[REL] Mavri Emmanouella (1979) [Greece]

goku33

Re: [REL] Mavri Emmanouella (1979) [Greece]

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:03 pm
Could it simply be the difference between NTSC and PAL formats?
I don't think so. The ok.ru file has 25fps and German DVD is in PAL also. So the mystery remains...
What about a frame per frame comparison ? (Not manually)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

That's a good idea, goku.

The ok.ru file has 136829 frames, mine has only 131461 frames. So there must be something missing...
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

The ok.ru upscale has the same footage as deadman's NTSC DVD posted in 2018, minus some seconds of the end credit runoff. I only had to compare a few scenes near the end to verify that they match up in scenes and runtime.

I will take your word for it that the ok.ru upscale is 25fps, because I am not going to download it. When they upscaled the 29.970 NTSC DVD to 720p, they apparently resampled the FPS, which changes the FPS while keeping duration and sync. While Avidemux does not do upscaling (that I know of?), it has a filter that does exactly that, changing the framerate without changing the duration. What kind of technical magic it does to accomplish that I am not exactly sure, but the process may very well introduce or remove some frames to keep the sync. Right?

Ghost's file is 1 h 27 min 38 s 432 ms
Deadman's DVD is 1 h 31 min 8 s 963 ms
The ok.ru version is about 1h 30 min 57 s (not downloaded to verify)

The ok.ru version is about 199 seconds longer than ghost's. If both ghost's file and ok.ru are 25fps, then the ok.ru version will naturally have more frames!

Using ghost's frame calculation:
136829 - 131461 = 5368 frames, divided by 25fps = 214.72 seconds

As to why the time difference recalculated from the number of frames (214.72 seconds) does not match the apparent time difference (199 seconds), I am just going to assume it is due to some technical anomaly introduced in the framerate resampling process.

Now just watch and enjoy this trashy sexploitation title, whatever version y'all have! The music is great!
goku33

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:45 pm
That's a good idea, goku.

The ok.ru file has 136829 frames, mine has only 131461 frames. So there must be something missing...
https://vicuesoft.com/vq-probe/

I will find other tools.
ghost
Site Admin

Thanks goku. Looks like an interesting tool.

I played both videos at the same time in Premiere Pro.

I think IT IS a framerate issue. My file is playing faster. Maybe I had the US DVD and converted it from 23.98 fps to 25 fps to match it with the German audio track. I really can't remember.

And Thanks, Night457 for your mathematics. ;)
goku33

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:53 pm Thanks goku. Looks like an interesting tool.

I played both videos at the same time in Premiere Pro.

I think IT IS a framerate issue. My file is playing faster. Maybe I had the US DVD and converted it from 23.98 fps to 25 fps to match it with the German audio track. I really can't remember.

And Thanks, Night457 for your mathematics. ;)
Yeah I‘ve noticed in the past that Night really enjoys his maths :D :D

This goes way beyond our scope but I thought it was interesting:
https://aws.amazon.com/de/blogs/media/m ... n-content/
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Hey, I'm not the one who counted the frames and posted them. YOU GUYS brought in the numbers! Your high tech software options are certainly interesting and potentially very useful, however.

I was perfectly satisfied comparing a "25fps" video with an NTSC video and discovering that the footage matched.
ghost
Site Admin

I didn't count. Otherwise I must have counted in high speed. ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »   0 likes

I checked the runtime of my DVD - 1:30:35. Unfortunately I have no way to determine the number of frames or fpm (at least that I know of).

On another but related subject, does anybody know of a DOB for the actor Haris Tryfonas (AKA Harris Stevens), who plays the hit-man Mario that Emanuelle hires and who ultimately has his way with poor Livia? Just idle curiosity. I have to wonder what it was like filming that scene - was he worried about possible legal repercussions? Because, um... well, just look at it... Oh, and the movie is listed in an interesting place:

https://www.iafd.com/title.rme/title=ma ... ouella.htm

Gee, guess which actress doesn't have a picture there, just a listing?
Walter

Post by Walter »   0 likes

Has anybody found a Greek-language version of this film? Supposedly the original dialogue was in Greek and Italian - which makes sense given the director and location. I know the Greek DVD version is supposed to be of inferior picture quality to what I already have, but I'd like to hear Livia's actual voice - unless of course I'm wrong?

Also, does the German version of the film available here happen to include the bonus features such as the production stills and outtakes? I haven't seen those yet.