[REL] The children of theatre street (1977)

Any documentaries about children can go here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] The children of theatre street (1977)

Post by Night457 »   46 likes

[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image]

The 720p upscale by David32441. English audio, with some English hardsubbed Russian.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.74 Gb]

Picture slideshow:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [54.73 Mb]
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

Ballet :heart :heart :heart :icon_1dancingban
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:29 pm Doesn't look too bad. Thank you, David! :thumbsup

...except for the shitty framerate of 29.97 fps. The movements look jerky. It'a always better to detelecine a NTSC DVD to a framerate of 23.97 fps. It's possible with most of the material. Handbrake is a good choice for this.

I know, I always have to complain about something, so forgive me. :oops:
Never tried that. Didn't know it would give it an advantage? I'd always kept it at the original framerate of the release - as I guess the DVD was a US release then I kept it at the original 29.97. Changing framerate is complicated and mess I thought. I would have thought you would have done it at a step before Handbrake?
I did notice all your films were done at 25fps. But isn't Hollywood film all 24fps?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I would have thought you would have done it at a step before Handbrake?
No. With Handbrake. Filters -> Detelecine: Default. And set the output framerate to 23.976 fps. Movements are much smoother than with 29.97 fps. Check your file. Movements are jerky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down
I did notice all your films were done at 25fps. But isn't Hollywood film all 24fps?
I don't care. ;) I just like that framerate.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:09 pm
I would have thought you would have done it at a step before Handbrake?
No. With Handbrake. Filters -> Detelecine: Default. And set the output framerate to 23.976 fps. Movements are much smoother than with 29.97 fps. Check your file. Movements are jerky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down
I don't care. ;) I just like that framerate.
I'll experiment with it. Just surprised it'd be done in Handbrake, ie. after the upscaling and not in some VirtualDub pre-process before the upscale.
And the 25fps you use didn't seem consistent with the 23.976 fps. I've never of course seen any frame stuttering issues. Does it not cause audio sync issues when you change the speed? I'll probably find out when I test run it on something. I know what you mean about jerkiness in some things when converting 24fps to circa 30fps they do a 3:2 frame pulldown or something where sometimes you get 2 frames across one frame - but that's normally only visible in some scenes, but especially if played back at slow speeds.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I'm not talking about a speed change. You should do a pulldown from 29.97 to 23.98 to get the original framerate again.
I always do this before upscaling, i.e. when I make a rip from the DVD.

You can also use this simple avisynth script:

Code: Select all

DirectShowSource("c:\your_path\video.mp4") 

Tfm()
Tdecimate()