have not been involved in other forums that much.) I think it is a reasonable way to address someone specifically in a post that will still be of general interest, so that people know at least WHO you are responding to when you say something like "That is crazy talk! Let me explain and set you straight." Sometimes you think your post will be the very next one after the one you are answering, but then WHOOPS someone will sneak one in ahead of you. It can make your own post suddenly seem wrong-headed.

Quoting is useful for giving a quick reminder of exactly WHAT a person is responding to. You may have noticed I am very selective in what I quote, because my response will be long enough as it is. :roll: It is much easier to do that sort of thing with a full keyboard than for those who are browsing and posting on FLM with their phones. That I could not do.