[REL] The River Rat (1984)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] The River Rat (1984)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

which version is that high quality 4:3 one? Yeah, looks better to have that one.
The 4:3 caps are from a VHS-Rip. Pretty bad quality of course :(
deadman

Post by deadman »   2 likes

David32441 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:25 pmwhich version is that high quality 4:3 one? Yeah, looks better to have that one.

The picture quality isn't nearly as good as the full 1080p web-dl, but the 4:3 version I capped from is actually not the one previously referenced (which comes from VHS). I recorded it myself 20 years ago from a premium movie channel in the US. I had DirecTV at the time, and a Panasonic set top DVD recorder. Anyone remember those? They were hot items for a couple of years. Until the growing availability of HDTV, hard drive recorders, and the advent of bluray made them obsolete.

If anyone really wants my old version (it's about 3 GB) I'll put the .vob file in my shared folder. It's better than any other 4:3 I've seen of this movie but it is still a 720x480 SAT Rip, with the limitations that implies.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:25 pm The picture quality isn't nearly as good as the full 1080p web-dl, but the 4:3 version I posted is actually not the one previously referenced (which comes from VHS). I recorded it myself 20 years ago from a premium movie channel in the US. I had DirecTV at the time, and a Panasonic set top DVD recorder. Anyone remember those? They were hot items for a couple of years. Until the growing availability of HDTV, hard drive recorders, and the advent of bluray made them obsolete.

If anyone really wants my old version (it's about 3 GB) I'll put the .vob file in my shared folder. It's better than any other 4:3 I've seen of this movie but it is still a 720x480 SAT Rip, with the limitations that implies.
So the old version you recorded isn't the one you made screenshots from on page 3? If not, I'd be interested in at least seeing screenshots or downloading the 3gb file. :D

As for the available versions so far, I do tend to prefer the uncropped video myself, but the variance in quality from deadman's HD webrip is substantial enough I think I'd like to have both versions this time. :P
deadman

Post by deadman »   27 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 pmSo the old version you recorded isn't the one you made screenshots from on page 3? If not, I'd be interested in at least seeing screenshots or downloading the 3gb file. :D

The caps on the left are from the version I recorded. The ones on the right are from the 1080p web-dl I posted earlier:
The River Rat (1984).1080p.web-dl.ac3.x264.mkv.

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 pmAs for the available versions so far, I do tend to prefer the uncropped video myself, but the variance in quality from deadman's HD webrip is substantial enough I think I'd like to have both versions this time. :P

Here's my 4:3 for pillowbaker and anyone else who wants it:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [3.05 Gb]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:42 pm The caps on the left are from the version I recorded. The ones on the right are from the 1080p web-dl I posted earlier:
Oh right! Sorry, I initially misread what you wrote earlier. Many thanks for the full-picture file AND the webrip!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:25 pm
David32441 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:25 pmwhich version is that high quality 4:3 one? Yeah, looks better to have that one.

The picture quality isn't nearly as good as the full 1080p web-dl, but the 4:3 version I capped from is actually not the one previously referenced (which comes from VHS). I recorded it myself 20 years ago from a premium movie channel in the US. I had DirecTV at the time, and a Panasonic set top DVD recorder. Anyone remember those? They were hot items for a couple of years. Until the growing availability of HDTV, hard drive recorders, and the advent of bluray made them obsolete.

Someone truly gifted (and if the film was worth it) could scale the 2 videos to the exact same size - and have 2 layers of video! One in the middle using the 1080p - and your 4:3 (AI upscaled of course) to fill out the bottom and top! That would be one f*** of a clever project! You would have to be frame accurate with the video, pixel perfect with the picture scaling and position - and probably have to colour correct one. Can imagine people doing that for PB film - but maybe not this :)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Oh Mr. David, that sure sounds like fun! I wish I knew even where to start.

There might be an almost as much fun method, similar to how I used to do my old fashioned, poor man's muxing style. First what you do is, we have to start two instances of VLC or whatever you like to watch your movies with! :mrgreen:

Then with one of them, we'll have to find if VLC (or your preferred player) has a minimal skin overlay that hides the toolbars during movie playback (only necessary for the instance you play the webrip on).

