[REL] Mariken (2000)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Mariken (2000)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

popdrome wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:07 pm Halfway through, they found out there wasn't just enough money to make the miniseries, so they decided to make a movie.
popdrome wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:35 am I will try to make subs for this 4 series (yes I have found the 4 series) AS WE SPEAK..
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Over 2 decades later they dug up the cash to make the series??????????????????????
I give this to you without explanation.
Well that is just not FAIR, and very confusing!

But I am quite pleased nonetheless. This is a real treat! Thank you so very much!

That is amazing enough, but if you top it off with subtitles that will be SUPER-amazing!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I didn't know that there was also a TV series. :shock:

Many many thanks for this upgrade, popdrome! :P

Yes, subtitles would be amazing!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

OMG popdrome, these 720p videos look fantastic! Everyone should ditch their old copies and get these ones now. There is no need to pixel-squint anymore to figure out what version looks best. These are beautiful.

Thanks again!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

WHOA what happened!! I was gone for a few days (I really was ;) ) and I get to come back to treasures like this?! What an amazing surprise! :mrgreen: The video quality looks great so far.

So, it's the strangest thing! I do recall what you said about there being only a movie produced, but I came across this DVD release called the Jeugd Mini Series which claims to contain the original episodes and a running time of 108 minutes (movie originally having 90 minutes). Here's a link. And then, I could have sworn at I had subtitles for this. I looked all over my download history. Of course, I had none and non existed. Well, thanks for the special project, popdrome!

Quite excited for this release.

[Image]
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 pm
I give this to you without explanation.
Well that is just not FAIR, and very confusing!
Sorry Night I didn't mean to sound so aloof. It's just a very loong and boring story I was too lazy haha
glad you liked guys. :cool

Don't go quietly into the night.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I thought maybe you did something terribly illegal you did not want to admit!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

But if you did, popdrome, I'd totally help you with the cover-up! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Never learned the names of those Dutch dialects before. It's interesting to see what you're getting into, and I am curious about Nether-Dutch.

As for the Mariken children's novel, I was having fun reading and comparing the machine translations. So much fun, I was worried that I'd end up spoiling the movie. I got to the second chapter before halting and I'll save the rest of the book for after the movie the series!

Here's most of the progress, I'll post a little more soon. I've edited and cherry picked the best parts between three machine translations! The third comes from the DeepL option that allows you to upload a pdf file. It churned out a slightly different translation from the basic paste-n-go. Uhhg!
Now I have to check all three! They all did very well, though. I combed through every sentence. Check it out.

Chapter 1
Spoiler:

Chapter 1
In which Archibald is chased from the city and finds a little girl among the flowering gooseberries.

[Image]

Long ago, when people did not wash often, there lived in a walled city an old eccentric. His name was Archibald. He did not like his neighbors. He thought they were stupid or bad and were annoyed by their noise. Together with his goat he lived in a little house made of wood that he had built himself.

Not far from the church Archibald had set up a stall. There he sold jars of ointment, bottles of herbal drinks and pills for pain.

One fine Sunday in May, Archibald sat behind his stall reading The Human Race is a Farce. The colossal book lay open on his lap. It was bound in dull glossy parchment and bursting with records and stories of the lives of people on earth.

A man looked at the jars and bottles.

'The Devil celebrates in my right leg,' he said. (translation note: i understand what is being said here, but I don't like the way it is sounds. between google and deepL, the various options for translation offer similar results and this feels the best, but still does have a good ring in English. any suggestions appreciated).

As he continued to read quietly, Archibald pointed to a bottle of herbal potion.

'Don't forget to put down a few dimes,' he said.

'Does it help?" the man wanted to know.

'It won't hurt,' Archibald said.

'You look strong and healthy,' the man said. 'What is your secret?'

'Every day I wash my feet in a brook,' said Archibald. 'Every day I eat a plate of goat's milk porridge. And every day I read in this beautiful book. Nothing can happen to me.'

The man put down a few dimes. After uncorking and drinking the bottle, he trudged away with a dragging foot.

Archibald remained engrossed in his book. He didn't notice any commotion in the marketplace.

