he asks them to calm down

All empty lines left to it are leftovers there are no holes in subs
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Mords Pas On t'Aime (Beiß nicht, man liebt dich) 1976

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

00:53:11,078 --> 00:53:13,000

00:53:09,701 --> 00:53:11,053
I watched this scene again, and then I was confused so I had to look at the subtitles in Notepad. You are right about the order of the dialog with 746 coming before 745, but the timecode of subtitle 746 is also before the timecode of 745, so it still ends up playing in the correct order! Maybe there are some machines / software that give an error, but mine did not. The blank subtitle lines also do not cause problems.

I know from the proofreading help he gave some of my subtitles that ferdi111 has a good eye for detail. If these are the only errors he could find, that just reinforces my impression that these subtitles are really good. At worst, there were a few lines that went by too quickly for me to read, but I managed. Thanks again Harry789!
Harry789

Post by Harry789 »   1 likes

I agree ferdi111 has very good eyes! I think this mistake is due to the "fix common errors" function in subtitle edit, which confused a lot, (I recognized it too late). But surely you will find a lot of other errors, my English is not very good. Also the French words (e.g. cities George drives to with his truck) I wrote just down what I heard. Maybe a French speaking person could correct it.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   2 likes

That Ferederic was actually quite pleasant little high horse who likes to argue very much :D and has always something to say about every little thing :P
Night457
Global Moderator

Subtitle Edit is a wonderful tool, once a person figures out how to use it!

I guess it is a good thing my knowledge of French geography does not go beyond Paris. (That is, I know it is a big city somewhere in France.) I did not notice any problems with place names! :)

I may have a pretty good tolerance for slightly awkward English because of my years watching Hong Kong videos with burned-on Chinese & English subtitles, where the English part was mandated by the British colonial authority and the Chinese filmmakers did NOT care about having good translations. I know how bad subtitles can be. If I sat down with my red pen I would notice things that don't bother me when I am just watching and enjoying the movie.

I also have the humility that comes from realizing that anyone who knows English as a second language knows far, far more than I do. I only know one language.
darkeyes

Post by darkeyes »   0 likes

Could anyone please re-share the subtitles, please?

That google drive link is not working anymore, sadly. I've been looking for years for the subtitles, actually saw this movie in French way back then.
Harry789

Post by Harry789 »   2 likes

darkeyes wrote:Could anyone please re-share the subtitles, please?
Look at "opensubtitles.org"
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

Harry789 wrote:Look at "opensubtitles.org"
How about that! I wonder WHO shared those custom-made subtitles there? :D

Thank you, 'newbei117'.

Strangely, opensubtitles search is glitchy. If you slowly type "mords pas" it will give an autocomplete option for the film. If you quickly type or Copy-Paste "Mords pas, on t'aime!" and hit Enter with Language All, it gives no result! But if you type the German title "Beiss nicht, man liebt dich" or the English "Don't Bite, We Love You", it goes straight to the subtitle entry, which is under the French title.

No wonder opensubtitles is down several times a week.

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/imdbid-73405
darkeyes

Post by darkeyes »   1 likes

Oh now I feel stupid. I DID search on opensubtitles but like Night457 said, I used the French name (like I said my language is French) and for some reason didn't think to search it using English or German.

Thanks a lot!
Night457
Global Moderator

darkeyes wrote:Oh now I feel stupid.
I told my story precisely because I did NOT want you to feel stupid, in case you had checked there! The movie is a French film in French language with a French official title and the opensubtitles entry is that French title, so NORMALLY a search using that title would give you that result! You did not do anything stupid. If it had NOT been at opensubtitles, very likely someone at FLM would have posted a direct link on request. Like me.

But Harry789 said it was there, so I kept looking. I knew from experience that sometimes I have better luck using an alternate title. I also frequently search multiple subtitle sites with multiple alternate titles to find the ONE rare subtitle that is at ONE site.

Enjoy the show!