Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:43 pmI did get HighID and managed to connect to ed2k & Kad successfully (although for a brief moment with KAD it said „firewalled“).
If that is when you were starting amule and connecting, that is normal for emule too. It goes through a slow checking process until the KAD connections are open.
I tried the Gritta 1080p release from @ghost and it indeed stopped after 15MB. It did continue after I stopped and manually resumed the download.
Well, to tell the truth this is normal for me for ghost's releases lately. It starts quickly and then pauses, and resumes later. I figured in part it is because his releases tend to be in high demand. It is also possible that he chose some setting that rotates his uploading among all the people trying for it, so that he does not have a succession of people hogging all his bandwidth and then immediately leaving when they are done downloading. He might be trying to force sharing by those with partial downloads. Me, I try to share everything I eMule for at least 2 weeks from the initial download, AND I can wait to complete a file, so it is not a problem for me. I do not bother trying to stop and resume, it just resumes by itself eventually. Maybe it is different for amule, but I suggest you try the "wait and see" approach. If it has gone say 6 hours without any resumption of downloading, then I guess you really DO have to resume it. I am also sharing the Gritta file, so you just might get some of it from me too.
On aMule forums some people suggested that maybe the aMule client gets banned during downloads and unbanned when restarting downloads again.
My little knowledge of banning in my emule client is that other people get unbanned when I restart the client itself. I can not say anything about amule. I have often suspected that people sometimes get banned not because THEY did anything particularly nasty, but because they have connectivity issues and their client keeps trying to resume a download itself. Since I close and restart emule daily, I am doing all that *I* can do on my end.
Feel free to try to DOWNLOAD the Psy.1992 release I just posted myself in its thread. I’m curious if users can download without issues from aMule?
I am having no problem, but then I am also HighID. I am getting it from an amuler who I assume is you, as well as from an emuler.

Thank you, I don't mind upgrading that movie one bit!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:58 pm
besides the interruptions, aMule is a great piece of software. I do wish the ed2k Community would be bigger nowadays. I must say it’s an interesting technology. Although I guess torrents+DHT are also a Great Alternative. eDonkey2000 is special with it’s integrated search. I like that you can find obscure, old content that’s not available anywhere else anymore (because filehosts are often gone after a few years, e.g. uploaded.net).

I just wish the ed2k clients would get more updates and fixes, improvements.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:43 pm I tried the Gritta 1080p release from @ghost and it indeed stopped after 15MB. It did continue after I stopped and manually resumed the download.
Small interruptions are normal, but if it get's permanently stuck, consumes huge amount of memory, etc., you aMule package is not compiled correctly.

I can see aMule clients regularly and I used aMule recently myself without problems.
goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:43 pm I guess I will try running eMule through wine as heyena suggested.
I'd recommend that. As I wrote above eMule *seems* to to work better. eMule under Wine has also a minor problem, though. It often crashes during AICH recovery, so I've made a script that restarts it. Maybe you have a different experience, depending on Wine version, etc.
ican_art

Post by ican_art »   0 likes

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz doesn't work anymore, failed to get a valid HTTP response from the server it states
Night457
Global Moderator

ican_art wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:06 am http : // www. bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz doesn't work anymore, failed to get a valid HTTP response from the server it states
Thank you for the notice, I have now put a warning in the first post. There are no doubt other items out-of-date in this guide. I am not sure IP Filtering can even be effectively accomplished in eMule anymore. (Incidentally, I have never used it and never saw the need.)

If you are installing eMule for the first time, I suggest the bare minimum default Setup and see how it works before you go fine-tuning the options to your liking. Good luck!
barracute

Post by barracute »   1 likes

If you have a part download which has been static for a couple of months so presumably there is no more available is there a way to download/watch what you have or can you only view if and when you have 100%? I have a couple of files that have been in the 90's % for months and nothing more is happening so seems thats it, and so would at least like to be able to view what i have? I tried clicking on the preview but it says can't find file?
Night457
Global Moderator

I am afraid I don't have any quick helpful answers. Does anyone know how to force a .part file to play when the eMule Preview option does not work on it? Is there some video player more powerful than VLC that will do it?
barracute wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:12 am If you have a part download which has been static for a couple of months so presumably there is no more available
If it is an FLM Release then request a reshare in the movie thread. Members are good about resharing what they have, so you might be able to get it complete. But if that does not work or it is not an FLM Release ...
I tried clicking on the preview but it says can't find file?
Preview only works when the option is in black and not greyed out. Specifically,
Preview only works when the first and last parts have already been downloaded and enough space for the preview file is available on your Temp disk.
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl ... ic_id=138#

If you want to read and experiment further ...

The above link goes on with information about using VLC "to play back even broken / incomplete files". I am NOT sure if this actually includes files that do not have both the first and last parts, and that page has not been updated since 2006! I got as far as the end of the "Preview multimedia files with VLC" section, but I could not find "PreviewSmallBlocks" in my Preferences.ini file (accessible through Options/Extended/Open_preferences.ini). After that, the "VLC and eMule Part File Access Module" Plugin section made my eyes glaze over. I would bet that a 17-year-old VLC Plugin might not still be updated anyway. At this point I quit my experimenting.
barracute

Post by barracute »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:18 pm I am afraid I don't have any quick helpful answers. Does anyone know how to force a .part file to play when the eMule Preview option does not work on it? Is there some video player more powerful than VLC that will do it?
barracute wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:12 am If you have a part download which has been static for a couple of months so presumably there is no more available
If it is an FLM Release then request a reshare in the movie thread. Members are good about resharing what they have, so you might be able to get it complete. But if that does not work or it is not an FLM Release ...
I tried clicking on the preview but it says can't find file?
Preview only works when the option is in black and not greyed out. Specifically,
Preview only works when the first and last parts have already been downloaded and enough space for the preview file is available on your Temp disk.
https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl ... ic_id=138#

If you want to read and experiment further ...

The above link goes on with information about using VLC "to play back even broken / incomplete files". I am NOT sure if this actually includes files that do not have both the first and last parts, and that page has not been updated since 2006! I got as far as the end of the "Preview multimedia files with VLC" section, but I could not find "PreviewSmallBlocks" in my Preferences.ini file (accessible through Options/Extended/Open_preferences.ini). After that, the "VLC and eMule Part File Access Module" Plugin section made my eyes glaze over. I would bet that a 17-year-old VLC Plugin might not still be updated anyway. At this point I quit my experimenting.
Thanks for the reply

Preview is in black on both and when i click on each, it says "the specified file was not found" i have one at 97% and another at 92.2% complete and have not moved - one since Jan and the other since before xmas. How do you know which parts are missing??
barracute

Post by barracute »   1 likes

ah just done some checks and realised the problem was i hadn't got the path set correct in Emule, now i have got it typed in correctly the preview works on both! Thanks
Night457
Global Moderator

barracute wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:11 pm ah just done some checks and realised the problem was i hadn't got the path set correct in Emule, now i have got it typed in correctly the preview works on both! Thanks
FANTASTIC!!! I am so glad you figured it out!! I just finished typing a response where I admitted that I was befuddled, but was guessing that might be the problem. Out of curiosity, did you have to edit the Preferences.ini file? Or was that NOT part of the solution?

It is great to be able to Preview a file and see if you actually want to continue trying to download it if you find that it is taking a LONG time.