[REL] Walkabout (1971)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Walkabout (1971)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I only had this movie in 720p so far. I think I need to upgrade. ;)

So what's censored or uncensored? Someone mentioned it before...
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 pm So what's censored or uncensored?
I have repeatedly purchased this one on home media so I never had the need to get downloads or watch telly broadcasts and therefore have not seen them, but I suppose some humorless prudes might censor the scenes of perfectly natural bathing nudity.

I guarantee deadman's Criterion rip (2k scan) is uncensored, although the direct-download links would be either dead (zippyshare) or difficult to download (huge Mega). Of course there is always eMule, if you use that ...

The Remastered Blu-ray rips from 2020 on Rarbg would also be uncensored. They are presumably from the 2020 Second Sight (4k scan) blu-ray, which is even more gorgeous.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

So my choice will be https://rarbg.to/torrent/s4wcz1a

Thanks, Night.
Night457
Global Moderator

You aren't scared off by large files, are you ghost?

I notice that rip has both the new Second Sight commentary with the actor playing the little boy, AND the older Criterion commentary with the director and the actress.

(This is one of those films that I watched so many times that the commentaries made their way in there too.)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

No, why? I'm not in a hurry.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:52 pm
No, why? I'm not in a hurry.
Deadman also uploaded his version to Usenet. I also got the remastered version as nzb if u need it. Or 1080p encode (German/dual)
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:06 pm
ghost wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:08 pm So what's censored or uncensored?
(...) but I suppose some humorless prudes might censor the scenes of perfectly natural bathing nudity (...)
Wasn't that humorless prude Agutter herself, initially? Read somewhere that she tried to deny it was her, apparently because it's a wide-shot and not a close-up.
Night457
Global Moderator

Jenny Agutter has expressed her one “regret” about doing a nude scene when she was 16.

The actor, 69, had just turned that age when she started filming the 1971 film Walkabout, which is set in the Australian Outback.

Speaking about the experience, Call the Midwife star Agutter said in a new interview with The Times: “I was 16, and a young 16. But [director] Nic Roeg showed me pictures and said, we want to create something, a Garden of Eden. For him, it was a really important moment.

“But the film, to look at now, is very bleak. How progression takes us to hell and away from heaven. Is it possible to go back to it? The centre of the film has to be innocent. So I don’t regret that.”

However, she did say her one regret about the scene stems from a factor that’s out of her hands, explaining: “Unfortunately what has happened is ... the internet and social media taking it out and putting it wherever.

“Sorry, to the people who are perverted and wish to do that, but I am not a part of that. It’s that that I regret; not [being nude] in the film.”
- July 09 2022, https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 19418.html
What has been your most embarrassing moment?

In the film Walkabout, there was a sequence in which I swam naked in a natural rock pool in the Outback. It was a scene about innocence. It’s sad that years later shots were put on the internet ignoring the context and exploiting the nudity. It never occurred to me at the time it would be possible to do this.
August 08 2015, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/ ... ernet.html
Night457
Global Moderator

Jenny Agutter said in an interview years later that when the director first asked her to do the full nude swimming scene, she was reluctant because she was "a very reserved 16-year old girl." But after he explained his reasons for it and that it was a very important part of the story, she agreed to do it because she trusted him. The day of filming she was extremely nervous and felt uncomfortable, but she just went for it, took all her clothes off and kept swimming while they filmed her from several angles. Later, when she saw the final film, she agreed it was the right thing to do. It depicted the innocence of her character.
Jenny Agutter was embarrassed when doing the scene of her swimming naked in the lake, so as many as possible of the crew were sent away. When shooting was done they returned, stripped naked, and went for a swim.
Due to Jenny Agutter's and Luc Roeg's full-frontal nude scenes (one of which was re-shown over the closing credits), the film originally drew an "R" rating from the MPAA. It was reduced to "PG" on appeal because the scenes weren't considered sexual in nature. Decades later, when revised child protection laws were tightened and increased the age of nudity to 18 in films, the movie was reviewed again. But the board left the rating as is for the same reason.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067959/trivia/
Night457
Global Moderator

Jenny Agutter at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/a ... g-luc-roeg August 9 2016:
Nic wanted the scene in which I swam naked to be straightforward. He wanted me to be uninhibited – which I wasn’t. I was a very inhibited young woman. I didn’t feel uncomfortable about the intention of the scene, but that doesn’t make you feel any better. There was no one around, apart from Nic in the distance with his camera. No lights, nothing. Once he’d got the shot, I got out of the water and dressed as quickly as possible. I don’t think people were as obsessed with nudity back then as they are today.
Luc Roeg, same source:
I had to jump in the water naked too, which absolutely terrified me. I kept putting my hands in front of my crotch to protect my dignity. My dad yelled down from the clifftop: “Take your bloody hands away!” So I took them away and jumped straight into the cold water.