[REL] Herzblatt oder Wie sag' ich's meiner Tochter? (1969)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Herzblatt oder Wie sag' ich's meiner Tochter? (1969)

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:41 pm You guys have raised my interest in the auto subtitles/voice recognition now. I will do some research into this. Im into AI and machine learning stuff and what has been achieved in recent years when it comes to neuronal networks/ai has been tremendous. I got software that can clone anyone’s voice from just a 10second clip.
As a matter of fact, one of the members here did this with a full movie. His work is documented in the thread for the film La Traversée du phare (1999), at about page 7 or so. I think he may have done it for more than one film. I think he ended up using Aegissub, but initially started out with using translator apps on his phone. Since then, native speaker fansubs for this film were created at the TNT boards.

Please always remember to regularly update your yt-dlp version if it doesn’t do so automatically already. They regularly fix what youtube tries to break or restrict.
I do this every time I load up ytdlp. But thank you goku. ;)

Night wrote:Did this work for the age-restricted videos? Were you logged in to YouTube in the browser? Did you have to supply login information or cookies to yt-dlp?
I really want to hear more about this. Please do tell!
:mrgreen: My pleasure.
Yes, it worked for the age-restricted video, and it didn't seem to care that it was age-restricted to begin with, though I was logged in to my YT account at the time, through only the browser. I did not think try it without being logged in. I did not supply any info to ytdlp, either by submitting cookie or login info, and I would be clueless about how to do that! Not to say that it isn't possible through its extensive command line options.

Interesting thing to note, you can keep both the original ytdl and the ytdlp "fork" and use them both, if you like (though I don't think I could use two instances of cmd at the same time). I simply keep them in separate directories, though that might not even be necessary. Unsure if the original has been updated in the last year and a half. ytdlp was updated last month.

To get started with the process, I simply search for a ytdlp master command list. I believe there's one on their main github page, but I used this:
https://www.mankier.com/1/yt-dlp ("Man page" deliberately spelled that way, arrr arrr arrrr :tim-the-tool-man-smiley)

I entered:
ytdlp.exe URL --write-auto-subs

It spat out the subs right away and then proceeded to TRY downloading the video at 40kB/s. I imagine I could get the untranslated subs without it trying for the whole video if I figured out the correct formula.

Btw I am wondering what went through their minds over at jdownloader, to implement a system that respects age-restriction in a program that is obviously intended to download or "pirate" free (or rather, freely available) media. Guess maybe they didn't want to upset the YT-Google corporate machine TOO much. ;)

And you got also Handy stuff like https://palette.fm using AI to colorize old black and white photos.
ahem
heheh I remember playing around with something like this.
:arrow: Excuse the potty humor.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Awesome, thank you pillowbaker! If yt-dlp works to download age-restricted content while logged in to YouTube in the browser, that will be good enough for my purposes.
pillowbaker wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:42 am (though I don't think I could use two instances of cmd at the same time)
Sure you can. I have software (don't remember what) with a GUI that still pops up the command line, and if I use it to do multiple processes then I have multiple command line windows running.

Highlight your ytdlp folder, use SHIFT+F10 or SHIFT+RIGHTCLICK or SHIFT+RightClickMenuKey (not sure what it is called actually). Select "Open command window here". It will open command line in that folder. Repeat this as many times as you want separate command lines running.
I simply keep them in separate directories, though that might not even be necessary.

Probably not, but it would help keep it clear in my head.
Unsure if the original has been updated in the last year and a half. ytdlp was updated last month.
Wait, I am supposed to UPDATE my software? Grrrrr.
I imagine I could get the untranslated subs without it trying for the whole video if I figured out the correct formula.
ytdlp.exe URL --write-auto-subs --skip-download

In youtube-dl it has the same option, but if you skip the download you only get the subtitles in VTT format. It is then easy to open the VTT in SubtitleEdit and save it in SRT format, no special work needed.

Thanks again for the explanation and links. Some day I will upgrade to the new and improved youtube downloader, I am sure!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:07 am
In youtube-dl it has the same option, but if you skip the download you only get the subtitles in VTT format. It is then easy to open the VTT in SubtitleEdit and save it in SRT format, no special work needed.
i assume subtitleEdit does the conversion better than the built-in VTT to SRT converting yt-dlp can do on the fly (—convert-subs srt).

And in the past..even when it was just youtube-dl and ytdlp still didn’t exist, I often had to update since youtube regularly likes to change things that sometimes stuff got totally broken with youtube-dl. And ytdlp gets almost 2-5 weekly updates, always with great new features and even more sites it supports for download (already supports hundreds and hundreds of websites). But I know it can be shitty when software suddenly switches to something completely new (syntax/commands etc) and all your old configuration files or commands don’t work as they used to anymore).

This is why some people had to change/modify their YouTube download scripts/commands because ytdlp DID do some changes (removing old commands and implementing new/better ones), ytdlp also fixed the bandwidth restrictions etc. see all the dozen changes:

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#new-features
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 am i assume subtitleEdit does the conversion better than the built-in VTT to SRT converting yt-dlp can do on the fly (—convert-subs srt).
Aha! No, probably the same. I have not learned all the options yet. Mostly I use Jdownloader anyway. I just knew that if I downloaded the video and the subtitle, the default operation for youtube-dl was to convert the VTT to SRT after finishing the video download. If I just downloaded the subtitle, then the default operation was that it stay VTT. I am ALWAYS going to open a subtitle in SubtitleEdit anyway, so rather than search for an option to convert it in youtube-dl and have to type a longer command line command, I just do the conversion to SRT in SubtitleEdit while I am doing everything else I do with subtitles.

If someone never edits a subtitle, then that command line option is the best way to go!