[REL] X (1986) directed by Oddvar Einarson

Ziggy Plock

Re: [REL] X (1986) directed by Oddvar Einarson

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

You didn't see Jodie in her gangland hotelier role, then?
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

HJ had some problems, longer periods of not acting. Emily's roles got better and better. imho
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Ziggy Plock wrote:HJ had some problems, longer periods of not acting. Emily's roles got better and better. imho
Fair enough. I was vaguely aware Haley Joel had some drinking and drug problems. I have not actually seen anything either has done in years, so I was not able to evaluate the quality of the roles or of the movies.

Natalie and Jodie I HAVE seen a number of their adult roles. Not all of them, but enough to be generally familiar with their work. I have not given up on either of them, but I don't follow them religiously anymore. Which brings us to ...
You didn't see Jodie in her gangland hotelier role, then?
I did not even hear about that film until I looked up her IMDB page as a result of this conversation! It does look interesting. You saying it is worthwhile?

The most recent Jodie Foster movie I have seen is [REL] Nim's Island (2008). Coincidentally or not, I think it is also the last movie I saw in a movie theater! It was amusing enough, but the only reason I watched it was to kill time with family members during an air travel layover.

I have so many movies that I CAN watch but do not have time for, that when I get tired of an actor or director I once liked I can easily drop them and move on. So they certainly can get past any perceived slump and make a good movie again. I'll just be watching something else and miss it. Or I will rewatch one of their old movies that I am certain I will like.
Ziggy Plock

Mizz Foster is one of the OWILF (ow=old women) there are. She somehow remained attractive, in this movie at least. Or maybe it is that her French is, for non-Francophonianese like me, impeccable, given her thick American accent.
Yes, this is a good movie, both drama-wise, production value wise and actionflick-wise.

Don't wanna rain on your "ooh they so cute" parade, but here's Mara Wilson explaining it better than I ever could. Have you read it? Worth the 3.6 minutes (especially in Reader mode)

https://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons- ... erspective
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   1 likes

deadman wrote:some of them just didn't have the natural talent to keep going once the cuteness factor wore off. I wasn't aware Shirley Temple did any films as a teenager. That forgettable, huh?
Cuteness factor. Who do you think the girl on the right is?

[Image]
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Ziggy Plock wrote:Don't wanna rain on your "ooh they so cute" parade, but here's Mara Wilson explaining it better than I ever could.
I walk around all day long in a raincoat carrying an umbrella so I am safe. Nothing surprised me there, other than being pleased to find out that Mara has her head screwed on straight. Great gal!

She is also considerably more forgiving of entertainment industry poison than I would be.

I never expected to read serious journalism at CRACKED! This was from 2013, and I was concerned about one of her predictions:
Considering all the legal hassle child stars can be, I won't be surprised when they are phased out by CGI children voiced by adult actors.
No thanks. More movies I just won't watch. And I have heard adult actors dubbing children plenty of times, and other than Bart Simpson they are frequently terrible.
Cuteness factor. Who do you think the girl on the right is?
Isn't that just the same girl as the one on the left?
Ziggy Plock

Yup. Same girl. Just wanted to point out that your whole schtick about how you can't relate to the mature actresses might have something to do with, what John Leguizamo said in "The Happening (2008)" :
«Each year your nose grows with 0,1 millimeter.... »
Don't forget the pretty devastating Ashlyn Sanchez ... who, as a teen looks a lot like a teen Emily Osment. https://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Ash ... buSwHx.jpg
Considering all the legal hassle child stars can be, I won't be surprised when they are phased out by CGI children voiced by adult actors.
Not so much her prediction as an expectation by her.
Maybe they won't be voiced by adult actors, but by computer voices, like Siri. Just have a kid record all possible sounds and whatever, and with a smart coded program, you can make it say whatever one wants. Deep fakes, remember?
Last edited by Ziggy Plock on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Ziggy Plock wrote:Just wanted to point out that your whole schtick about how you can't relate to the mature actresses
No, I think you misunderstood me. I have been a fan of a number of mature actresses for decades, but I like them because they can ACT, not necessarily because they are hotties. (Though some of them are that, too.) The fundamental requirement of acting is that I believe the character. When that doesn't work for me, it does not matter how great she looks or how fond I am of her. My beef was with child actresses who grew up and then forgot how to act, not with how they LOOK now. Good golly, I can't complain about Natalie's appearance! That would be insanity. She has some terrific genes. If she finally reaches the "old and ugly" stage, I will already be long dead.

