[REL] Dzieci z Leningradzkiego (2005) [Poland]

Any documentaries about children can go here.
David32441

Re: [REL] Dzieci z Leningradzkiego (2005) [Poland]

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:24 pm Thank you David32441. This looks to be a rough watch, I will have to give myself some time to prepare for it. I feel your pain for the audio manipulation and retiming. I was never successful attempting that sort of thing with Audacity. Hurrah!

Thank you kal for the eMule share, and congratulations on your first post!
You have to find a noise near the beginning. Visual clues such as a door slamming are far far easier than someone speaking. Really hard sometimes to look at someone talking and work out if it needs to go forwards or backwards! There wasn't much in this so I had to go with the girl talking at 2m07s, but the audio comes in about 0.1 seconds after the scene cuts to her.
The one near the beginning you can fix the timing by experimenting with "mkvmerges" audio delay, in this case 1700ms (1.7s). That gives you the start. Then I used Audacity's "Change tempo" it has a "percent change" number and a handy "Length (seconds)" which I experimented with increasing from 2014.07 -> 2017.4 (33m 37s). Then very importantly, crop that same number of seconds off the audio file at the end (usually silent), or I think mkvmerge will get confused by having an audio track run longer than the video and might try and change the audio speed to match the video length which will undo your changes. Then merge the wav audio as a new track into mkvmerge and test it. Check your audio near the beginning and a audio bit near the end. For me that was a clicking lighter at about 17m and a hammer and nail near the end :(
Then if it's out by say 0.5 seconds you go back to your "original" wav file and repeat, but add a tiny fraction more % until the length says 2017.9 and keep repeating until it's as near to perfect as you can be bothered!
When you're finally happy with the -1700ms - then take that off the wav file. Then encode that. I use RazorLame at 128kb. Make sure your new audio track is the default audio track, the old one is default=no, and you've added the subtitles!
Last edited by David32441 on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David32441

Some screenshots...

[Image]

[Image]
David32441

and in the blue waveform audio graph you want it to look like that, with no blue lines anywhere near the top and bottom of their boxes (the 1.0 on the graph scale) - or you'll get audio pops and clicks. If all the sound waves (they were in this video) are between 0 and 0.4 then the audio level is a bit too low, and should be normalised to look like mine.
David32441

ghost wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 pm
almost Ghost level :)
:lol:

Thanks David for your work. It really looks a lot better. :thumbsup
Thanks Ghost! Was a good project, shame about the sad subject matter!
David32441

Night457 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:24 pm Thank you David32441. This looks to be a rough watch, I will have to give myself some time to prepare for it. I feel your pain for the audio manipulation and retiming. I was never successful attempting that sort of thing with Audacity. Hurrah!

Thank you kal for the eMule share, and congratulations on your first post!
Tough watch? - one of the toughest! Be warned!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I have plenty of experience with MKVmerge, and I certainly understand about not spiking the audio. Probably my biggest problem with Audacity (other than the sheer number of things that can be done with it) is that I need a BIGGER monitor, so I can actually SEE all those tiny buttons and controls. A 36" display would be real nice so I can have my audio mixing board all nicely laid out and visible for my old eyes, then I could play with it.

Most likely the one time when I tried stretching audio and failed, it was because the end-goal video had additional footage and I just did not realize it. If that was the case I had zero chance of success keeping it consistently in sync. Still, even where it is possible I can see that it takes a lot of work and attention to detail. So I am glad you did it for us! :D Thanks!
David32441

Night457 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:16 am I have plenty of experience with MKVmerge, and I certainly understand about not spiking the audio. Probably my biggest problem with Audacity (other than the sheer number of things that can be done with it) is that I need a BIGGER monitor, so I can actually SEE all those tiny buttons and controls. A 36" display would be real nice so I can have my audio mixing board all nicely laid out and visible for my old eyes, then I could play with it.

Most likely the one time when I tried stretching audio and failed, it was because the end-goal video had additional footage and I just did not realize it. If that was the case I had zero chance of success keeping it consistently in sync. Still, even where it is possible I can see that it takes a lot of work and attention to detail. So I am glad you did it for us! :D Thanks!
I've not used much in Audacity - this is about it as much as I know, I don't do much with audio files. Know more about video, though never used anything like After Effects or the other advanced tools Ghost and others probably use.
I once tried syncing an original audio on a track, and it never worked, then I realised the film had a 1min cut in one of the files! I once tried working on a file that had cuts for adverts, where the sound would go out of sync every 25minutes by a few seconds! I then realised I didn't really want to watch it that much and gave up! But most of the time I carry on! Often the editing process can be a lot longer than the film, so sometimes I think I should just go watch some of the 100s of downloads!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

David32441 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:54 amI then realised I didn't really want to watch it that much and gave up!
It is painful to admit defeat, but it is smart to give up the battles that are not worth what is gained. There are lots of movies where a mediocre version is good enough.

I admit that sometimes it takes me awhile to become "smart". :oops:

The most complicated audio editing I have done is cutting and pasting some seconds of good audio from one source into another source where that section was damaged, but the rest of that audio track was superior. There was no tempo change involved, just careful lining up of the parts, down to the right frame.