Magister Aesculaap was striding toward the stall. His fat belly was sticking out jauntily. The bailiff and his two henchmen followed him. A giant sword hung from their belts. The people in the marketplace hurriedly dived aside.

Magister Aesculaap stopped at the stall and bent down to a bottle of herbal potion. Squinting, he looked at the frolicking duckweed.

'This looks like ditch water,' he said.

'It is,' Archibald said without looking up from his book.

Magister Aesculaap bent down to a jar of ointment, lifted the lid, smelled the contents, and coughed grimly.

'Your ointment smells like rancid fat,' he said.

'It's rancid fat, too,' Archibald said.

'And your pills, man, look like rat droppings.'

Archibald licked his index finger wet and turned a page.

'You are guessing, aren't you?" he said.

'I am Magister Aesculaap,' said Magister Aesculaap. 'The Countess and I have decided that you will be driven out of the city.'

Archibald now looked up from his book. He saw that Magister Aesculaap's pipe and broad-brimmed hat were earth black.

'Have you spoken to the Countess recently?" he asked kindly.

'I am her counselor and personal physician,' said Magister Aesculaap. 'I speak to her every day. The Countess loves true medicine. She wants nothing to do with quackery.

'Counsellor and personal physician,' said Archibald, 'that's not bad.'

He laughed and read on.

'How dare you laugh at me,' cried Magister Aesculaap.

'I wasn't laughing at you, Magister Know-It-All,' said Archibald, 'I was laughing at what I have just read in The Human Race is a Farce. Listen, I'll let you hear it.'

Archibald held up his index finger to the lines.

'Beware of pill pushers in black,' he read aloud. 'They give people all sorts of new ailments and want to be rewarded for it. Their heads are as pale and bulbous as a plucked chicken. They sweat all day. They have grown such powerful bellies from eating and drinking so much that they can no longer see their own feet. They give themselves showy Latin names. They know as much about medicine as a monkey knows about the alphabet.'

The church bells began to chime.

Magister Aesculaap shouted, 'Smash the quack's stall to pieces.'

The bailiff and his henchmen drew their swords and smashed Archibald's stall to pieces. The jars and bottles shattered into shards, the pills flew around.

Men and women walked past the broken jars and bottles on their way to the church service. They raised their fists and shouted, "Stab him to death, that old fool.'

Archibald slammed the book shut.

'Don't worry,' he said, 'I'm going already. Can I take my goat with me? And this book? My clothes, pots, pans and my mattress full of fleas?'

The bailiff and his henchmen put their swords in their scabbards.

'Take your rubbish with you,' said Magister Aesculaap, 'and never show yourself again.'

In his little house, Archibald leisurely ate a plate of goat's milk porridge.

He burped vigorously and took a nap.

His goat licked him awake.

'Sofie, we are going on a journey,' Archibald said after a long yawn. 'Together nothing can happen to us. Every day I will have my plate of goat's milk porridge and you will have your fresh leaves.'

Sofie stuck her head out the window and nibbled on a bush.

Archibald loaded his cart full of supplies, pulled a worn leather hat over his ears and picked up his walking stick.

Dead calm, he walked through the deserted streets of the city. His beard fluttered in the wind.

Sofie dragged the cart. Every now and then she bleated.

The wheels creaked and squeaked, the pots and pans rattled.

They crossed the square. From the church, the pious singing of young children sounded.

'Yes, Sofie,' said Archibald, 'even after chasing away a poor bugger, people like to listen to heavenly voices.'

Archibald and his goat trekked through deep valleys and over high hills. After a two-day trek, Archibald decided to follow a stream.

They came to a large forest.

'The Forest of Delusion,' said Archibald, 'I have heard of it. People are terrified of it. They think evil spirits dwell there. What now?

Sofie bleated.

Archibald untied Sofie from the cart.

'I happen to know,' he said, 'that evil spirits hide from old men and goats. Cheer up, Sofie. In this forest we will live. No one will disturb me here while I read in The Human Race is a Farce.'

Sofie stepped to the stream, stretched her neck and quenched her thirst.

