[REL] Le grand chemin (1987)

DreamScape

Re: [REL] Le grand chemin (1987)

Post by DreamScape »   2 likes

Thanks for the magnet, ghost.

For anyone with the ygg torrent, here are subtitles from the larger video to use with it
Le.grand.chemin.1987.1080p.BluRay.DD2.0.x264-MOMOHD_track3_eng.srt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you ghost, ferdi and and goku in your efforts to get this shared!

Has anyone verified whether the English text subtitles in the MOMOHD torrent are in sync with the movie? I realize that English is not necessarily your first language choice for subtitles, especially when there are so many other language choices at opensubtitles. I ask because this file is rather large and I have been warned it may be slow, and I have had previous issues with subtitle sync for this movie...
Spoiler:

I had to give up on syncing English subtitles to the 1080 HDTV Uloz and deadman files. I found French subtitles that fit them perfectly and machine-translated them, but Google is still bewildered by (rural? / suburban? / provincial?) French and made a bit of a mess of it, unsurprisingly making no sense at all of colloquialisms. It was also clear that the existing English subtitle frequently omitted dialog and simplified the translations, because it did not really match the French at all. That simple translation would be fine for me if using the French subtitle for a "Point sync via another subtitle" had worked, but the English kept drifting away from sync throughout the film. I finally decided that life was too short and I returned to relying on ghost's older 720p version for repeat viewings, because THAT one has the subtitles synced.
EDIT: Oops, did not see DreamScape's post because it was on the next page.

DreamScape, thank you for sharing those English subtitles! That gives me a chance to see if they will work with the HDTV versions, or if those versions are in fact hopelessly alternately timed.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

The subtitles in the 15 GB seemed in sync, but I only checked a couple short scenes. I attached them because previously I only had subtitles that were synced to an HDTV vid and they didn't line up to the smaller BD rip very well, even after adjusting for the different frame rate.

EDIT: saw your spoiler and saw you had a similar experience to me :lol:
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

DreamScape wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:39 am EDIT: saw your spoiler and saw you had a similar experience to me :lol:
Yes! It seems there is a problem with HDTV vs Blu or DVD-sourced subtitles. Maybe in the process of changing the framerate they add frames? Just a guess. It was very exasperating because I thought I had reached the point of being pretty good at resyncing even problematic subtitles. Then I am humbled.

Your spot-checks reassure me, thank you! For a 15Gb monster, the torrent is going rather fast. I was concerned about subtitle sync because I was pretty sure the only subtitles original to the source would be the BD French. I have encountered plenty of torrents and direct-download files where the internal subtitles are NOT EVEN CLOSE to being in sync, so I know they sometimes get added without being carefully checked. C'est la vie. As it has TWO Chinese subtitles, I can be positive the torrent is Chinese-sourced, and the English subtitles may have been thrown in simply to give it a broader international appeal. I certainly can not expect the Chinese originators to carefully check the sync of English subtitles for an occasional surprise loss of sync in the middle of a film.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   2 likes

It's a rip from the Blu-ray and I'm pretty sure, the subs are directly from the disk. And yes: I can confirm, that the English subtitles are in sync. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

Yay! Thank you for confirming what DreamScape had partly checked, ghost!

15Gb is more than I really want, but if the end result does not require any more work on my part then it makes it worthwhile. Because at a certain point, I simply want to sit down again with a movie that I KNOW I already like to enjoy it ... and fall asleep 40 minutes in. :mrgreen:
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

That 14 gb might be too much for those who have older computers like me
Picture freezes sometimes

If you like smaller files then Le grand chemin French 1080p HDTV H264-Kesni (available via magnets or uloz is quite OK)
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

[deleted]
Last edited by goku33 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Update: that 3,29 HDTV... it probably have fraction of seconds missing here and there because if I tried to synchronize subs and set first and last spoken line to the place text moved backwards and forwards (from that place in the movie)
Night457
Global Moderator

ferdi111 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:47 pm Update: that 3,29 HDTV... it probably have fraction of seconds missing here and there because if I tried to synchronize subs and set first and last spoken line to the place text moved backwards and forwards (from that place in the movie)
This looks like another version of deadman's file, which is one of the ones I found impossible to sync English subtitles with.