[REQ] Im toten Winkel AKA In the Blind Spot (2023)

Nasuada

[REQ] Im toten Winkel AKA In the Blind Spot (2023)

Post by Nasuada »   3 likes

[Image]
A German documentary film project in north-eastern Turkey. Simone wants to learn more about Hatice, whose son was abducted a quarter of a century ago. Storytelling to prevent forgetting, rituals to contest disappearance. The lives of the Kurdish people – lives lived in a blind spot – are characterised by violence and resistance to an uncertain existence. Strange incidents soon overshadow the filming as well: turning up alongside interpreter Leyla and directly in front of the camera is the neighbour’s little daughter Melek, with her pretty purple dress and a mysterious gaze that goes right through you. What follows is a subtly framed, coldly brutal political thriller told in three chapters and from multiple perspectives. For it is not only the strategies of sinister organisations and the logic of paranoia that is the focus of this clever and complex cinematic conundrum, but the act of seeing itself – in all its dimensions, from observation to prophecy. The blind spot is in fact trauma, of the transgenerational kind. German-Kurdish director, screenwriter and producer Ayşe Polat stages it to perfection.
Source: Berlinale

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26448958/

Trailer (Only in German with german subs)

[Image]

I give it a Rating from 4 of 5 Stars. Interesting thriller who's a german production but play in turkey. It's splitted in three parts and each part showing a different view of the different protagonist's and there is a girl (Melek) who is very special, because she talking about things who are happen, but she don't see them and say, that she got the info from a guy who is her "invisible friend". But yep, the idea with the different views is not the newest. If you watched Vantage Point or Déjà Vu, you got a bit a Déjà Vu ;-) but a complete different story.

Çağla Yurga, the little Girl Melek, has also a profile on Insta: https://www.instagram.com/caglayurgaofficial/?hl=de
Last edited by Nasuada on Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REQ] Im toten Winkel AKA In the Blind Spot (2023)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Woah! I predict I will need subtitles for this one. I have not seen a good political thriller in forever. Thanks, Nasuada, for showing us all the movies we should be looking out for!
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   0 likes

Looks interesting, thanks for letting us know about it Nasuada! :)
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:27 am Woah! I predict I will need subtitles for this one.
That is often a strange problem, because all movies at the Berlinale running with english subs or german & english (no joke... Double Subs).

And with most releases this subs are going lost sometimes. I don't understand why they create subs and put them in the trash forever.

Well, we will see what happen with this movie, but I think they will deliver only German subs for this movie, because there are some turkish spoken parts who need a translation. And that can be translated :-)

Around the release... It's a co-production of WDR and ARTE, so I'm sure there will be a release in the future.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:09 pm That is often a strange problem, because all movies at the Berlinale running with english subs or german & english (no joke... Double Subs).
That is because it is a huge festival that attracts an international crowd. The Cannes film festival screens films with French and English subtitles.
And with most releases this subs are going lost sometimes. I don't understand why they create subs and put them in the trash forever.
Oh, I don't believe they go in the trash. I think it is a licensing issue. Professional subtitlers do their work for pay, and like everyone else they expect to get paid every step of the way. It is the same problem with songs and music used in a theatrical release of a movie, or on a broadcast television show. That is ALL the artists got paid royalties for in many cases. If it gets released on DVD, the musicians have to get paid royalties again. Sometimes they demand more than those releasing it on home media want to pay, so some songs get left out of the DVD and replaced with something else.

So all we have to do is pay for the subtitles and we'll have them. Imagine if opensubtitles.org had a setup like iTunes, where we could pay €3 for each subtitle? :mrgreen:

When this shows up on ARTE streaming, it should have German SDH captions for all the dialog, not just the Turkish portion. So then we have the movie and the subtitles, problem solved!
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Thanks for your thoughts around the subs and payment. That's sounds like the real reason who I don't think about.
[Image]
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Movie will run from tomorrow in German cinemas.
[Image]