Site Admin

Re: [REL] Un Dramma borghese (1979)

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Nice upgrade. Thanks.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   35 likes

English Subtitles here, mostly well-translated and mostly in sync.

Thanks, heiber, I enjoyed this immensely!

Technical & software discussion:
Spoiler:

I found French subtitles at opensubtitles, transcribed from the French-Canadian VHS hardsubs. From the screenshots I am guessing they match the previous file upload.

The Google machine-translation to English that I did in Subtitle Edit actually came out pretty well, making the story and dialog clear and comprehensible. I did not do any editing or corrections, so pronoun troubles are left as is. (Confusion of "he" "she" and "it".)

After syncing the beginning and ending of the subtitle file, upon review I could see that within a few minutes the subs were 6 seconds late, gradually improving toward the middle of the film when they were in sync again, then suddenly the subs were 9 seconds early, gradually improving toward full sync at the end!! I wondered if somehow there were a few seconds of non-dialog footage missing in one part of the film and inserted in another part. Ultimately my best guess is that originally the video and subtitle files were in two parts, and when combined the sync was messed up in the subtitle file. FORTUNATELY, Subtitle Edit is amazing and allows the setting of multiple sync points: I used THIRTY. I watched the film with subtitles then and was surprised with the effectiveness of the results. Some scenes are a little loose with the sync, but it is still clear who is saying what.
Direct download of English subtitles:
Un dramma borghese [SATRip Sky] (Florestano Vancini - 1979, con Franco Nero, Lara Wendel, Dalila Di Lazzaro).srt
Emule download of English subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [56.6 Kb]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

AND thanks for the subs!

Don't go quietly into the night.
heiber

Post by heiber »   54 likes

Here's another version of subs that more accurately reflects the Italian audio. Used YouTube's AI auto-closed caption service which "listens" to the audio of video and automatically transcribes it. Used the text of the Italian audio from that to translate it to English. The technology hasn't been perfected yet, so in those few moments just translated the French subtitles.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [62.5 Kb]
Last edited by heiber on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Great! I always want improved subtitles. Is this movie on YouTube? I couldn't find it. Is there a way to use the YouTube audio transcription on a movie that is not actually on YouTube?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks for the improved subs!

Another italian movie is Il grande cocomero https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... =16&t=1368 .

We still have no English subtitles for it. :cry:

I just hadn't the time and mood to translate them yet. So, if someone wanna try to do it, I really would appreciate it a lot ;)
heiber

Post by heiber »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Great! I always want improved subtitles. Is this movie on YouTube? I couldn't find it. Is there a way to use the YouTube audio transcription on a movie that is not actually on YouTube?
No, it's blocked. You need to upload using an account and in order to upload a video over 15 minutes, you need a verified account. You can upload low quality version of film without publishing it, wait overnight while transcription does its magic, then copy the text. There's other websites that have similar transcription that may be better, but this was my 1st attempt.

Ideally, if the video isn't blocked, you'd use YT's subtitle download button, or maybe something like youtube-dl to just grab the subtitles/closed-captioning so that the file is already in the proper format with the timecodes, then just translate using google, bing, reverso, deepl translate, etc. and I'd guess be done quickly. If blocked, although you can view the words and timecodes, you can't download it in that format, but you can view/copy just the raw text without the timecodes and manually input using subtitle edit.