[REL] Princ od papira (2008) [Serbia]

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Princ od papira (2008) [Serbia]

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you and congratulations for the completed subs, pillowbaker! I will save reading your minor spoiler translation notes until after I watch the movie. And I am now helping to emule the blizzardkid video with you.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Also a big thank you from me, pillowbaker. :P I know how hard it can be and how much time it takes.
Night457
Global Moderator

I enjoyed this a lot and adored our little heroine! I could definitely relate to her exasperation with the stupidity of most of the adults around her.

Movie reactions and response to translation notes:
Spoiler:

I still hear "Chewbacca"!

I had to chuckle about the "Home Alone" conversation later in the film, because early on the physical appearance of the little blond boy made me think of that movie. Except this kid (Pegi) I actually LIKED.

Pillowbaker, I think you did a great job on the translation and dealt well with the idioms. Your choices were sound and the dialog flowed naturally. I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to make a few comments --

There was only ONE WORD in the subtitle that stood out as strange to me, when the artist was bragging how he could draw a perfectly round circle freehand and the girl responded:

00:20:54,505 --> 00:20:57,106
Слуги, дайте ему бумагу и карандаш.
Servants, give him paper and pencil.

"Servants"? Huh? This reminded me of translating the Swedish word "tjänare" which means "servants" but informally means "hello" when used as an interjection. I wondered if the Russian "Слуги" might also have some informal meaning as an interjection. I have not found anything online and I can not guess what it might be.
463 (41:55)
"Female henpecked"
"woman's whippersnapper"
"woman's whipping boy"

Well, I get the idea of how she's teasing the boy, but henpecked doesn't seemed to have gotten wide use in English (to my knowledge). The closest I could think of in modern usage is the slang "he's whipped", which I haven't heard since like 2005, and it does sound rather lame.
"Henpecked" is almost an archaic word these days, because our culture and the relationships between men and women have advanced and matured so much that they now routinely see and treat each other as equals and don't even consider joking about power imbalances. But I am old enough to be familiar with the term from the dark ages, and from watching old movies. There were a lot of henpecked men in the 1950s, if you believe Hollywood movies anyway.

I think it unlikely that preteens would call a boy "pussy whipped" but that is my immediate alternate translation choice. I can think of even cruder terms, too.
"You can't fool me on the chaff.
Thank goodness you changed that one! I have not the faintest idea what that idiom means. What you came up with made sense to me.

The children's confusion about telling time on an old-fashioned round clock with hands was highly amusing. Earlier in the film (28:38 - 28:43) I wondered if I had forgotten how to tell time myself when the clock tower rang TWO when the face clearly displays the time as 1:10 ! Were the filmmakers having a go at us, or did the sound editor foley in the tolling bell even though it did not match the image?
vlcsnap-2022-11-20-03h18m49s459.jpg
On a video tech note, I am a little disappointed with my recommendation of the Blizzardkid 720p HDTV-rip because the image seems occasionally jittery when I actually sat down to watch it. I noticed it but it did not detract from my enjoying the film. The BK specs claim it as 25fps (NOT 30fps) but my player says it is 50fps. That suggests that it had Yadif Bob deinterlacing, or some other processing that doubles the framerate. I don't know if that would cause jitter. Unfortunately I have not seen another video that looks consistently better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

because the image seems occasionally jittery
Yes, I noticed that too and that's a pity :(. I don't know what they did to this movie. I suggest that the original framerate must have been 25 fps. Even if you double the framerate, movements still should be smooth.
Night457
Global Moderator

Now that I look back through the posts I see that pillowbaker noticed a stutter in some shots.
ghost wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:56 am Yes, I noticed that too and that's a pity :(. I don't know what they did to this movie.
I have to admit that most of the time when you complain about jitter I just am not able to see it, maybe because I am naturally shaky anyway. (Or on first download I don't take the time to watch it in motion and just focus on still-image quality.) But this one I could see, both through my blu-ray player and on my computer. Still, the image is much clearer than the smaller-sized, lower-resolution files on uloz and youtube.

I had not previously retrieved the 2014 release by appcht (and kev) that is a 700mb AVI, but it is available at the moment so I am going to check the quality on it. Sometimes those old AVIs surprise me with how good they are.
I suggest that the original framerate must have been 25 fps. Even if you double the framerate, movements still should be smooth.
That is what I thought, from the one time I did a Yadif Bob frame double in order to deinterlace. (I was leery of messing with the framerate but that was the only deinterlacer that actually gave a good result on the file.)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

This post is for those who don't like jitter. If you are satisfied with the "Princ od papira (2007) - 720p.mp4" video, ignore this!

OK, here is the previously posted 360p dual-language Russian and Serbian ulozto link:
https://ulozto.net/file/u3HKm1Ib7k4g/pr ... 5LFQIwZD==

And here is the 416p Serbian-language 2014 FLM emule version released both by
appcht here and kev here.

It seems to have somewhat better video than the ulozto remux, and is currently shared on emule. Either one ALSO seems to NOT have the jitter that is in the 720p HDTV version sourced from Blizzardkid. The sharper 720p image is nice, but I know that jitter can be a deal breaker for some.

Here are sample screenshots from the jitter-free 2014 416p version on emule:
[Image][Image][Image]

It has a different runtime than the 720p version.

Here are pillowbaker's English subtitles AND the Russian subtitle resynced to the jitter-free versions, both the FLM originals on emule and the ulozto remux:
Princ od papira 85min20sec EN&RU.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   16 likes

I managed to fix the framerate issue. Now its playing nice and smoothly with 25 fps:

d2k://|file|Princ%20od%20papira%20(2007).720p.HDTV.mkv|2138502679|61D272290C5BE94B9C3BD916B785B7BC|h=L2H3TFWV3ZZOXRYTFY64BZNBDJPKAWCA|/

Like this post to see ed2k links  [73.7 Kb]
Night457
Global Moderator

I did not even realize there was a de-jitter function in video processing software, since I did not think just changing the framerate again would fix it once it was messed up. Great, thanks!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

It's called frame interpolation. It generates additional frames between two frames.

Topaz isn't only good for AI upscaling. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:41 pm It's called frame interpolation.
Now that I think about it, I've heard of that. Considering what you can do with Topaz, I can see how that software would do that as well.