[REL] Mariken (2000)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Mariken (2000)

Post by pillowbaker »   9 likes

ghost wrote:i got a german digital TV recording. If you want it, i will share it ;)
Pardon me for asking, mr. ghost, but do you still have this digital TV recording? I don't mind if it's in German. How does its quality compare to the dvdrip available? And would you still be willing to share it when you have time and bandwidth?

Someone has shared the Mariken novel on emule. I've downloaded it. It is probably in Dutch language but I haven't opened it yet to verify. I will be checking this out though!

Like this post to see ed2k links  [954.5 Kb]

edit: This is so cool! I love Dutch language very much and I was honestly hoping the book was in it's original language. I don't know much Dutch, but google seems to translate the text seamlessly. I tried DeepL also, and it perhaps does a slightly better job. Now if I can just find Sunu virs un Tille!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Pardon me for asking, mr. ghost, but do you still have this digital TV recording?
No, I'm sorry. I don't have it anymore. That was in 2008. :o
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

No worries, I'm happy enough with the original file and now, the original children's novel! Maybe I'll pick up the hunt in the future.

DeepL Translation wrote:Chapter 1 - In which Archibald is chased from the city and finds a little girl among the flowering gooseberries

[Image]

Long ago, when people did not wash often, there lived in a walled city an old eccentric. His name was Archibald. He did not like his neighbors. He thought they were stupid or bad and were annoyed by their noise. Together with his goat he lived in a little house made of wood that he had built himself.

Not far from the church Archibald had set up a stall. There he sold jars of ointment, bottles of herbal drinks and pills for pain.

One fine Sunday in May, Archibald sat behind his stall reading The Human Race is a Farce. The colossal book lay open on his lap. It was bound in dull glossy parchment and bursting with records and stories about the lives of people on earth.

A man looked at the jars and bottles.

"The Devil celebrates in my right leg," he said.

As he continued to read quietly, Archibald pointed to a bottle of herbal potion.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:59 amI tried DeepL also, and it perhaps does a slightly better job.
Indeed, the word on the street is that DeepL generally does better translation on large texts where it can use the surrounding context. I have not done that myself, however. I just like spreading rumors.

[EDIT: Holy cow! That translation is fantastic!]

I have also looked for higher quality video of the movie over the past months, but have found precious little. The best looking one I have found is this German-language version:

https://ok.ru/video/3709659515558

It is still only 640x360. The Dutch language soundtrack in the avi here at FLM does not quite synch to it, and I personally have no interest in doing audio stretching for a proper remux.

Quality comparison:

Czech version at Uloz
[Image]

Dutch s!Xvid.aliv.avi at FLM
[Image]

German at ok.ru
[Image]

[NOTE: Post edited to correctly identify the DUTCH language!!!]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   18 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 amIndeed, the word on the street is that DeepL generally does better translation on large texts where it can use the surrounding context. I have not done that myself, however. I just like spreading rumors.

I have also looked for higher quality video of the movie over the past months, but have found precious little. The best looking one I have found is this German-language version:

https://ok.ru/video/3709659515558
Thanks for that link, I think the quality difference is noticeable. I haven't been able to find too much either, and I accidentally downloaded the wrong Mariken movie TWICE (another Netherlands movie called Mariken van Nieumeghen often abbreviate to Mariken), though I did find this on a torrent somewhere:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.34 Gb]

It appears to be marginally better quality. Some of the larger filesize may be attributed to the additional Russian voiceover (on by default), but perhaps not all 500 megs. The audio sounds better to me, too. On audio, did you mean Dutch language for the version here?
[EDIT: Holy cow! That translation is fantastic!]
I know, right!! It has pretty much nailed the "children's novel" opening style. I am going through and machine-translating it a little bit at a time. I've never done this for an epub before and I'm looking at trying to make it do more than 5000 letters at a time. It's super exciting because I'll have a perfectly readable story afterwards! I get very excited with this sort of stuff!

edit: oh by the way, the google translation is nearly as good as deepl, and often nearly identical! However, deepl often has slightly better word choices in some areas, however, google sometimes gets it better as well. For example, in the first line, google says gooseberries, and deepl says "goose oaks" (but offers a list of alternate that range from "barn" to "greens"). Google offers the alternative "goosey-ganders", a phrase I have never heard before.

google offers title of Archibald's book as "Mankind is a farce" whereas deepl offers a better feeling "The Human Race is a Farce" and even recognizes it as a title and thus uses the proper English capitalization scheme not used in the Dutch in this case.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:27 am though I did find this on a torrent somewhere:
Mariken_2000_StRAK.avi
Thanks for that, I'll try that too! I THOUGHT I had checked for torrents, but maybe not ... or if I found it then it was not active and I gave up. Glad you got it! The fact that it also includes a Russian dub gives me hope, because the Russians are good at sourcing quality video.
On audio, did you mean Dutch language for the version here?
DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! This is now a permanent mental block, my getting Dutch and Danish confused! What is wrong with me??? I will go back and edit my post to make it right!

