[REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

David32441

Re: [REL] La Petite allumeuse (1987)

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

I'm 32mins in the with the subtitling now - lots of dialogue in these French films!
There's a scene about 15mins into the film with 3 people shouting at once where it can't get anything. But I'm able to get a good translation on 90% of the film I think. It's actually my first time watching the film.
I've found as the DVD rip was 25fps, that just a blend function in Virtualdub has totally eliminated the blocky lines I was seeing. Now a lot happier with the video. And tested a few chunks in Topaz at 720p and getting a much better result now!
Will be interested to see your version popdrome! Thanks for taking up the challenge! And if mine isn't as good I'll abandon my effort!
I'd really like a setting between Medium and High on that Artemis setting. Medium seems to take out a bit too much detail and high assumes slightly too good quality for DVD rips. There's a slight halo effect too in the video. But the dehalo causes other artifacts.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   47 likes

Thanks david! I hope you get the gist of the dialogues.

I don't have time to post pictures now,
but I think managed to squeeze out a decent quality upgrade, for you all to check out now,

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.46 Gb]

Don't go quietly into the night.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks for doing the job, popdrome.

The result is like I expected:

[Image]
David32441

ghost wrote:Thanks for doing the job, popdrome.

The result is like I expected:

[Image]
This is scary - a really freaky coincidence! THIS 5 second scene is one where I realised my first attempt wasn't working too!
So I tested this very scene with different virtualdub filters and found a deinterlace setting in Virtual Dub (which is what I was running the DVD file through) and found one that totally eliminated these weird effects! See below screenshot of setting. I think because the film said it was 25fps already (ie. not 50fps interlaced) that VirtualDub's deinterlace worked better than the other deinterlace method you mentioned Ghost which I couldn't get working - that gave me better results when the frame count was doubled (50 or 60fps).
Give me a few hours and I'll get you a screenshot of this same scene with my reworked version at 720p... it's tot

[Image]
David32441

I'm also boosting the saturation by 5%
This is after applying the above filter, and with Artemis Medium -> 126.5% -> 720p:
[Image]
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

pff this is just silly, chaps. I posted what I posted, was quite clear about what I'd done.
Download my upgrade, which is just decent, and if you don't like it, toss it!
If you want to make a technical masterpiece be my guest.

David32441

popdrome wrote:pff this is just silly, chaps. I posted what I posted, was quite clear about what I'd done.
Download my upgrade, which is just decent, and if you don't like it, toss it!
If you want to make a technical masterpiece be my guest.

That line pattern was only really visible on the sharp diagonal lines - so not the worst interlacing effect. This one and a scene in the shopping mall was where it really stood out for me. I didn't think I could remove it and actually rendered out the film with it - something that takes my PC 15 hours!
But it's still an interlacing artifact that's worth trying to remove "if" we can. On a old CRT TV you'd never see it - but on modern TV's and monitors it can stand out and look unusual.
I initially gave up on trying to remove it - asked Ghost to have a go. But gave it another shot last week and got a noticable improvement.
Anyway - I'm only a third of the way subtitling it - so will probably release mine in a month or so when I've finished that. But given I'm likely to spend 30 hours on the subtitling I'm going to try again with the above setting - run another 15 hours - but the new test I did looks better than my first.
I posted the above screenshot as tips in there for anyone else who is doing their own projects. It's a very common problem when sourcing from DVD's - interlacing artifacts. Anyway I've always used VirtualDub as an intermediary between DVD -> mp4. Now I tend to go DVD -> Virtual Dub (crop / de-interlace) -> Topaz -> Handbrake.
if you want to see me try a technical masterpiece have a look at that other French film thread I've been posting on :D - I've spent a weekend doing individual frame clean-up in Photoshop!

Here's a similar crop though for anyone wanting to do a side-by-side...
[Image]
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   1 likes

No I have a plasma but I'm not really nit-picky. if it's 1080 progressive I'm happy, usually.
Thanks for the feedback david, and I look forward to your subtitles!! Godspeed man.

David32441

Post by David32441 »   3 likes

popdrome wrote:No I have a plasma but I'm not really nit-picky. if it's 1080 progressive I'm happy, usually.
Thanks for the feedback david, and I look forward to your subtitles!! Godspeed man.
Cheers. Halfway through the subtiling, minute 41 now :)
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

David32441 wrote:
popdrome wrote:No I have a plasma but I'm not really nit-picky. if it's 1080 progressive I'm happy, usually.
Cheers. Halfway through the subtiling, minute 41 now :)
Coming up on the hour mark... 2/3rds done!
I'm constantly amazed at how much it can translate, sometimes even with lots of background noise! There's talking in a nightclub scene around the 50 minute mark. It's pulling words and sentences that make senes where I'm struggling to hear there's even clear dialogue! And sometimes somebody spouts something at tremendous speed - and this Microsoft translator app speels out 15-25 words that are pretty much 2 or so clear sentences! Of course there's some it just can't get - and in those places I have "?" in place of the subtitle. Sometimes it makes sort of sense so I start the translation sentence with a "?" and write out what it thinks. Sometimes it misses up some genders. Using the masculine when clearly referring to what the daughter did. But I'm getting 90% of the dialogue.