[REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

David32441

Re: [REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

I've done 2 experimental encodes:
1. Topaz Artemis Medium Quality 50% + Topaz Artemis High Quality 50% - if you run the film twice. Then drop it into Shotcut you can set the transparency to say 50% on the top layer and get a mix of the 2. This achieves a very good look as Topaz HQ preseves a lot of detail but keeps too much noise. Medium quality throws away a bit too much detail for me.
2. Topaz Artemis Dehalo + Topaz Artemis High Quality . + VARYING IT WITH TIME!!! If you watch the 2nd video you will see the skin go from textured to smooth as it fades from HQ -> 100% DeHalo!!!
Topaz luckily produces each output without any pixel shifting - so you get a perfect overlay when dropped into Shotcut. It really is weird when you can go to the opacity slider and slide between somebody having smooth skin and little pits - like a de-aging effect on a slider!!!
The Dehalo was producing some nice effects and was similar to the medium quality.

You can see my 2 experiments here - only an 8mb download:
https://mega.nz/file/kAxhlaRZ#DVWdEqbci ... g-PMxzXrZ8

I think I'll do a 50% Dehalo - 50% HQ for the final encode.
Downside of doing a 2pass Shotcut encode is that it's going to take 2x 16 hours to render in Topaz! Wish I had a super-fast card like Ghost so as to do these in 3 hours!!!
From past experience (with L'Adolescente) the Shotcut encode only takes about 30mins. Then the final Handbrake encode another 30mins. They both take advantage of Nvidia's hardware accelerated mp4 encoding!

PS. my subtitles are complete! I want to give it a watch-through first though. I'm bound to have overlapped some subtitle or forgotten one.
Last edited by David32441 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David32441

Here's 2 screenshots from the 2nd video I mentioned:
A still where Artemis HQ (first) is at 100% vs Artemis DeHalo (similar to medium, but takes off halo's on high contrast scenes) at 100%.
[Image]
[Image]
The difference is really noticable in skin textures.
Not sure if people agree. Not so much in this scene but in others the HQ is too harsh and shows DVD mpeg noise. The 2nd is a bit too smooth - gives people a porcelain doll like appearance + can cause motion smearing. So a 50% blend will be a good mix.
Last edited by David32441 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
David32441

and this is a still from about halfway between the 2 showing a 50% blend:
[Image]
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

BTW - did anyone else realise the song over the end credits is sung by the lead actress Alice Papierski?
Last edited by David32441 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   5 likes

Done!
1.9gb encode at 720p (a 55-45% blend of Artemis HQ and Dehalo!)
Video + my translated subtitles!
There's some bonus subtitles at the end too!
https://mega.nz/file/tMA2FKJZ#DURZe9N0l ... 5-pye862M8 - part1
https://mega.nz/file/REpDSTpC#PwiuzffQs ... YT6UKjBBMc - part2
https://mega.nz/file/MFAmCCrS#6hdyCuidM ... o4awGGvOfI - part3
https://mega.nz/file/hBwSRDia#RClym8ggz ... knB-pfXinQ - part4
https://mega.nz/file/QFhDRLqb#WaCEQNwtd ... GFibqWYULM - part5
https://mega.nz/file/UZo3hLqJ#wVPr7TU9f ... k76YdncOm8 - part6
https://mega.nz/file/xAxBSQLT#ooLKUAQoV ... hDgnaTIYCg - part7
If somebody can do the usual and share it into Emule.
The video is an improvement over the DVD with the upscale. But like Ghost said it didn't really benefit too much from enhancement - lots of ghosting in scenes. Too much softness. But the subtitles are the main "new" benefit of this release. I think it worked on 95% of the dialogue. Be interested to hear feedback from anyone who gets to watch it! Personally, I'm totally blown away how good the translation turned out. Even in the nightclub scene with loud music and almost inaudible diaologue it got a few lines. In other scenes - almost every word, even the jokes. In the art gallery it recognised historical names. Didn't try and assume it was just dialogue - which the poorer translators do. Just constantly blown-away by how good it was! Anyway, enjoy!

