[REL] X (1986) directed by Oddvar Einarson

Ziggy Plock

Re: [REL] X (1986) directed by Oddvar Einarson

Post by Ziggy Plock »   1 likes

deadman wrote:Oddly enough, Bettina gave up acting to become a tax attorney.
Yes, they can't all be Dana Plato's.....

And I'm pretty sure this is NOT odd at all. Especially in countries with a weak film industry, the transition from child actress into a successful or even halfway decent adult acting career (even when they didn't have any OT roles) is very rare to non-existent.
Not just for girls, but for boys too.
In Germany, AFAIAWTR, it's only Nastassja Kinski and Julia Brendler who have done this.
To quote Orwell's washer woman: "It was a fad without hope...."
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Ziggy Plock wrote:Did you ever have the time to make those subtitles?/
You do realize you are quoting a post from 2011, and asking a question of someone who has not been here since the end of 2012?

ANYWAY, English subtitles were posted as a direct-download directly in the thread here:
https://www.first-loves.net/forums/view ... son#p81625

Posted by Goldberger from an unknown source and reposted by ghost. Check them out.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Ziggy Plock wrote:
deadman wrote:Oddly enough, Bettina gave up acting to become a tax attorney.
Yes, they can't all be Dana Plato's.....

And I'm pretty sure this is NOT odd at all. Especially in countries with a weak film industry, the transition from child actress into a successful or even halfway decent adult acting career (even when they didn't have any OT roles) is very rare to non-existent.
Not just for girls, but for boys too.
Another factor has also been that in some countries, unlike Hollywood, even well-known actors didn't exactly make a fortune. Child actors gave up that career path because it wasn't much of a career path. The pay was better in any number of more mundane jobs.

I was just saying that tax attorney isn't the first line of work you'd expect an art/theater type to go into. Fashion, music, writing (literature or journalism), graphic design, architecture ... those seem more natural. Something creative.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: You do realize you are quoting a post from 2011, and asking a question of someone who has not been here since the end of 2012? ANYWAY, English subtitles were posted(...)
No, i didn't realize that, certainly not that he was gone. Then again, it's the interwebs, so.... : ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ ??? :D :mrgreen:
I found them right after, but still, thanks.
deadman wrote:I was just saying that tax attorney isn't the first line of work you'd expect an art/theater type to go into. Fashion, music, writing (literature or journalism), graphic design, architecture ... those seem more natural. Something creative.
Yes. You're right. That would be more likely. Goes to show ya, that even in Norway, a rich country which is ran pretty competently by comparison, but with just 5 million people, finding a creative job was hard in those days, I guess it still is.

Child actors gave up that career path because it wasn't much of a career path.
You can pave the roads with child actors that didn't 'make it' into the adult business. If even Mara Wilson didn't make it.... :( :( :x :o

Perhaps we should start a list of non-Hollywood child actors who would've made it if they had happened to live in America???
I'll start: Rebecka Liljeberg of Lukas Moodyssons "F*cking Åmål (1998)"
Last edited by Ziggy Plock on Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

deadman wrote:Child actors gave up that career path because it wasn't much of a career path. The pay was better in any number of more mundane jobs.
Are you saying there are actually countries where people get paid better for doing actual WORK rather than playing make-believe? That delusional spoiled overaged children are not especially rewarded?!? That the cult of celebrity, whether through traditional media or by this new-fangled internet thing, is NOT seen as a reasonable aspiration?

I just can not fit in where I happen to live, but learning Norwegian would be tough.
Ziggy Plock wrote:You can pave the roads with child actors that didn't 'make it' into the adult business.
Ouch. Not all of them ODd! I have noticed that in whatever country, even if a child actor becomes an adult actor, they do not necessarily have any particular acting ability. Children seem more naturally in tune with "make believe" and many will give good performances under the right director. Then they grow up and have NO idea how to act, so they fall back on the tricks and bad habits they have learned. Their performances are stilted and mannered and unconvincing. If they continue with a career in the movies, it is likely because they are one of the fortunate Beautiful People, not because of any particular acting talent. They are not necessarily BAD, just not spectacular. Look at the jarring transition of Shirley Temple to her teen roles. Maybe we can blame that on the terrible scripts of an industry that did not know what to do with her. Wee Willie Winkie did the right thing by becoming a diplomat instead! Jodie Foster and Natalie Portman are incredibly intelligent people and I have enjoyed a number of their adult movie roles, but it is rare when I can engage with the characters they play as much as any number of their child roles.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:
deadman wrote:Child actors gave up that career path because it wasn't much of a career path. The pay was better in any number of more mundane jobs.
Are you saying there are actually countries where people get paid better for doing actual WORK rather than playing make-believe? That delusional spoiled overaged children are not especially rewarded?!? That the cult of celebrity, whether through traditional media or by this new-fangled internet thing, is NOT seen as a reasonable aspiration?

