[REL] Starlight Hotel (1987) [New Zealand]

David32441

Re: [REL] Starlight Hotel (1987) [New Zealand]

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

I bought a DVD of this many years ago - the DVD is sssssssssssso terribly grainy and mpegy, but Topaz Video is awesome and so I have made a decent quality version that should exceed any VHS copy - for anyone interested. Think I made it 720p - but it's not terribly clean - but you won't believe how much better it looks than the DVD!
deadman

Post by deadman »   13 likes

David32441 wrote:I bought a DVD of this many years ago - the DVD is sssssssssssso terribly grainy and mpegy, but Topaz Video is awesome and so I have made a decent quality version that should exceed any VHS copy - for anyone interested. Think I made it 720p - but it's not terribly clean - but you won't believe how much better it looks than the DVD!
If this is your rip

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.96 Gb]

there's a problem with it. I've downloaded nearly all of the file, except for one part. eMule keeps giving me this error message:

Downloaded part 138 is corrupt :( (Starlight Hotel 1988 720p dvdrip Dual Castellano-Ingles.mkv)

Over and over it tries to download that last piece and fails. You must have more than one copy of that file. Try replacing the one in your shared folder. If the new file is uncorrupted it should have a different hash and create a new link.
deadman

Post by deadman »   43 likes

Thank you David32441! The new file downloads without a problem and you're right, the quality is excellent. For anyone who wants this movie here's the eMule link:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.96 Gb]

15-year-old Greer Robson-Kirk is very cute in this road movie about a girl in Depression Era New Zealand who skips town to find her father.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

haven't uploaded my copy yet actually - and it's about 1.6Gb! But if the above is 720p then maybe that's a good / enhanced version?
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

David32441 wrote:haven't uploaded my copy yet actually - and it's about 1.6Gb! But if the above is 720p then maybe that's a good / enhanced version?
Within a few minutes of my first post yesterday someone put up a working copy of the previous file. So another user on this site posted it, not you? And didn't claim credit? Interesting.

When you upload yours be sure to let us know. Always nice to have multiple options and see which one looks better! 8-)
David32441

An example of how f****** awesome Topaz is.
This DVD looked awful. Noise, then mpeg noise, and not very sharp. Click the thumbnails to view properly, then click again to view at 100%

how is it improving this so cleanly. Look at the tips of the fence posts!
[Image]

Look how clean the sky is. From mush, to beautiful
[Image]

improvements even on fast moving scenes (shows it's not just a Virtual Dub style temporal cleaner)
[Image]

how it's cleaned up the noise in the old man's face, the neatness of the stripes in the shirts, how the mpeg noise has dissapeared.
[Image]

Natural looking layers in the rocks, a clean sky, the cleaned up lines in the shirt
[Image]

look at how sharp the text is
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks a lot for this upgrade! :thumbsup

Badly deinterlaced, but I guess it looks much better than the DVD.
David32441

The DVD was 4:3 ratio originally - which is a bit odd in itself. Maybe it was a TV movie shot to high quality analogue tape? But not sure about the deinterlace. It looks like analogue tape noise - but can't see interlacing noise myself - there's defintely no interlace tearing. Was obviously not Telecined on modern high-quality equipment. The DVD itself is at least 12 years old, and Telecine equipment has come a long way since the early days of DVD, especially for films that aren't A-grade Hollywood.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You can see it here: Look at the window of the car:
[Image]