[REL] Le monde de Ludovic (1993)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Le monde de Ludovic (1993)

Post by ghost »   1 likes

So the original dubbing was in Dutch? I didn't know this. :think

For those who already started downloading the new eMule link:
I had to replace it again, because the audio wasn't in sync. Just in case...

I just watched this movie again after some years. I'm sure it will be one of my all time favourite movies 'til I die. :heart
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

No problem.

Imdb states original language as both Dutch AND French. Usually, I think, when multiple languages are listed, I thought it meant both languages were used extensively enough to be listed. I wonder if that's commonplace in Belgium.

It does seem to me the characters are dubbed over. Sync up is done pretty well, in some places well enough that it almost seems that it one of those movies that was designed from the beginning to have the characters dubbed over.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm If you can find a decent version under the original title De wereld van Ludovic it might at least have a decent quality Dutch soundtrack you could sync to the video.
That was my idea when I downloaded what seemed like dozens (?) of different versions of this movie from different sources, not including private trackers and Usenet. Every single one I could get called "De wereld ..." is actually in French or some other dub, like Russian. I could not find any version with Dutch audio. I downloaded any with the French or English title too, and promptly deleted most of what I downloaded. The best VIDEO quality is definitely here at FLM, even if ghost is perpetually dissatisfied with it.

There is no evidence I could find of a Dutch-language DVD or VHS, but that does not mean it did not exist, just that Belgian media releases might not get documented online very well. IMDB insists there was a Dutch-audio version, and as excellent as the French dub is it still seems like a dub to me. I spent a lot of time watching Bella's mouth for lip-sync. :D

Still, even if the on-set language spoken was Dutch or mostly Dutch, that does not mean it necessarily got released as anything but French. But it seems a no-brainer that the poly-lingual Belgians might have gone for the actual spoken language for the original TV broadcast on February 2, 1993.
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:22 amThe French version is so prominent that it almost seems the Dutch language version was never released.
You're telling ME! If what's-his-face shows up on Belgian nostalgia-TV stilll, surely they have shown the movie again. Either there or in the Netherlands are the only places one is likely to find the Dutch audio.

EDIT: more posts keep popping up while I compose this one, but I am done revising it and so I "Submit".
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:44 am I just watched this movie again after some years. I'm sure it will be one of my all time favourite movies 'til I die. :heart
See, pillowbaker? SEE????

WATCH!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 am EDIT: more posts keep popping up while I compose this one, but I am done revising it and so I "Submit".
:mrgreen: Looks like we hit an FLM primetime.

Edit:
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
:lol: lol now it's my turn
That was my idea when I downloaded what seemed like dozens (?) of different versions of this movie from different sources, not including private trackers and Usenet. Every single one I could get called "De wereld ..." is actually in French or some other dub...
My experience exactly. I did check a private tracker, and it's the same TVrip you've seen 14 times already.

You might be on to something, with searching for an original VHS release. I wonder about this.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

The best VIDEO quality is definitely here at FLM, even if ghost is perpetually dissatisfied with it.
Well.. Now... I must say I'm pretty pleased in comparision with the source file, which was a real bad quality TV rip.

Go, pillowman, WATCH!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 am Imdb states original language as both Dutch AND French. Usually, I think, when multiple languages are listed, I thought it meant both languages were used extensively enough to be listed.
The facts of the case are not super-obvious from an IMDB listing, unfortunately.

Well-known movie examples:

The Clint Eastwood western directed by Sergio Leone, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" (Original title: Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo) [1966] is listed as
Languages Italian English
The Italian release was post-sync-dubbed in Italian for all the actors, including those who spoke Italian on set. The international version was post-sync-dubbed in English, with Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef doing their own voices and professional voice actors dubbing the Italian cast. Each language has a separate movie version.

Francis Ford Coppola's Vietnam-war film "Apocalypse Now" [1979] is listed as
Languages English French Vietnamese
This is because all three languages are spoken in the same version, rather than dubbed separately into three different versions.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:20 amThe facts of the case are not super-obvious from an IMDB listing, unfortunately.

It's hard to tell if mouth movements are in sync with a language you don't speak fluently yourself, unless you can find where someone is talking slowly and enunciating clearly. At least some of the dialogue is in French. Sofie's family definitely speaks French at home. Looking at the scene in the school pool early on, it looks like the other boys may have been speaking something else (presumably Dutch). Can't be sure though.
Night457
Global Moderator

You are right about difficulty detecting sync, and I suspected that at least some of the characters may have been speaking French -- when I had the chance to check their dialog. Turning off the subtitles to avoid distraction is a good idea, and the first time I watched this I did not have any subtitles anyway. I checked just now and Ludovic's papa is TOTALLY speaking French; he has the French mouth movements and French gestures too. But I admit I did not spend much time watching the mouths of the other characters. My eyes were always on Bella. If she was not in a scene, I could watch the other people.

And we do not even know if any dialog was recorded live for use in the film. It could very well be that even if there was a Dutch-language version, I *still* would not get to hear Bella's actual voice, but a Dutch-speaking dubber. We at least know the French version has voices that fit the characters and the timing of the mouth movements. It was very well done and never awkward.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

I noticed no one was sharing the latest film. I think ghost quietly updated the emule link on me as I refreshed and loaded a different one from the post.