It is reassuring to hear that Google is still good for translations, although I am sure it depends upon the language. I did a Google translation of a Hungarian novel once, and it was catastrophically unreadable! I had to wait for a professional to do the job and publish it.
I've never done this for an epub before and I'm looking at trying to make it do more than 5000 letters at a time.
We USED to be able to upload an entire .doc file for translation at DeepL, but it looks like that is now only available at the Pro paid version. Damn!

I have heard of "goosey-gander" in a nursery rhyme, but I have no idea what it means. Other than something about female and male gooses, I guess.
Google offers title of Archibald's book as "Mankind is a farce" whereas deepl offers a better feeling "The Human Race is a Farce"
English up through the 20th century vs. post-feminist English! :D
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:27 amI did find this on a torrent somewhere:
Mariken_2000_StRAK.avi

It appears to be marginally better quality. Some of the larger filesize may be attributed to the additional Russian voiceover (on by default), but perhaps not all 500 megs. The audio sounds better to me, too.
YES, this seems to be better. The German version I linked has brighter colors, but this has higher video bitrate and (I think) resolution. The colors are duller and harsher. I am not sure what is "correct" for the movie. They also have slightly different aspect ratios. (Again, not sure which is "correct.") The audio has a higher bitrate than both the German and other DUTCH version. I think this is the version I will watch first ... unless someone comes up with something else. (And then I'll watch the German version if I like the movie enough.) Thanks!

pillowbaker's new Dutch version:

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:28 amDAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! ...
It is reassuring to hear that Google is still good for translations, although I am sure it depends upon the language. I did a Google translation of a Hungarian novel once, and it was catastrophically unreadable! I had to wait for a professional to do the job and publish it.
:P No worries!
It is strange seeing what comes out of google translate when it has to deal with those darn, non-Indo European languages! I have to give you credit on attempting a translation of a Hungarian novel though! :shock: I think it's been referred to as the "apple monkey carburetor" effect! I recall doing the same for a large block of text, don't remember the source language, and getting results to the effect of "It was not too longtime sausage."

Night457 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:37 amYES, this seems to be better. The German version I linked has brighter colors, but this has higher video bitrate and (I think) resolution. The colors are duller and harsher. I am not sure what is "correct" for the movie. They also have slightly different aspect ratios. (Again, not sure which is "correct.") The audio has a higher bitrate than both the German and other DUTCH version. I think this is the version I will watch first ... unless someone comes up with something else. (And then I'll watch the German version if I like the movie enough.) Thanks!

pillowbaker's new Dutch version:
Thanks for cross-referencing the videos! You may be right about the overall quality, but something about the colors on the German version you found I actually really like. I know the movie's medieval setting may call for duller hues and grubbier environment, but I can't help but like the warmer and prettier colors. I'm downloading the German version now and if I like the resolution and quality enough, I'll see if the audio will fit with the file.

We USED to be able to upload an entire .doc file for translation at DeepL, but it looks like that is now only available at the Pro paid version. Damn!
Looks like google may have the 5k character limit as well. There may be workarounds with both methods. DeepL seems to allow you to translate documents (.pdf, .doc, maybe more). It seems to be pretty easy to convert epubs to other several formats. I should be able to convert it to a compatible format and drop it into the site and see what happens. Either way, I'll try to have all of chapter 1 done soon.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:40 amI have to give you credit on attempting a translation of a Hungarian novel though! :shock:
It was desperation! At the time I had no subtitles for the movie that the book was adapted into, so there were very limited resources for expanding my understanding of the storyline.

I can not remember if at the time I was using a character-limited site or if it allowed me a full document upload.
something about the colors on the German version you found I actually really like. I know the movie's medieval setting may call for duller hues and grubbier environment, but I can't help but like the warmer and prettier colors.
I had the exact same thoughts about the German version. This IS a children's film, isn't it? Medieval stories are usually made much prettier than the likely reality. The image is maybe a little softer on the more colorful German version version. I just like original audio so much that I was glad to get improved video for that version. I did not bother checking exact audio sync between these two versions.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   31 likes

I've read all your brilliant contributions guys and I didn't chip in.. I'm so sorry!

Yes the translation is so difficult because it contains Nether-dutch, Limburgish, Antwerp-dutch, and brabantish, which are all dutch / english forms but very hard to translate.

I will try to make subs for this 4 series (yes I have found the 4 series) AS WE SPEAK..

I give this to you without explanation. I will tell you I have authored all 4 episodes.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [447.38 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [461.24 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [442.75 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [364.60 Mb]

Don't go quietly into the night.