[REL] Du Sel Sur La Peau (1984)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Du Sel Sur La Peau (1984)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

My subs didn't kick in until about 5 mins into the film, when Charlotte and Juliette first appear.. They were continuous after that, without much of a problem other than weird grammar, common with translators not completely familiar with both languages.)
I ripped the french hardsubs from the VHS/TV-Rip and translated them. They start only after 5 1/2 minutes, because the beginning is missing in the old video file.
Yes, I am sure there are still some gramar errors. If someone should have some free time... ;)
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

This really does look great, Ghost. More like 720p than DVD resolution. You worked wonders with it - thank you! :thumbsup

And thanks for working on the subtitles. I know how tedious that can be.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

This is what great upscaling looks like. Which software did you use if you don't mind me asking?
ghost
Site Admin

reptile12 wrote:This is what great upscaling looks like. Which software did you use if you don't mind me asking?
I used Topaz Video Enhance AI. It's getting better and better.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:
reptile12 wrote:This is what great upscaling looks like. Which software did you use if you don't mind me asking?
I used Topaz Video Enhance AI. It's getting better and better.
Thanks, nice work. It's impressive how good the hair looks, for example. If I weren't told it was an upscale I probably wouldn't notice.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Great work ghost and let me reiterate a few things here;

In my HEVC setup I can use upscaling and keep the file size compact, sounds great right? It will take me 72 hours (no joke) in which I can't use the computer for anything else.
I HAVE tried it for a long favorite movie (and I will post the result as soon as I get my 'internet' figured out *) - but how do you do it?
unless you have an array of computers / graphic cards, [which reminds me: do you do data mining, are you invested in bitcoin too?? ] <- no need to go into that. :lol:

Anyway.

Could you PLEESE consider my TOP 2 Movies upscaling?? I have not a top 3, as a courtesey to you I have only 2:

!. Kid Svensk (yeh, really FHD!)
2. Les Diables (1080p! omg my dream come true)

IMHO these two gems have been overlooked by the studios or we would've had 4k by now.

(not for you ghost but lemme utter some links here)
https://lostmoviesarchive.com/movie/726 (it has my personal review, too)
https://lostmoviesarchive.com/movie/166

Thanks in advance,

your bestest,

popdrome

Don't go quietly into the night.
ghost
Site Admin

In my HEVC setup
What do you mean with that? You were talking about a certain software? I just don't get it... Normal upscaling or something else?

Yes... Kid Svensk and Les Diables are definitely two candidates who would deserve it ;) ...and thanks for bringing these two back to my mind!
First, I would need the original DVDs. I hope I can find a DVD5 or something...

So, stay tuned...
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Yes... Kid Svensk and Les Diables are definitely two candidates who would deserve it ;) ...and thanks for bringing these two back to my mind!
First, I would need the original DVDs. I hope I can find a DVD5 or something...

So, stay tuned...
Surely an ISO file of the original DVDs would work as well as the actual plastic disc, yes?

deadman has shared PAL.DVD.iso files for BOTH movies. I downloaded the Kid Svensk one myself, and did not need the other because I already have 2 dvds for Les Diables

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 6&start=50

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 8&start=10

(Thank you, deadman!)

I am not one to push someone into a big work project, but I have to agree with popdrome that these are excellent choices.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Surely an ISO file of the original DVDs would work as well as the actual plastic disc, yes?

deadman has shared PAL.DVD.iso files for BOTH movies. I downloaded the Kid Svensk one myself, and did not need the other because I already have 2 dvds for Les Diables

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 6&start=50

https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... 8&start=10

(Thank you, deadman!)

I am not one to push someone into a big work project, but I have to agree with popdrome that these are excellent choices.
I also have two versions of Les Diables. The one with the full BTS documentary has better picture quality than the one without it, even though the .vob files on the second one are actually larger in size. Go figure. Which is another reason I posted that version (on top of its special features).

This is another movie I look for periodically on bluray. No great hope that I'll see it, although you never know. It wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised to see something on bluray. But Adèle Haenel accused director Christophe Ruggia of sexual harassment on the set of the movie, when she was 12 - creating quite a firestorm in France that's like the #MeToo movement. So I'm guessing Les Diables is poison right now. We won't see it re-released anytime soon.

What are the specs on your machine, Ghost? I assume newer units with more processing power could finish jobs faster. I'll be replacing my current equipment sometime in the next few months, so ... if I can do in an hour what takes your machine so long, maybe I'll get that Topaz software (how much is it by the way?) and try upgrading some movies.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks, deadman ;)

I didn't remember your posts of these two movies :o

I'll start wit Kid Svensk... Let's see (and wait...) what the result will be.
What are the specs on your machine, Ghost?
Unfortunatly, I only own 2 notebooks. Therefore encoding with Topaz is pretty slow for me, but at least the newer versions support my INTEL graphics processor. Atm I can do 1 frame in about 2 seconds. I am encoding image sequences and use both notebooks. That means that I can do the whole movie in half the time.
how much is it by the way?
The software costs $299, but currently they offer it for $199. (But, as always, there are other methods to get it ;) )

https://topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/