Mullvad (VPN provider) to permanently remove port forwarding feature entirely,

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
goku33

Mullvad (VPN provider) to permanently remove port forwarding feature entirely,

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

https://mullvad.net/en/blog/2023/5/29/r ... ded-ports/

https://web.archive.org/web/20230529121 ... ded-ports/

More discussion:
https://old.reddit.com/r/mullvadvpn/com ... orts_blog/

Truly a sad day for us using this feature legitimately for torrenting and eMule. But people apparently abused this feature for illegal things (see reddit comments).

Now..if I want to continue using emule with highID..I need to look for another vpn (airvpn or ivpn etc). Or I’ll try to download with lowID. But I loved having the option to create my own torrents and eMule links!

And Mullvad is otherwise a fantastic product, company etc.
Last edited by goku33 on Mon May 29, 2023 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Mullvad (VPN provider) to permanently remove port forwarding feature entirely,

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Damn! I was looking forward to trying Mullvad when my AirVPN expired for comparison purposes. And IVPN looks like it is more expensive. Hmmm.

No one need worry :|, illegal online activity is NOT dependent on port forwarding, of all things. What a lame excuse they have.
goku33

Re: Mullvad (VPN provider) to permanently remove port forwarding feature entirely,

Night457 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:31 pm Damn! I was looking forward to trying Mullvad when my AirVPN expired for comparison purposes. And IVPN looks like it is more expensive. Hmmm.

No one need worry :|, illegal online activity is NOT dependent on port forwarding, of all things. What a lame excuse they have.
Yeah, I also found it weird. Like people can still upload illegal content from Mullvad IP addresses.. but allegedly people used the port forwarding to directly host or p2p distribute CSAM. What I don’t get is…even with port forwarding it’s not like Mullvad is actually storing any content? Cloudflare is literally used on thousands of illegal sites and has been able to always claim in court that they aren’t the actual host of data (and cloudflare actually even caches data of these sites for faster delivery).
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Wow that's too bad! I had cancelled my last vpn some time ago (didn't need it for highID, and it didn't allow port forwarding) and was considering mullvad next, as it had a lot of folks at reddit recommending it. Let me know about how your next vpns work out for you guys! Otherwise, I guess I am gonna try out airvpn.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Well pillowbaker, I am not sure if you need port forwarding at all if you do not need it to get HighID. Do you have any connection issues with torrenting? If you do not need port forwarding, then you have a huge number of VPNs to choose from -- not just AirVPN.

I have only ever used AirVPN and only did so because of the port forwarding I needed for eMule HighID. I do not have anything to compare it to, so I can not recommend anything one way or another.
goku33

Night457 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 am Well pillowbaker, I am not sure if you need port forwarding at all if you do not need it to get HighID. Do you have any connection issues with torrenting? If you do not need port forwarding, then you have a huge number of VPNs to choose from -- not just AirVPN.

I have only ever used AirVPN and only did so because of the port forwarding I needed for eMule HighID. I do not have anything to compare it to, so I can not recommend anything one way or another.

What is ghost using for his highID?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

What is ghost using for his highID?
I also use AirVPN. It's not expensive, offers port forwarding, good speed and has many servers around the world. They claim that they don't store data, but you never know if that's true. After all, they were founded by privacy activists.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 am If you do not need port forwarding, then you have a huge number of VPNs to choose from -- not just AirVPN.
Wish that was the case. The moment I turn on a vpn, it's lowID only and limited torrenting ability, and no way around it. Unless, I suppose, the vpn offered port forwarding, which my previous attempt with another brand did not. And the lowID I had nearly disabled any downloading from emule at all, no matter now many sources were available.

I really should use a vpn for a slight bit of increased privacy. Right now I have nothing besides a basic firewall.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:55 pm What I don’t get is…even with port forwarding it’s not like Mullvad is actually storing any content? Cloudflare is literally used on thousands of illegal sites and has been able to always claim in court that they aren’t the actual host of data (and cloudflare actually even caches data of these sites for faster delivery).
Cloudflare never promised to hide sites from LEA. They claim that they are not responsible for illegal content, but they do share data with LEA. If you say that Cloudflare is used on thousands of illegal sites, then it's just that LEA hasn't been able to shut down these sites even though they have the IP addresses, and Cloudflare refuses to take action on their side.

I'm afraid all VPNs stop port forwatding sooner or later unless they find a way to cooperate with LEA and still keep the users :(

Or next time LEA says that illegal content is being shared from my IP, I will also say that it's not me and I do not know who it is and I don't host the content anyway, so everything is fine ;)
goku33

pillowbaker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:06 pm
Night457 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:29 am If you do not need port forwarding, then you have a huge number of VPNs to choose from -- not just AirVPN.
Wish that was the case. The moment I turn on a vpn, it's lowID only and limited torrenting ability, and no way around it. Unless, I suppose, the vpn offered port forwarding, which my previous attempt with another brand did not. And the lowID I had nearly disabled any downloading from emule at all, no matter now many sources were available.

I really should use a vpn for a slight bit of increased privacy. Right now I have nothing besides a basic firewall.
https://old.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/co ... ding_2022/

https://old.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/co ... vpns_2022/