Suddenly she raised her head in surprise. She pricked up her ears.

'Do you hear something I don't?' asked Archibald.

Sofie lifted her nose, showing her thick teeth.

Archibald pressed his right ear forward with his index finger and listened. A plaintive cry came to him.

'A human,' Archibald said.

With her wiggly butt, Sofie preceded him.

The crying grew louder.

Sofie and Archibald stopped at a spot full of flowering gooseberries.

Among the gooseberries lay a small child. It wore a white cap and a white jacket with bloodstains on it. Sofie leaned over to the child and nibbled on the gooseberries.

"What are you doing here?" Archibald asked the child.

Hearing Archibald's crackly voice, the child stopped crying.

'An infant, Sofie,' said Archibald, 'do you see the father or the mother anywhere?'

Sofie tilted her head. From her mouth gooseberries stuck out.

Carefully Archibald lifted the child.

'Did someone lose you?' he asked. 'Or left you here? Why are there bloodstains on your jacket? Tell me.'

Archibald saw that the bloodstains were letters.

Care for Mariken, he read.

'You are a girl,' Archibald said to Mariken.

Mariken looked at Archibald. Her eyes were dark and large.

'Your mother asks me to take care of you,' Archibald said.

He pressed his little finger against her lips.

Mariken tried to suck on the little finger.

'That won't help you,' Archibald said.

He put Mariken back between the gooseberries.

Sofie sniffed Mariken's nose. She sank her teeth into the jacket.

'Leave that alone, Sofie,' Archibald said, 'don't act like a goat.'

Sofie let go of the jacket.

Archibald grabbed a pot from his cart, crouched down by Sofie and milked her firmly and lovingly.

Mariken shrieked heartily. Her little legs kicked, her little fists clenched.

Archibald pulled the leather cap off his head. After some searching, he found an awl among his belongings. He pried a hole in the leather and poured the warm milk into the hollow of the cap.

Drops of milk leaked onto Mariken's lips.

The drops were blown away.

Archibald made the hole a little larger. Now he could squirt the milk into her mouth in a thin stream. Mariken smacked and drank the milk. A few times, she grunted with pleasure.

Archibald thought.

'Tell me honestly, Mariken,' he said after a while, 'would you want an old man and a goat for a father and a mother?

Mariken hiccupped.

Archibald and Sofie looked at each other.

'What now?' said Archibald.
Beginning of Chapter 2
Spoiler:

Chapter 2
In which a traveler, trembling with fear, speaks to a forest spirit and tells Archibald something for the hundredth time

[Image]

The years passed and no one ever heard from Archibald and his goat again.

One fine morning in May, a traveler set out for his mother's village. He was wearing a brand new hat.

A few days of brisk walking, he thought, and I can knock on her door. When mother sees my hat, she'll guess in a blink that I've accomplished something in the world.

A soft gray mist hovered above the earth.

The traveler walked along a sandy country road and whistled with delight.

He did not see the tall trees of the Forest of Delusion until he could already almost touch them.

The traveler stopped.

I can do two things, he thought. I can walk around the forest. A two-day journey. I can walk right through the forest. A journey of one day. I'll do the latter. Mother will see the wet leaves on my boots and know at once that I have trekked through the Forest of Delusion. Glimmering with pride, she will.

The traveler walked on the soft ground of moss and grass and crumbly earth.

Because the trees were full of leaves, it was quite dark in the forest.

He pursed his lips and tried to whistle. He could not.

After a few hours of walking, he thought: I hear whispering. Are they squirrels or evil spirits? I can't go back. I'm way too deep in the forest already.

Far above his head came a shrill cry.

The traveler fell to his knees.

He folded his hands and prayed, 'Holy Mary, mother of Our Lord, protect me. Do not punish me for my recklessness. In our church I will light thirty candles for you. They cost a dime each, did you know?'

The traveler lurked around anxiously.

It was as if hoarse murmurs sounded behind the trees.

After a while he stood up.

'Nonsense,' he said, 'it was the cry of a bird of prey, nothing more.'

