Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
goku33

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

My point is why do you have more servers than eMule-security is listing? Or maybe their website isn’t up to date? I apologize if I’m confusing something right now
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I have to admit my technical knowledge about eMule is actually rather limited. AFAIK it finds sources quickly if users are on the same server and AFAIK most FLM users are on emule-security, so I have deleted all servers besides emule-security and I have only one server listed...

One way or another I don't think I've ever had problems finding sources if they do exist. Once you find at least one source, Kad and source exchange kick in. I think the servers may possibly exchange sources between them as well. In any case, there is no problem finding sources if users are even on different servers.

The idea of ip-filter was to block IP adresses of LEA, but nowadays IP addresses are very volatile and ip-filter is in practice impossible to maintain, so using it would likely block many good peers and *not* LEA.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

My understanding is that LowID users can sometimes connect to other LowID users if they are on the same server, but almost never if they are not. Emule Security seems to be the "agreed upon" common server. HighID users can connect to anyone on any server.

I also use eMule to search out NON-FLM results. The Search Method can be variously defined: Automatic / Server / Global (Servers) / Kad Network / FileDonkey (Web). I would think that only having one server in the server list might limit my search results. Or finding a source may take longer with only one server. I dunno.

I have Options / Server / "Use priority system" checked and eMule Security set to Priority: High, so most of the time that is where I am connected. I have had occasions where I get disconnected from eMule Security, so I like to have immediate backups available. It automatically seeks out another server if I get disconnected.
goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:12 pm My point is why do you have more servers than eMule-security is listing? Or maybe their website isn’t up to date? I apologize if I’m confusing something right now

You mean, like confusing ME? :mrgreen:
I am not sure what list you are looking at. Can you provide a web address link?
goku33

Night457 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:52 am
I am not sure what list you are looking at. Can you provide a web address link?
https://www.emule-security.org/serverlist/
Night457
Global Moderator

OK goku, now I see why you are asking. Unfortunately I have no certain answer!

The link you provided gave a small list of servers, most of which I have used. You can not go wrong with that list. And if you go to the Home page, that page of the site seems to be up to date as of today. Partway down the Home page on the right side is a "How to" / "Serverlist update" link:

https://www.emule-security.org/e107_plu ... ?0.cat.6.5

And this gives instructions (FAQ#5) for using

Code: Select all

http://upd.emule-security.org/server.met
in your eMule client, just exactly as I suggested. And when you use it, then it gives you a whole heck of a lot more servers than on their serverlist page!!!!

I am bewildered. My only guess is that since the FAQ#5 dates back to 2011, perhaps the "Serverlist" page ALSO dates back that far and has not ever been updated. It shows the exact good servers available years ago? While the "live" link gives all the good servers available today. I guess eMule has grown. I would have to take a screencap of that page and then look at it again in a few days to see if the statistics have changed.

EDIT: see mimzy's posts below. I had an option checked that added more servers from sources OTHER than the emule-security list. That is why I was displaying such a ridiculously long list. I now have it back down to an approved and reasonable amount.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Wasn't there a checkbox somewhere to add more servers automatically? I guess if any peer would use a server that is not on the list, it would be added? IIRC that option was not recommended, because there were fake servers that were distributing spam results.
Night457
Global Moderator

That certainly does not sound good. These are the checkbox options I have in eMule v0.50a -
Server.jpg
I interpret all the options (both checked and not checked) to mean that servers are only loaded from the chosen server list URL. Or am I wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

"Update server list when connecting to a server" sounds like each server might have a list of buddy servers that would be added automatically.

I think in the server list file there are indeed not so many servers. I probably got my server.met from emule-security and there were initially 10 servers or so.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

mimzy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:14 pm "Update server list when connecting to a server" sounds like each server might have a list of buddy servers that would be added automatically.
YOU FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! Thanks! (Goku, are you reading this?) I unchecked that option and then disconnected and reconnected to emule. Then I REMOVED all 40+ servers from my available options. Then I Updated server.met from the emule-security URL, and I got just 15 servers.

I don't know for certain that those "buddy servers" caused any harm, but I did not need them. Thank you Goku for asking what was going on with my huge list, and Mimzy for figuring it out!!
goku33

I’d like to add that Heyena was probably right that aMule is indeed broken. I will observe this for a day and see how it goes. I did get HighID and managed to connect to ed2k & Kad successfully (although for a brief moment with KAD it said „firewalled“).

I tried the Gritta 1080p release from @ghost and it indeed stopped after 15MB. It did continue after I stopped and manually resumed the download. On aMule forums some people suggested that maybe the aMule client gets banned during downloads and unbanned when restarting downloads again. Weirdly people using the Windows version of aMule do not have these issues. I guess I will try running eMule through wine as heyena suggested.

Feel free to try to DOWNLOAD the Psy.1992 release I just posted myself in its thread. I’m curious if users can download without issues from aMule?