I am not John Hinckley Jr. but I will always like Jodie, even if I don't keep watching her movies.

What makes me really sad is the number of actresses who are terrified of aging gracefully and instead turn to plastic surgery, and become hideous freaks. Please no. I want to see your wrinkles, pretty please?

(The men do this too but I don't give a rat's ass about them.)
Maybe they won't be voiced by adult actors, but by computer voices, like Siri. Just have a kid record all possible sounds and whatever, and with a smart coded program, you can make it say whatever one wants. Deep fakes, remember?
Now you're just trolling me and trying to make my head hurt. ;) I have no interest in immersing myself in the Matrix. Mind you, there is no reason to limit this to child actors: they can eliminate the adults as well. They have already done this here and there, recreating dead actors.

This is why I have generally given up on 21st century movies and stick with the classics. If I want animated fakery I go with traditional cell animation.
Ziggy Plock

i'm not so opposed to plastic surgery, but which actress do you have in mind specifically, or is this more a general thing?

other than being pleased to find out that Mara has her head screwed on straight.
I've a sneaking suspicion that most of these actors' heads are not much less screwed on straight than hers, she's no exception I think. But .... hey.

I'm also not opposed to CGI in some areas. In that regard, what's your opinion on another instance of fakery, related to kids: life-like realistic dolls, and, if they ever come, robots? I think this might be a solution for many people who have certain preferences.
But. Importing realistic life-sized dolls seems to be illegal in, of all places, Canada.
I go with traditional cell animation.
Which is whát, now?
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Ziggy Plock wrote:i'm not so opposed to plastic surgery, but which actress do you have in mind specifically, or is this more a general thing?
General because it is so generally used, probably more than we know. Actresses have the money and the motivation for it. We really notice it when it goes bad. When it "works," people may think "What glamorous make-up! What body-flattering clothes! She must exercise and eat healthy!"

For examples of plastic surgery disasters, Google "duckface plastic surgery."
I've a sneaking suspicion that most of these actors' heads are not much less screwed on straight than hers, she's no exception I think.
I was thinking specifically of comparing Mara to other former child actors, who seem prone to mental health and substance abuse problems, as she notes.

Any actor or actress who works to keep their private life private and their opinions to themselves I automatically assume to be fairly intelligent and well-adjusted, because they do nothing to dispel that image. It is the ones who open their mouths and make a public spectacle of themselves that prove themselves fools.
I'm also not opposed to CGI in some areas.
It is a filmmaking tool and is reasonable to use. I prefer live action.
I go with traditional cell animation.
Which is whát, now?
Are you joking, or serious? It is what is rarely done now because it is labor-intensive: drawing thousands of pictures by hand on clear sheets or "cells," which are then photographed with 35mm film to make a "cartoon" / "animated film" / "anime." For example, the old Disney animated films like Snow White, Cinderella, Dumbo etc... Nowadays it is more common for drawings to be made on a computer - with actual humans assisting our robot overlords! - and then transferred to digital "film." It is faster and easier, no doubt.

And CGI is a computer animation intended to look true-to-life, but most movies that make large use of it deal with subjects you would never see in real life: superheroes and space battles. So in my mind they are still cartoons.

However, I was simply saying that I prefer an honestly fake cartoon to digitally faked "live action" actors. Look, ooooh! It looks exactly like Peter Cushing, dead for decades! James Dean will star in a new film!

I have a question for anyone: Do you want a CGI-made sequel to "Pretty Baby" with a lifelike computer rendition of a 13-year-old Brooke Shields in the lead? It can be a happily-ever-after story where she reunites with the love of her life after running away from her crazy religious stepfather.