'Who are you?" he heard a bright voice call out.

There you have it, thought the traveler. [note about translation: orig Daar zul je het hebben, dacht de reiziger. I am unsure about the translation given here, as both google and deepL gave similar results, yet to me they don't really make sense considering the situation. Perhaps the phrase is idiomatic and he's thinking "that's it, I've had enough!" Suggestions are welcome)

Behind him the leaves rustled restlessly, something plopped to the ground.

'Spare me,' he cried.

'What a lovely hat you have,' said the fierce little voice.

'Please,' he said, 'may I keep my hat? It cost two ducats.'

'Turn around,' said the fierce voice.

Slowly the traveler turned around.

A small forest spirit sat like a frog on the ground. He had a head full of blond spiky hair and legs with nice brown fur. His nose was mud-black. His little eyes glowed with pleasure.

(note: I may have to stop for the time being until I watch the series. If anyone's interested, I'm happy to post the complete, unedited document in English.)
Last edited by pillowbaker on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 am Check it out.(..)
Check it out!!
You're a star, pillowbaker. Thanks for the support, and thanks for the translation options, really I'm very impressed by this translation. Not sure if that was the DeepL but it looks exceptionally. I've found out that making subs is not at all that easy from dutch to english, as opposed to english to dutch which (trust me) is a lot easier. I'm of course not a pro translator however I've done it before.

The biggest challenge in this project is actually, trying to understand what is said on screen! Some characters in this series don't just speak dutch, but like I explained, either an older version of it, or a dialect. (Unlike the very extensive variations and long-life of English), Some of these languages are long dead! I'm a linguist however so I should try be proud and work harder to get the results we need. Thank gosh we have the internet and lots can be found online after some effort.

Thanks for encouraging !

pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

popdrome wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:58 pmThanks for encouraging !
Well, I am more than grateful that my ramblings and curiosity can be supportive to someone. To tell the truth, your recent uploads and project are what's inspiring the enthusiasm! Please don't feel obligated now, though! I can understand even just coming up with timings can be exhausting and time-consuming. If the work proves to be too much, I am happy to watch without subs and then use the book as a backup.

I'm a linguist however
:heart I am jealous! Linguistics is actually what I wanted to study most, years ago. Ended up going a different path, but later in life I did take all linguistic courses available to me in my locality, along with all the German, French and Korean that was offered. I am envious of you right now, if you're looking at older and extinct varieties of languages. Even if they're difficult for you, I imagine your understanding is vastly better than my own!

Looking at the translation I posted, I still see parts I glossed over. For example Magister Weetikveel should be something like "Magister Know-it-all" -- my best guess, based on the machine translations. I have the rest of the chapter about ready, but I should look it over for more passages like this.

I like adding to my collection old books in English that preserve the original language they were written in. Most often they are ONLY available, with some notable exceptions, modified into modern language, for our supposed convenience, no doubt! I recently acquired a 15th century cookbook written in Middle English and a copy of Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur preserving Caxton's 15th century manuscript. Of course, they're modern printings! Some of the passages are hilarious and a delight to read!

edit: added the rest of chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 to the post above.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:52 pm (...)Please don't feel obligated now, though! I can understand even just coming up with timings can be exhausting and time-consuming. If the work proves to be too much, I am happy to watch without subs and then use the book as a backup.
Thank you! Well it's not going fast but we'll get there in the end. :)
:heart I am jealous! Linguistics is actually what I wanted to study most, years ago. Ended up going a different path, but later in life I did take all linguistic courses available to me in my locality, along with all the German, French and Korean that was offered. I am envious of you right now, if you're looking at older and extinct varieties of languages. Even if they're difficult for you, I imagine your understanding is vastly better than my own!
No please don't be jealous! In all honesty, I didn't like it! I studied linguistics and musicology and in the end the only thing I'm happy about (apart from the music) is having a decent vocabulary of Greek, Latin and Germanic, because these are the keys to modern languages. Trust me, I could have easily done without the boring literature and the many annoying lectures I sat through believe you me.
edit: added the rest of chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 to the post above.
Thank you!