[REL] Du Sel Sur La Peau (1984)

relic

Re: [REL] Du Sel Sur La Peau (1984)

Post by relic »   0 likes

When you first mentioned this package I got the free version to try. I attempted to install it on a win 7 pro system that is never connected to the web. All I can remember now is that It ended looking for internet explorer, presumably for an update. Since then I found that it might require win 10 which I might try soon.
I would like to know if it will run without a web connection because these computers are rarely on line. Also I would like to know if win 10 is really required.
Ghost, if you can answer either question I would appreciate it.
Thanks. Relic
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I would like to know if it will run without a web connection because these computers are rarely on line. Also I would like to know if win 10 is really required.
I don't know, if an internet connection is required, I never tried it without.
Yes, it only runs on WIndows 10 since a few versions.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   1 likes

ghost wrote:
In my HEVC setup
What do you mean with that? You were talking about a certain software?
I;m not sure about Topaz (I love their products, I use plugins all the time in Photoshop) - but their video software might not be compatible with Mac hardware.

I'm sorry if I've confused you, ghost, but I'm on Apple software and hardware. I have 2 computers, a slower one with a smaller screen, that I use for just mere downloading and ripping/ converting to mp4 (does both 1080p and 720p). I also have a newer, 27 inch Mac - I call it my 'HEVC setup' - because I can use it to convert large 3 gig movies to 1 gig x265 encodes, without (this is important) losing picture quality,

Here's what happens: a smaller 1.3G video file (same quality) can more easily be shared over e-mule, AND the x265 encoded file (what I call HEVC) can be viewed on any INTEL equipped computer and most others too, without any quality loss.

The only problem is, encoding into x265 (HEVC) is a lot slower. So I HAVE to use my newer computer to do it, the graphic card is better, and I have an easier job checking out the result.

After having seen the results with newer movies, I'm sticking to HEVC for my rips. Especially because the file size is so much smaller, while retaining great quality.

Hope this has cleared up yr confusion, sir!
Thanks for the outstanding work you do for this forum - let me know if I can be of any help, anyway!

Don't go quietly into the night.
ghost
Site Admin

Thanks, popdrome. No more questions left. :D

No, Topaz Video Enhance AI also runs on a MAC. Just visit their website.

I never use the H.265 codec. I don't know, why... Maybe because it's still not compatible to all players and systems.
But maybe, I should... :?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Maybe because it's still not compatible to all players and systems.
I think if your player isn't compatible with everything, it's time to use a different player. I'm partial to VLC but YMMV.
ghost
Site Admin

I think if your player isn't compatible with everything, it's time to use a different player.
My player does support it (i prefer Media Player Classic), also my TV does.. I wanted to say, that not everyone else maybe would be able to play it....

I konow, it's silly, but I always stucked to H.264 ...
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I'm using MPC-BE with MadVR.

The h265/ x265 / HEVC codec needs a fair amount of processing power, which some of the older PCs cannot handle. Otherwise, it is very efficient and gives smaller file sizes for the same quality, or better quality at the same file size.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Thanks, popdrome. No more questions left. :D

No, Topaz Video Enhance AI also runs on a MAC. Just visit their website.

I never use the H.265 codec. I don't know, why... Maybe because it's still not compatible to all players and systems.
But maybe, I should... :?
I like to play films on my TV through the "Western Digital HD Media Player". It's an old device but can play 1080p (up to level 4.1), can pass through 5.1 DTS / DD. But yeah, wouldn't be able to handle H265. My older PC (slowly moving to a new one) can't handle it either! So yeah. Happy you and others a're sticking with h264 :)
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

popdrome wrote:
ghost wrote:
In my HEVC setup
What do you mean with that? You were talking about a certain software?
I;m not sure about Topaz (I love their products, I use plugins all the time in Photoshop) - but their video software might not be compatible with Mac hardware.

I'm sorry if I've confused you, ghost, but I'm on Apple software and hardware. I have 2 computers, a slower one with a smaller screen, that I use for just mere downloading and ripping/ converting to mp4 (does both 1080p and 720p). I also have a newer, 27 inch Mac - I call it my 'HEVC setup' - because I can use it to convert large 3 gig movies to 1 gig x265 encodes, without (this is important) losing picture quality,

Here's what happens: a smaller 1.3G video file (same quality) can more easily be shared over e-mule, AND the x265 encoded file (what I call HEVC) can be viewed on any INTEL equipped computer and most others too, without any quality loss.

The only problem is, encoding into x265 (HEVC) is a lot slower. So I HAVE to use my newer computer to do it, the graphic card is better, and I have an easier job checking out the result.

After having seen the results with newer movies, I'm sticking to HEVC for my rips. Especially because the file size is so much smaller, while retaining great quality.

Hope this has cleared up yr confusion, sir!
Thanks for the outstanding work you do for this forum - let me know if I can be of any help, anyway!
Topaz when working with video is slowwwwww. I don't know Mac's, but for a PC you need Win10 and a newish Nvidia card (one with CUDA cores). I bought a new PC with a 1660 card that has 6gb memory. $450 equivalent for the card! To proces a 1h30m film to 720p / 1080p takes a good 10-15 hours. Your CPU / RAM is almost irrelevant. It's just the graphics card working - although strangely it doesn't run the fans at 100% - they're barely humming. Due to mining, games and AI. Nvidia cards can cost over $2000 now (the companies market cap is now $500bn) so they're doing well off it! Think the newest cards have 8x the CUDA's of my card - so maybe you'd get 8x faster encodes - but you'd proably cook your PC! I guess a $4000 Mac would also work pretty fast. But overnight and then some is fine for the occasional movie processing.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Reading through this whole thread and seeing the history of everyone trying to get this movie shared and then upgraded and then upscaled was just a pleasure! Congratz to everyone involved for such an achievement. Sir ghost, many thanks for your hard work on the subtitles and the time spent on computer processing. I tried to read this carefully and avoid reading too much about specific events and scenes. I love going into a recommended movie knowing as little as possible.

Until a couple days ago, I had never heard of this film. I discovered it using the imdb "more like this" suggestions and, from a long string of films, possibly starting with Colpi di fulmine to Théo et Marie to La petite Chartreuse, Nonnebørn, who knows what else. I ardently await the time to watch this!