[REL] Princ od papira (2008) [Serbia]

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Princ od papira (2008) [Serbia]

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Thank you guys for the kind response! And thanks again for fixing the framerate issue and sharing a new file, ghost! I am very happy to have a better version of this. I hope even better TV rips come around in the future.

So yeah, I did warn about the jitteriness of the HDTV BK file, but I can't blame anyone for not noticing at first, as my wall of text kinda buried it. I am considering alternatives to my write-up style, as brevity often seems to garner a wider response. I do have trouble even in RL being wordy and repetitious. :P

The file Night brought up is great for a 360p resolution video of 393mb! It is where I originally found the Russian subs (of course I transferred to the subs on BK which are identical in translation). What I find most curious here is the audio.

Have you noticed that the audio is much louder and clearer on the lower resolution file, and quieter on the HDTV rip? I understand this could be because of the recording software used to grab the file, or the original stream on which the movie was aired and captured from). I cannot honestly tell if the 360p file has higher quality audio simply because it is louder, but I definitely prefer it on my limited setup. And perhaps the issue derives from my setup, as this is not the only time this has happened to me. It sometimes seems like the older dvdrips I've collected sound louder than newer HD encodes of the same film, even when the audio appears like it would be higher quality (uncompressed flac or surround dts -- side note: dts is completely lost on my setup).

Response to Night's movie reactions.
Spoiler:

I liked Pegi as well. I tend to enjoy those characters that stand out as serious and helpful. And Ema "Straight Joe" was also a cool influence for them both. I am still unsure why Pegi's attitude seemed to have gotten subtly worse near the end. Perhaps he was becoming annoyed with the audacious troubles that Julija had created.
00:20:54,505 --> 00:20:57,106
Слуги, дайте ему бумагу и карандаш.
Servants, give him paper and pencil.

"Servants"? Huh? This reminded me of translating the Swedish word "tjänare" which means "servants" but informally means "hello" when used as an interjection. I wondered if the Russian "Слуги" might also have some informal meaning as an interjection. I have not found anything online and I can not guess what it might be.
Yeah, with this area, both google and deepL gave "servants" and deepL even offered a range of other similar words in its click-for-dictionary service. And considering the game she's playing in the scene, I thought it sounded ok. She was pretending (or, as I am told by those practicing this fine art, "noooo. we call it 'roleplaying.'), and she was also wearing a crown and stationed up high. I figured she would have some servants or attendants or something. Maybe I could had more fun with the scene and wrote, "guards, feed him to the lions!" :mrgreen:

I am surprised you didn't mention my choice of "bleuhk", which I transliterated from the Serbian and went with instead of both google and deepL's unified suggestion, "uhg". I decided on this because the word bleuhk sounded great on its own, and the way she said it was cute.

"Henpecked" is almost an archaic word these days, because our culture and the relationships between men and women have advanced and matured so much that they now routinely see and treat each other as equals and don't even consider joking about power imbalances.
[ :D :lol: Love it. Perhaps this is precisely why I had trouble finding an appropriate equivalent in English; almost unheard of nowadays.]
I think it unlikely that preteens would call a boy "pussy whipped" but that is my immediate alternate translation choice. I can think of even cruder terms, too.
:lol: Pussy whipped! Haha, even having heard of this one before, I don't think I would have ever come up with this one on my own. Imagine hearing this from the preteens in class directly in front of their stern teacher. Not saying that it wouldn't have happened in my classes. The other consideration I had for that line was "bitch boy".

Thank goodness you changed that one! I have not the faintest idea what that idiom means. What you came up with made sense to me.
From what I recall, if I'm even remembering this correctly, a source for idiomatic phrases said this basically means "you can't pull a fast one on me!", and in this case, "you can't fool me again", but I was as mystified over the word "chaff" as Julija was. I assumed the original translator was using a Russian idiom in place of where a Serbian idiom was being used. "I'll have a bone to pick with you" was another one I considered.

The children's confusion about telling time on an old-fashioned round clock with hands was highly amusing.
Hahah yeah, then I'm glad that part came out clear enough. I think it required some work to both make it clear what they were saying, and clear that they were confused.
Earlier in the film (28:38 - 28:43) I wondered if I had forgotten how to tell time myself when the clock tower rang TWO when the face clearly displays the time as 1:10 ! Were the filmmakers having a go at us, or did the sound editor foley in the tolling bell even though it did not match the image?
Now I believe you may have stumbled on a goof worth of being entered into the imdb "Goofs" section of this film!! But I had not noticed this more subtle detail.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 amHave you noticed that the audio is much louder and clearer on the lower resolution file, and quieter on the HDTV rip?
I no longer have the 360p BK / ulozto version, so I compared the 720p HDTV to the 416p 2014 FLM release, and I agree with you that the 720p version is quieter.
I understand this could be because of the recording software used to grab the file, or the original stream on which the movie was aired and captured from).
Seems reasonable. TV broadcast quality for audio can be bad and sometimes so is DVR. A broadcaster or individual video encoder can also boost the audio volume if they choose. It is easy to do with a number of processing software programs, and occasionally it is necessary.
even when the audio appears like it would be higher quality (uncompressed flac or surround dts
I have generally noticed on discs with multiple audio tracks that stereo will be louder than surround, for whatever reason.

More movie / translation comments -
Spoiler:

Perhaps he was becoming annoyed with the audacious troubles that Julija had created.
I can understand his exasperation.
she was also wearing a crown and stationed up high. I figured she would have some servants or attendants or something.
OHHHHHHHH!!!! Now I get it. You're right, she was just continuing with the playacting and was addressing the pretend "servants" who would be in attendance in her role as princess. I forgot that she was tormenting him and keeping him locked up, forcing him to keep her amused!
I am surprised you didn't mention my choice of "bleuhk", which I transliterated from the Serbian and went with instead of both google and deepL's unified suggestion, "uhg".
I assumed that was just the Serbian spelling of the exclamation "blech" and it made sense to me.
The other consideration I had for that line was "bitch boy".
Again ... preteens? In front of their teacher?
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:22 am
ghost wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:41 pm It's called frame interpolation.
Now that I think about it, I've heard of that. Considering what you can do with Topaz, I can see how that software would do that as well.
The Matrix used it in the bullet time sequences. They had the still cameras as close as they could. But they still needed to generate every other frame inbetween. Think 100hz TV's have been doing that for a decade with 50/60hz content, the new 200hz ones too are doing so too.
Last edited by David32441 on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

BTW: I watched it yesterday. Everything is smooth in the first 38 minutes, but then it's getting jerky again in some parts. :( I don't know what went wrong.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

It does look like it's been shot on a phone, something cheap and rubbish about the colours - not a good digital camera (REDs and Arri Alexa can rival film cameras now).
Would it not help dropping it back to 25fps instead of 50? Then running it through Topaz's tool?
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   19 likes

It wasn't easy, but I could fix it. :x Every minute is smooth now.

Some parts in the movie very different, I don't know what was the difference, but they still were playing jerky. So I made a slow motion with 25fps for the bad parts, 50% speed in Topaz, loaded them in DaVinci Resolve, speeded them up again to 100% using Optical flow. I don't know why, but it worked perfectly.

Enough tech talk, here's the new file (if you wanna download it once more):

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.99 Gb]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Thanks again ghost. Yeah, I'll take the file for sure!