[REL] Starlight Hotel (1987) [New Zealand]

David32441

Re: [REL] Starlight Hotel (1987) [New Zealand]

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Looks a bit more like ghosting from temporal smoothing / ghosting as the car moves and bounces. There is some shimmering in horizontal lines in the film that I wasn't sure how to remove - thought it might be an effect of doing an odd percent zoom - about 127%. Maybe with After Effects and other tools you could do a better job. I'll try and screenshot the scene from the DVD to see what it looks like, but might have deleted the rip.
David32441

I still had the DVD rip loaded - and saw I'd deinterlaced it in Virtualdub.
Seems I used this setting - which was recomended on a DVD ripping forum. You can see the DVD is a lot worse. And you can see the deinterlace artifacts you spotted. So what you saw is a partial deinterlace - more an artifact.
[Image]

often I do find this setting works better, but neither option is perfect at deinterlacing as you can see.
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I wouldn't use the build in deinterlacing filters of VirtualDub. They are really not the best choice. Usually I use Handbrake with the default settings for DVD's. In most cases deinterlacing works pretty perfect, but there are some interlaced DVD's which are really tricky.
Looks a bit more like ghosting from temporal smoothing
No. These ugly stripes/lines are definitely caused by interlaced video (they could not be removed completely).

I am a fan of QTGMC. It always works if other deinterlacing methods fail.
David32441

ghost wrote:I wouldn't use the build in deinterlacing filters of VirtualDub. They are really not the best choice. Usually I use Handbrake with the default settings for DVD's. In most cases deinterlacing works pretty perfect, but there are some interlaced DVD's which are really tricky.
Looks a bit more like ghosting from temporal smoothing
No. These ugly stripes/lines are definitely caused by interlaced video (they could not be removed completely).

I am a fan of QTGMC. It always works if other deinterlacing methods fail.
Ok. Will try and check out QTGMC. The VirtualDub seemed to work for the scenes I previewed quickly - but obviously it's not worked perfectly!
I didn't get the other source for this movie that appeared around the same time as mine. Was mine still an improvement on the that one?
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I would expect AI based deinterlacing to do an even better job. Doesn't Topaz have a setting for that?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Doesn't Topaz have a setting for that?
Yes, it has indeed. But it doesn't work always perfect. Depends really of the source.
David32441

I find Topaz's deinterlace + denoise is not the best denoise for enhancing from DVD.
It's best to deinterlace in one piece of software then use Topaz's Artemis Medium / Low quality for it's denoise settings. The Low setting would only be used for something that's 1080p and has lots of strong noise, eg. 'Marie s'en va-t-en ville', or that TV series 'Den Vita Stenen'

I've found some info on QTGMC, I see lots of people recomend it as the best way to handle interlacing - but not done anything with scripts, so a bit of a learning curve for me I think!
David32441

QTGMC is impressive. It's totally solved that interlacing video issue and made the film look better. I've encoded it with a tad bit more "noise" too I think - though I can't recall my earlier setting. Anyway here's Starlight Hotel 720p v2! Thanks to Ghost for the QTGMC suggestion!

First here's a sample image to show the improvement...
[Image]
Last edited by David32441 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

I've removed the previous Mega links - here's 5 new ones, 300mb chunks again - aprox 1.42gb

https://mega.nz/file/sRI3CACS#qg2Gk_5xV ... L-B-9Eqze0
https://mega.nz/file/UQABGI7K#_JrPZuA0l ... fJX1M4Nzb0
https://mega.nz/file/UdYX3AJY#dlmfHrukA ... ev_B0adWZg
https://mega.nz/file/ARJlDaIT#3WIVcMrnl ... YvSYJsup7o
https://mega.nz/file/kcJTRCQb#EXKky8haI ... pycmn_ehZE

You need all parts and I suggest 7zip or similar to recontruct. Make sure all 5 files are in the same folder. Right click on the first and use 7zip's extract option. Chrome is better for downloading from Mega. I've known Firefox to fail for Mega files >150mb.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Looks much better now. Thank you.