Then, load both files and start playing them, making sure to size them as large as you like over your monitor. Sadly, this probably won't work with full screen mode. Make sure you're stretching the videos the same width, with deadman's recording being behind/under the webrip! Too much work? Well just wait, the best is yet to come.

Then, while they're both playing, you gotta line them up, time-wise. Of course one will be ahead of the other. Just use VLC's skip variation method. By default, I think VLC will skip ahead 10 seconds with a press of the right arrow key -->, and will jump 3 seconds with shift+arrow key. If you hit play on one instance of your player, start counting einundzwanzig, zweiundzwanzig, dreiundzwanzig and bring up the other instance, and play it by the third second. Then, on the one that's behind 3 seconds, hit shift+right arrow! Didn't do it right, well just pause one of them and dink around with shift+arrow until it is satisfactory.

Then make sure no one bothers you. Wanna try it with me?
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:06 am Oh Mr. David, that sure sounds like fun! I wish I knew even where to start.

There might be an almost as much fun method, similar to how I used to do my old fashioned, poor man's muxing style. First what you do is, we have to start two instances of VLC or whatever you like to watch your movies with! :mrgreen:

Then with one of them, we'll have to find if VLC (or your preferred player) has a minimal skin overlay that hides the toolbars during movie playback (only necessary for the instance you play the webrip on).

Then, load both files and start playing them, making sure to size them as large as you like over your monitor. Sadly, this probably won't work with full screen mode. Make sure you're stretching the videos the same width, with deadman's recording being behind/under the webrip! Too much work? Well just wait, the best is yet to come.

Then, while they're both playing, you gotta line them up, time-wise. Of course one will be ahead of the other. Just use VLC's skip variation method. By default, I think VLC will skip ahead 10 seconds with a press of the right arrow key -->, and will jump 3 seconds with shift+arrow key. If you hit play on one instance of your player, start counting einundzwanzig, zweiundzwanzig, dreiundzwanzig and bring up the other instance, and play it by the third second. Then, on the one that's behind 3 seconds, hit shift+right arrow! Didn't do it right, well just pause one of them and dink around with shift+arrow until it is satisfactory.

Then make sure no one bothers you. Wanna try it with me?
Haha - but yeah... it falls apart if you want to go get a snack, or if you want to watch it on a big 80 inch TV - might be a bit impractical!
The scaling idea would actually work really well for HD broadcasts with logos. You could convert both films to say 25 fps. And place a small amount of the lower quality DVD upscale in the corner with a mask to blur it over the HD one with the logo.
There's a European guy on Youtube that remastered Star Wars to remove all the crap CGI stuff - he did both of the above techniques to remove things like blemishes from one print and the CGI monsters and other stuff Lucas added around 2000. But he first scaled about 5 versions of Star Wars to the same size. Took him about 2 years to do all 3 films!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

David32441 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:08 pm
Someone truly gifted (and if the film was worth it) could scale the 2 videos to the exact same size - and have 2 layers of video! One in the middle using the 1080p - and your 4:3 (AI upscaled of course) to fill out the bottom and top! That would be one f*** of a clever project! You would have to be frame accurate with the video, pixel perfect with the picture scaling and position - and probably have to colour correct one. Can imagine people doing that for PB film - but maybe not this :)
Not sure if it’s comparable but I know that someone did a project with Ridley Scott‘s Directors Cut Version of „Kingdom of Heaven“ (which is a completely different film than its cinematic release):

The directors cut version was only released on BluRay but with black borders. So the person replaced all scenes in the DC version that were also in the cinematic version (that exists as OpenMatte WEB-DL) with video from the Openmatte web-dL. All the scenes that were NOT in the cinematic version obviously remained non-OpenMatte.

So you basically got a hybrid version. Story/scene wise it’s the DC version. But visually scenes from the cinematic OpenMatte were used when available.
Spoiler:

Kingdom.of.Heaven.2005.DC.DTSHD.DL.1080p.Webrip.x264.OM

[Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:17 amRidley Scott‘s Directors Cut Version of „Kingdom of Heaven“
SO the theatrical cut was allowed by Ridley and company to have an open matte presentation on the web, but the director's cut which was only available on home media was released in a cinematic aspect ratio. Oh Ridley, you nutter you!

That's some dedicated fan work making the hybrid, but I tend to find changing aspect ratios distracting myself.