[REL] What Katy Did (1999) (TV)

emuler

Re: [REL] What Katy Did (1999) (TV)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

If you can see the subtitles on the screen, capture the video with the subtitles. That is called hard subbed video - what ghost usually posts.

Now open SubRip, from the File menu select 'open hardsubbed video files' and browse to the files captured with subs.

Now set the area that SubRip will look at to detect the subs. Check the save box. Now click 'run'.
terry666

Post by terry666 »   0 likes

The Hauppauge card I'm getting in, might have the feature to add CC to the MPEG stream. I tested my DVR, and I can't even get the CC on my screen, let alone record them. (My DVR is messed, or CC doesn't come in over S-Video.)

At present, the films I capture usually span two DVDs. For ease of handling, I use VOBMerge to make one large VOB file from the two DVDs. Then I run that file through VideoReDo's "quick stream fix" (to fix any sync problems) which produces another MPG file. I then use VideoReDo again on the new MPG to edit out the commercials. I then put the final edited file through AutoGK.

If I have to run a CC extractor program before any merges or cuts, there is bound to be problems. Some commercials have CC, and some don't. It wouldn't be long before the text was out of sync with the video, since the commercials are cut out of my final release.

However...

If I find a reliable way to extract CC, I could release my rips in a 700mb x 2 format, and leave the commercials in. This would:

- save me time :)
- avoid any syncing problems with the CC
- add more quality (even with the commercials)
- give you a chance to see all the spots with young girl actors. There are some cute ones.

Just guessing, but I think the majority would not want the commercials. I'd love to be wrong though.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

emuler wrote:If you can see the subtitles on the screen, capture the video with the subtitles. That is called hard subbed video - what ghost usually posts.

Now open SubRip, from the File menu select 'open hardsubbed video files' and browse to the files captured with subs.

Now set the area that SubRip will look at to detect the subs. Check the save box. Now click 'run'.
Sounds easy and I am sure some work nicely. But the OCR accuracy in subrip is highly dependent on the font. Even for softsubs standard fonts and fonts with outlines work very well, highly kerned fonts can be a real pain. If they are hardsubs and the background is sometimes close in color to the text then it can be very frustrating. I want to release an Argentinean movie where the Region 1 hardsubbed DVD version is a lousy transfer but the unsubbed version already on eMule is good quality. It took me three hours to get through less than 10 minutes of screen time OCRing hardsubs, constantly tweaking OCR settings, before I gave up.

I do agree though closed captions might actually OCR a little better since they are added electronically and are thus sharper.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Damn! Forgot about commercials. :( Leave the subs then - too much manual labour. :( If we find that they are really needed, my other niece and my sister will sit down and make the subs. If they do, I'll be sure to post them here.

Personally, I don't mind commercials in the rip. If it really becomes irksome, VLC has a very nice 2x and 4x speed setting feature that can be used to zip through them.