[REL] Carrie (2013)

Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Carrie (2013) [USA]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

starfish21 wrote:i think you'll find chloe will be making appearances here for some time to come.
Probably, but she's starting to get the 'adult' or maybe I should say 'teener' look - after all, she'll be sixteen in February. I hope she ages better than Dakota but she's not a little girl any more. Don't get me wrong - I still think she's cute, just in a different way.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   1 likes

i don't like Chloe in this role,her duckface makes her look like she's grinning all the time,i keep expecting her to break into a series of goofy expressions.
For An Angel

96 days and counting! :twisted:

[Image][Image][Image][Image]
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:i don't like Chloe in this role,her duckface makes her look like she's grinning all the time,i keep expecting her to break into a series of goofy expressions.

Well... I had problems with Chloë as Carrie for other reasons.. I thought she was TOO pretty for the role..
Spoiler:

Having seen the movie last night, I regret to say [imo] I was right. Sissy Spacek STILL rocks Carrie!!

The original 1976 Carrie was one of the first 'R' rated movies I saw as a youngster, and I really wanted to like this remake, especially [despite my misgivings over casting Chloë] since I've enjoyed Chloë in some of her other roles..

Chloë tried hard, but could not pull the remake out of the mire.. Other than her acting weird, I never could believe her as Carrie, the picked-on, ostracized outcast with dangerous telekinetic powers. She was just too damn cute. And unfortunately NOT the actress that Sissy Spacek was [at the age of 27, when SHE played the role.. :eyecrazy ].. (Granted Chloë really WAS her character's respective age, and as an actress she'll probably grow into her talent; but for THIS movie, it didn't work for me...)

Sissy nailed the role both with her [youthful] plain-jane looks and her superb talent.

I believe that when a movie is remade, that the object should be to attempt to improve on and make a better film than the original.. Especially with Chloë in the titular role; this was not the case here. She just couldn't pull it off.. AND the she didn't really get any support from the other cast members, probably due to bad dialogue [weird, because Lawrence D. Cohen rewrote his own script] and shoddy direction. *sigh*

I also regret to observe that after this film, Chloë Grace Moretz officially has outgrown my interest... :(

I'll probably follow her career for a little while, but it would have to be an exceptionally excellent movie [AND with other younger talent] for me to get excited merely by her presence in a film..
There aren't any movie 'spoilers' above, just a bit of negativity.... :lol: Chloë fans, please don't hate me... :pray

kev.
reastavachi

Post by reastavachi »   0 likes

I agree with you Kev, I think Chloë is actually far too cute for the role, but... well, I won't say it's disappointing to see her in a great part :D
I still haven't seen it yet, but King's fans tend to think it's a pretty good version, though not as much of a masterpiece than the original movie).
I just saw Kick Ass 2 yesterday, Chloë was just great, so I'm waiting for this one to be out here :)
Reasta'
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

Hmmm.....duck face. This is not the first time to be uttered (her smile/lips). Starting to worry she may get the backlash of Anne Hathaway. :(
For An Angel

I happened to LOVE her in this movie. I thought she was perfect for the role. Here's one thing you will never hear me complain about... Chloe Moretz being "too cute" in a movie. :P
I think it was at least as good as the original. The acting in the original was good for its day but now just seems too campy. Just don't expect to see a "horror" film. It's not a scarey movie as much as it's a drama. I still recommend it too all CM fans.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

For An Angel wrote:I happened to LOVE her in this movie. I thought she was perfect for the role. Here's one thing you will never hear me complain about... Chloe Moretz being "too cute" in a movie. :P
We'll have to agree to disagree. If you read the book, as reviewer E. D. Shackleford said:
Eddie D. Shackleford wrote:Carrie’s appearance is more pleasant in the movie than described in the novel.
Spoiler:

As noted by the author himself:
Stephen King wrote:..Carrie stood among them stolidly, a frog among swans. She was a chunky girl with pimples on her neck and back and buttocks, her wet hair completely without color...
To be sure Chloe is no 'frog among swans'... ;) And while Sissy Spacek was not necessarily 'pudgy', she DID possess that 'homely' look as described by King.

I've loved Chloe in her other films, but this is one instance I felt her looks actually kept me from believing her character completely. (I still love her as an actress, although I'm afraid my love will be contained to her former works as a child and adolescent..)
For An Angel wrote:I think it was at least as good as the original. The acting in the original was good for its day but now just seems too campy.

Trust me, as far as 'campyness' goes, this remake takes the cake with certain scenes. One example that stands out in my memory is the when head bitch-girl is arguing with the gym teacher.. Bad dialogue, bad delivery [imo].

So, to me, if that's a negative, both films suffered from 'campyness'.. (I'm inclined to think that's more a part of their charm...) :D

I WILL say that I felt the climactic prom 'revenge' scene was actually better in THIS production than in the original:

The split-screen effect was innovative [perhaps] at the time, but the actual things that Carrie did to the prom-goers were trifle and almost laughable compared to the horrific things that happened to them in the remake. Especially with the girl that pulled the cord to the blood bucket...
For An Angel wrote:I still recommend it too all CM fans.
As do I, as do I.. :)

Neither film [the original and this production] were meant to be academy award winners; they were made to be entertaining thrillers and in THAT capacity they succeeded.

My harshness in some of my descriptions of the movie in my previous post might have come out of disappointment of having JUST watched the film and wanting more from it then sitting down to capture my initial feelings of it.

Other than feeling that Chloe was or wasn't the right choice for the role of Carrie, I think we're on the same page.. :thumbsup

kev.

BIG EDIT:
After some thought, I guess the biggest problem for the filmmakers in casting 'Carrie's' part was, if you cast an actress that REALLY fits King's description of Carrie, you run the risk of the audience's 'human nature' kicking in and nobody being sympathetic to her character. By nature, no matter how much people swear otherwise, we're instinctively repulsed by ugly people; and in the case of Carrie, the audience might have been more prone to side with the bullies... :think
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

I think shes a match for her on-screen mom.....Michelle Pfeiffer (Dark Shadows) THAT was great casting....

And again..as no one responded...I hope the smile does not kill her as it has the horse mouthed Anne Hathaway (look up her backlash on her unique grin).