[REL] Flickan och dimman aka The Girl in the Mist (1997) short [Sweden]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
pillowbaker

[REL] Flickan och dimman aka The Girl in the Mist (1997) short [Sweden]

Post by pillowbaker »   25 likes

Flickan och dimman
aka
The Girl in the Mist - a short film from Sweden
in Swedish language with manually edited English subs by me! :D

Svensk filmdatabas link. My first REL without an imdb page.

[Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

no frills, spoiler free synopsis:
Ten-year-old Sima is on her way home from school in the thick fog when she stumbles upon a man in the woods who requests her help. During her search for help in the nearby village, she meets some of the strange residents and has some odd interactions and experiences.

This was a fun, 27 minute short that I came across while randomly browsing FLM material on youtube. I was immediately interested because it had little information about it, and no subs. The overall misty atmosphere filled with strange denizens made me want to find out more about what was going on. While a fun short film, it is overall just okay. It does touch upon some social issues, but doesn't rub it in your face (it was made in 1997, after all). The focus is much more on Sima's little adventure and the quirky characters. And I was looking for an excuse to try my hands at AI subtitling! Please let me know what you think of the subs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

PLEASE NOTE: file audio is very quiet! Sorry about that. I put my VLC at 200% and it sounds a little better. It is my goal to mux in better audio from the vimeo file, once I learn the process. - - - - - Edit: ghost has created a superior file below.

1080p, original Swedish audio. Audio very subdued.
EDIT!! Link removed. Please grab ghost's superior upscale below.

AI generated English subs, manually edited in its entirety (edit: further revised and renamed to fit ghost's file):
Like this post to see ed2k links  [19.8 Kb]

Source is from youtube, from the channel of original production company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqRF2aqTJo

Vimeo link, 360p, audio level normal:
https://vimeo.com/54055688

Note about translation:

I ran the audio through an AI subtitle creator, then tweaked the audio and ran it again. I then used google and deepl on each set, for a total reference of 5 translations to compare with each other. I rewrote and re-timed nearly every line! I combed over every word. Some lines required pondering away from the computer to resolve. Check 'em out.

Random note I found from a reviewer:
Spoiler:

Curious little Swedish indie flick from the late 90s... ...my interest was mainly due to a cameo by punk legend Freddie Wadling of Liket Lever, Cortex and later Fläskkvartetten fame. His screen time was minimal and consisted of smoking in a wrecked Volvo Amazon, which was of course incredibly kool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Tue May 09, 2023 6:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Flicka och dimman aka The Girl in the Mist (1997) short [Sweden]

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Great! I have been wondering about the project you were posting about. I look forward to watching this one. Thanks!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Great! Thank you, pillowbaker. Why did't we have this short here yet?

I did a quick look at the subtitles. Very good job! :thumbsup
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:52 am Flickan och dimman

PLEASE NOTE: file audio is very quiet! Sorry about that. I put my VLC at 200% and it sounds a little better. It is my goal to mux in better audio from the vimeo file, once I learn the process.
If you have "mkvmerge GUI" you can just drop both files into that and hope they align, or shift one forward or backwards by typing eg 1000 or -1000 into the delay field to delay one by 1 second (1000ms) or add 1s. You can then deselect the track you don't want to keep.
Otherwise you can speed ramp the audio of one of them by dropping it into Audacity - but the audio has to be in a compatible format to edit in that.
I'd never try and edit the video speed - only the audio.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

...or you just could increase the audio volume. XMediaRecode has a nice feature for that.

[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Flickan och dimman aka The Girl in the Mist (1997) short [Sweden]

Post by ghost »   18 likes

Cropped, nicer colors, topazed and higher audio volume:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [897.69 Mb]

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Wowee thanks ghost! I didn't know topaz could do such great work increasing image quality from 1080p to 1080p, but then, why wouldn't it? Downloading asap!

Thanks again for often cleaning up the video files that I share. ;) I don't know why, I just get hung up on these films that have such noticeable flaws. :P

I have some silly anecdotes about some of the things I came across while working on this one.

When Jörgen is mentioned, it is often with the occupation he's known for. Depending on what whisper heard, it changed throughout the film, and I thought it was an intentional part of the movie, to add to its "misty strangeness" atmosphere.

There is only one Jörgen, the tinsmith.
Make sure he takes the tractor.

or

There is only one Jörgen, the songwriter.

or

There is only one Jörgen, the recording manager.

etc.

When I first saw it, I did not think that it would be unusual for a local songwriter in Sweden to have a tractor, and I didn't question it! Eh, I though, probably a Swedish thing. But after listening closely to the Swedish, it wasn't changing the occupation title, and the the AI was just picking up variations of words that are similar sounding in Swedish. "Anyone know where Jörgen lives. You know, the chocolatier with the tractor."

Just rewatched it with ghost's version while writing this (which looks so good!), and I have fixed a few errors I found in the subs. I fixed the timings on several lines, merged a few of them, and I figured out what was being said on the very first line, which the subtitler AI was never able to catch. I also fixed Sima's name, which I misheard as Lima while watching.

I did rewatch it before posting, but I am assuming I would find fixes every time I watch it.

Emule link adjusted above and here's the attachment:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks for subtitles 2.0, pilowbaker! :thumbsup

Even your first version seemed pretty perfect to me.

There's only one line, I would change:
The hour is 17.
to
It's 5 pm.
or
It's 5 o'clock.
Night457
Global Moderator

Those crazy Swedes and their military time! If only I could be that rational.
Night457
Global Moderator

I don't have time for full movies, but I am just starting to get caught up on the shorts. I enjoyed this one, thanks!

The subtitles were great. The only thing that *I* would nitpick about is this:
Spoiler:

00:15:16,660 --> 00:15:18,500
Well, if I don’t help him,
00:15:18,960 --> 00:15:22,240
he will throw away all of our letters.
00:15:22,680 --> 00:15:23,740
Yes, what was I saying?
00:15:24,260 --> 00:15:25,460
He is not wise.
In that last line, "inte klok" IS literally "not wise" or "not sensible", but I have always seen it mean figuratively "crazy" / "not sane" / "out of one's head" / "off his rocker" / "insane in the membrane" etc...

(Little sister Lisbet was always telling Madicken that she was CRAZY in the Astrid Lindgren stories: "Du är inte klok, Madicken!" / "You are crazy, Madicken!")