[REL] Amour Fou (1993)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Amour Fou (1993)

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Here's an rutracker link to the movie, VHSrip, Russian VO only:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611581

Not sure what it'll look like. Wish we could find original audio for this one.

EDIT!!

Whoa whoa what is this?

https://ulozto.net/file/zyB8NJSSfBdg/am ... qwertz-mkv

"amour-fou-1993-french-540p-tvrip-vhs-flac-2-0-h264-qwertz-mkv"

Downloading now, preview is in French language with no VO.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   39 likes

Whoa whoa what is this?

Unfortunately this one is also VHS-quality. :(

I have it in German language, if anyone is interested (same bad quality):
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.49 Gb]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

ghost wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:49 pm I have it in German language, if anyone is interested (same bad quality):
Actually, it is a different bad quality. I had found your file yesterday with an emule search and was initially hopeful when I saw that I was getting it from you. Your German language version has slightly better video quality because the ulozto file has rolling bands of distortion across the image. I don't remember what it is called but I vaguely recall it from videotape and SD broadcast days ...

Anyway, I would love to find an improvement over both of them. Thank you to everyone for sharing what they have! In the meantime I will try the other emule versions to check their video quality and see if the runtime allows me to easily mux in the French audio.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:05 pm
ghost wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:49 pm I have it in German language, if anyone is interested (same bad quality):
Actually, it is a different bad quality. I had found your file yesterday with an emule search and was initially hopeful when I saw that I was getting it from you. Your German language version has slightly better video quality because the ulozto file has rolling bands of distortion across the image. I don't remember what it is called but I vaguely recall it from videotape and SD broadcast days ...

Anyway, I would love to find an improvement over both of them. Thank you to everyone for sharing what they have! In the meantime I will try the other emule versions to check their video quality and see if the runtime allows me to easily mux in the French audio.
Yeah, those rolling lines are horrible. So slow you think you could maybe fix it with a positive/negative contrast mask - but yeah really would make it annoying to watch. Might be macrovision? It's a shame as the picture is really sharp and clear - well, has a nasty over-sharpen contrast border to a lot :(
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

David32441 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:26 pmYeah, those rolling lines are horrible. So slow you think you could maybe fix it with a positive/negative contrast mask - but yeah really would make it annoying to watch. Might be macrovision? It's a shame as the picture is really sharp and clear - well, has a nasty over-sharpen contrast border to a lot :(

One version of this seems to be a VHS Rip. The other (with the rolling scan lines) appears to be an OTA broadcast rip with less than perfect reception. I remember those fucking rabbit ears and trying to get stations that weren't really close by. Sometimes you had to choose between that kind of interference or a snowy picture, depending on which setting you had the stupid knob on. The broadcast version also looks to have been AI enhanced. I'm guessing they managed to reduce those lines with the processing but couldn't get rid of them entirely.

I too would love a better version, but there was never a DVD release and it's obscure enough that I'd be surprised if it came out on bluray. A streaming download - now that seems like a possibility at some point.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Yeah, what you two said! I could not retrieve the technical terminology from my brain. I try not to remember my history of reception problems, as it caused me lasting psychological scars from my childhood.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Ahhh Night, sad to hear those weren't grand old times! Messing around with the rabbit ears, tweaking the connection just enough until you had a barely satisfactory image (no cable! and sometimes nothing you did worked), wearing holes into the knees of your pants from crawling over quickly to change the channels on the knob (until we got remotes!) Watching VHS recordings of with this image quality used to be one of my favorite ways to watch movies.

Anyways, I look forward to what you come up with from your search for Amour Fou! I hope you're able to discover something different!

There are a couple other uloz links:
https://ulozto.net/file/BmbflxwV5ymD/am ... vhs-ru-avi - 1.8gb
https://ulozto.net/file/UA14LAm1UqwC/am ... efault-mp4 - 463mb

Both are likely Russian VO, but if it's image quality we're looking for, it's something.

From rutracker:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2611581 - Russian VO for certain. 1.64gb, VHSrip.

And solidtorrents:
https://solidtorrents.eu/torrents/amour ... 19e408c823 - 1.57gb, I managed to download this last night and can't wait to see what it looks like.

Edit:
The 1.57 file from solidtorrents is another VHSrip quality with Russian VO, and is similar quality to the 1.64gb file from rutracker. Same VO, though oddly, the rutracker file is 43 seconds longer. I cannot tell any difference in quality.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I had the rutracker one but deleted it because it is terrible video quality. I did not even check to see if it matched the runtime of the one with French audio. The first ulozto link (Amour fou (1993) tvvhs-ru.avi) looks like the same file. The second ulozto link looks like lower resolution from the same source, so maybe that is from before someone decided to do an ill-considered upres.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:27 pm
David32441 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:26 pmYeah, those rolling lines are horrible. So slow you think you could maybe fix it with a positive/negative contrast mask - but yeah really would make it annoying to watch. Might be macrovision? It's a shame as the picture is really sharp and clear - well, has a nasty over-sharpen contrast border to a lot :(

One version of this seems to be a VHS Rip. The other (with the rolling scan lines) appears to be an OTA broadcast rip with less than perfect reception. I remember those fucking rabbit ears and trying to get stations that weren't really close by. Sometimes you had to choose between that kind of interference or a snowy picture, depending on which setting you had the stupid knob on. The broadcast version also looks to have been AI enhanced. I'm guessing they managed to reduce those lines with the processing but couldn't get rid of them entirely.

I too would love a better version, but there was never a DVD release and it's obscure enough that I'd be surprised if it came out on bluray. A streaming download - now that seems like a possibility at some point.
Yeah, will hope it gets a streaming release one day, that'd be good!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:49 pm
Whoa whoa what is this?

Unfortunately this one is also VHS-quality. :(

I have it in German language, if anyone is interested (same bad quality):
Eine verrueckte Liebe - Amour fou (1993).mkv
Ever tried a remastering of that one or is the source too terrible already?