Spoilers on my thoughts on the film having watched it with dialogue...
Spoiler:

The girl is a bitch! Especially near the end! Trying to kill poor Jean-Louis! Jean-Louis is very forgiving!
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

David32441 wrote:Done!
That's brilliant, sir. We much awaited this! :mrgreen:
Could you please make a 1 mega-post of this? (just 1 chunk instead of 7 chunks) or just 1 chunk mega-post while posting the subs here?

Don't go quietly into the night.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   3 likes

popdrome wrote:
David32441 wrote:Done!
That's brilliant, sir. We much awaited this! :mrgreen:
Could you please make a 1 mega-post of this? (just 1 chunk instead of 7 chunks) or just 1 chunk mega-post while posting the subs here?
You can rebuild the file if you have 7zip - probably Winrar too.
(For windows) get all the files into 1 folder. Right click on the 001 file and choose 7zip option. Then choose "extract to: \filename" and it'll rebuild it.
It took me 1-2hours to upload all the files so I'm reluctant to try a single upload unless it causes a big problem, instead of a slight inconvenience.
Also, I've found for downloading other Mega files they will throttle files bigger than about 1GB, really crash the speed with frequent popups asking you to buy bandwidth off them. The smaller files stop that I think. Also will help for people in developing countries maybe who have intermittent internet/power. For some places 2gb is still a slow download. In the future I might do bigger individual files so less tedious for others.
Normally somebody gets it and shares it into Emule on my behalf - I have lots of issues with sharing it into this - hint hint please someone :)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   116 likes

Yeah, yeah, David. I've been distracted by other things! ;)

David's new improved version with optional internal English subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.84 Gb]

Thank you, I enjoyed this much more now I could understand it!

Everything David says about Mega is true. I found it really super fast downloading, less than 10 minutes to download all the parts and extract them. No one is going to emule it off of me that fast, but it should be on emule anyway.

David's English subtitles extracted and unedited:
LaPetiteAllumeuse,FreAudio,EngSRT.zip
David, you have invited anyone to add to the missing dialog and improve the translation. By any chance do you still have the French subtitle file you created? If so please post it here as an attachment, like I did for the English! I personally am not capable of identifying French dialog but I am sure there are francophones here at FLM, and having a written version of what was figured out so far would help someone fill in the blanks. This could even be someone different from those who argue over the translation into English. Others may even want to translate the French separately into another language, perhaps Russian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

1.9gb encode at 720p (a 55-45% blend of Artemis HQ and Dehalo!)
Video + my translated subtitles!
Thanks, David! You did a great job, also with the subs :thumbsup
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Yeah, yeah, David. I've been distracted by other things! ;)

David's new improved version with optional internal English subtitles:
LaPetiteAllumeuse,FreAudio,EngSRT.mkv

Thank you, I enjoyed this much more now I could understand it!

Everything David says about Mega is true. I found it really super fast downloading, less than 10 minutes to download all the parts and extract them. No one is going to emule it off of me that fast, but it should be on emule anyway.

David's English subtitles extracted and unedited:
LaPetiteAllumeuse,FreAudio,EngSRT.zip
David, you have invited anyone to add to the missing dialog and improve the translation. By any chance do you still have the French subtitle file you created? If so please post it here as an attachment, like I did for the English! I personally am not capable of identifying French dialog but I am sure there are francophones here at FLM, and having a written version of what was figured out so far would help someone fill in the blanks. This could even be someone different from those who argue over the translation into English. Others may even want to translate the French separately into another language, perhaps Russian.
Problem is, for the lines the "translator" doesn't get - it's not hearing anything that sounds like dialogue! It just comes up with "speak clearer". It's either mumbled, slurred, said over the top of someone else speaking, background noise. For each one I'd run it again at different volumes - with the phone held at different distances, even different orientations - never got anything!!! This app, it doesn't write the French. It on the fly only writes the English.
I've timed these missed French lines. Got the ? symbol there for them in the right place. That's as much as I can do.With the SRT out people can use other apps to re-translate to another language.
I was going to share the English SRT - but a lot of work did go to the video enhancement too, so expected most would get the video paired with the subtitle.

For the end credits I made the Topaz blend switch to 100% "dehalo" as it looked nicer with that Topaz than in "Topaz Artemis HQ". That was the only scene I changed the blend from the 45-55% I mentioned earlier.
Last edited by David32441 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.