[REL] Mein erstes Wunder (2002)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Mein erstes Wunder (2002)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Hmmm ... I have not finished downloading it yet, but I went for it because I was interested in what the difference would be. (And it would give me a good excuse to watch it again.) My assumption was that you, beatpats4, had an issue with PAL speedup making squeakier voices. Normally this is not something I notice, but SOMETIMES I do. I don't know if that is because normally pitch-shifting is applied to correct for that, and sometimes it is not, or if I am just oblivious to small differences. I do not know how professional video encoders do their work. Still, it is something that takes "critical observation to notice", so I thought that is what you WERE using!

Like ghost, I am not criticizing you or your efforts. I just want to understand your aims also! Thanks.
beatpats4

Post by beatpats4 »   1 likes

rite the PAL speed up & pitch tend to b quite noticabl 4 me w/out the need 4 criticl obsrvatn, for xampl Alcarras is anothr such video file i'd have likd to "dePAL" but cybrlink powrdirector is unabl to work w/the audio for som reasn; i'l hav the 24fps file redy in a few hours . . .
Last edited by beatpats4 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

My assumption was that you, beatpats4, had an issue with PAL speedup making squeakier voices.
But this film originally was filmed in 25 fps. So that*wouldn't make sense to me.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

That sounds good, beatpats4. Are you going to watch a little of your result before you post it? Should I quit trying to get the first version and just wait for the second? I have 21% and my emule client claims it has "Never" seen it complete.

I know some people are very sensitive to auditory differences, others to visual. And others are just insensitive clods. ;) So it takes different things to satisfy different audiences.

If I compare the 25fps and the 24fps versions one after the other, I might very well say "Oh YEAH" and notice the difference. Normally it only happens if I am already familiar with an actress. If I heard a husky-voiced young Jodie Foster suddenly sound squeaky, THEN I would know something was wrong. :mrgreen:
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:34 pm But this film originally was filmed in 25 fps. So that*wouldn't make sense to me.
Wait, what?? It was filmed and released in theaters at 25fps? Is / was that a thing?

I realize that digital cameras can do any framerate the filmmaker wants, but IMDB claims Mein Erstes Wunder was shot on 35mm film. I thought that was universally projected at 24fps theatrically in the modern sound era.
beatpats4

Post by beatpats4 »   0 likes

the running time wil b the same, only the numbr of frames being generatd per second wil b lowr, if it's noticably mor smooth playbak i'l post a new link, but i thot the 30fps was as smooth as the PAL vrsn myslf . . .
Night457
Global Moderator

beatpats4, whatever version you personally are most satisfied with, please keep sharing it. I DO want it! Thanks.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Likewise I feel the same. As long as you like it, beatpats, I'll also be interested in it. I am used to comparing different encodes of movies before watching them, even though I am an insensitive clod. :D Except when it comes to dub synching, apparently. :P

Curious to hear what ghost and everyone has to say about this theatrical 24/25 fps question.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   2 likes

But this film originally was filmed in 25 fps.
Well, ok. This was probably nonsense. At least IMDB says, runtime is 90 minutes. That's the runtime of the PAL DVD. But we never can be sure. ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:04 pm At least IMDB says, runtime is 90 minutes. That's the runtime of the PAL DVD. But we never can be sure. ;)
Never sure with IMDB, and I am always suspicious of 90 minute runtime claims. That was frequently a lie in the videotape era, when they rounded off by minutes and it was "close enough". Your Release is 91.55 minutes. Supposedly it was 93 minutes at the Montréal World showing. OH NO! Are we being cheated out of a few minutes of censored footage? Let the conspiracy talk begin.

When I have a PAL DVD and a NTSC DVD, I can verify differences in runtime comparing one to the other. But as for "official" runtimes on movie sites ... nah, I don't totally trust them.