I just can not fit in where I happen to live, but learning Norwegian would be tough.
Things have changed in recent decades. But it does explain why at least some of the pre-2000 child actors never went forward with a career in movies. That, and (as you pointed out) some of them just didn't have the natural talent to keep going once the cuteness factor wore off. I wasn't aware Shirley Temple did any films as a teenager. That forgettable, huh?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

deadman wrote:But it does explain why at least some of the pre-2000 child actors never went forward with a career in movies.
Maybe Millennials are just smarter and more practical than other generations. :? (Not me, I am stupid Gen X.) And then Gen Z was raised by the internet and seduced by the lures of shallow fame. Some of my favorite people are Gen Zers, but I worry for them.
I wasn't aware Shirley Temple did any films as a teenager.
Oh yeah, several. Most are forgettable fluff, typical of roles major studios would give to teens. There are a few exceptions.

A few years ago I went crazy and tried to collect and watch ALL the Shirley Temple films. There were only a few oddities I did not manage to get.

The best of her teen and young adult movies would be John Ford's Fort Apache (1948), but that is because of John Wayne and Henry Fonda rather than Shirley; and The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947), where she is wonderful co-starring with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. That one is a classic, but at 19 she was too old for FLM.
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:I just can not fit in where I happen to live, but learning Norwegian would be tough.
No, no, no! It's Danish that's totally incomprehensible, Norwegian, like Swedish, is pretty easy, even for the Anglo-Saxonianese.....
Jodie Foster and Natalie Portman are incredibly intelligent people and I have enjoyed a number of their adult movie roles, but it is rare when I can engage with the characters they play as much as any number of their child roles.
Funny you should mention them. Portman got an Oscar. Foster won two. Yup, this sounds very much like a YOU problem.... móst déaf!

some of them just didn't have the natural talent to keep going once the cuteness factor wore off.
That's not ALL of it. It has to do with the public too, and maybe that's the most important thing: Once the public knows you as an adorable, smooth skinned, angelic child, they don't accept you as a wrinkley faced adult with a large nose. But it's a crap shoot. Look how different the careers of Haley Joel and Emily Osment have turned out to be.
It's wait and see for the Alyn Lind sisters, but the older two are vamps, while the youngest is not that pretty. I guess it'll be character roles and not starring in the rom-coms for her, then?
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   2 likes

While watching "X (1986)" i added 3 lines to the subtitles and corrected two errors. But my Norwegian sucks, so if you're good at that, would you mind looking at and listening to some of my changes?

Here are some questions:

Code: Select all

What does FLORA say after line 116, at 00:30:14,179 --> 00:30:16,580
"I don't want to go home"
[i]???[/i]

What does FLORA say after line 208, at 00:50:16,246 --> 00:50:17,446
"Why so fast?"

What does FLORA say after line  256 at 01:01:18,875 --> 01:01:23,475
- I never liked this woman.
- You can throw it out.

It sounds like she says:
FLORA: Passer igjen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Ziggy Plock wrote:Norwegian, like Swedish, is pretty easy, even for the Anglo-Saxonianese
I have noticed how in many ways Swedish and English are close. But learning a few words and learning a language are 2 different things.

Then you go dropping some Icelandic on me. Now THAT I would find a REAL challenge. :)
Funny you should mention them. Portman got an Oscar. Foster won two.
Ha! Oscars! You really want me to get started on that suckfest of mediocrity? :D And more than ever before it is about actors patting each other on their backs over their politically virtuous views. It has very little to do with acting, unless "acting" means "public posturing."

Natalie was indeed good as the crazy ballerina and Jodie as the FBI agent with a childhood sheep trauma. (?!) I never again want to see Jodie gangraped on a pinball machine. That does nothing for me as either entertainment or social enlightenment, so I can not honestly evaluate her performance in that. In the vast majority of their adult flicks they come across as mannered. Their intelligence is clear enough but not the believability. They were so much more natural in their childhood movies: they were better at "playing make-believe."

But this is FLM, so I am just preaching to the choir in preferring child roles.
Once the public knows you as an adorable, smooth skinned, angelic child, they don't accept you as a wrinkley faced adult with a large nose.
You're right, nowadays at least. Or that is at least what the moviemakers BELIEVE of the public, maybe? In olden times we had Jackie Coogan, the young lead in Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid" ... and much later as crazy Uncle Fester in "The Addams Family." Kurt Russell transitioned well from his childhood to his adult roles.

I think I am ready to see Jodie play a crazy grandma.
Look how different the careers of Haley Joel and Emily Osment have turned out to be.
I am not sure what you mean here. They both have kept busy working mostly on TV series and doing voices for video games or animation. I have not really paid attention to them, but how are they so different career-wise?