[REL] Wasp (2003) short [24.12] [UK]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Wasp (2003) short [24.12] [UK]

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 amI think I'll be able to handle this one as long as there isn't a baby birthing scene hiding away inside.
I guess you have not watched that first episode of Julie (2005) yet, huh? Nothing graphic, but there is a woman screaming in labor scene, for supposedly comedic purposes. (Julie is breaking the fourth wall and showing the audience when she was born.) It is especially memorable for me because that episode and that scene was the most difficult to get the subtitles properly synced, so I saw it over and over again.

If you want videos of a baby shooting out the chute, I probably have those too. All the blood and slime and afterbirth is fine, I just don't like them because the baby is always crying "Let me go back in, this place is too bright and cold and awful!" You got that right, kiddo.

But WASP, you are safe as I remember it. The scene that freaks me out the most has to do with the title "character", SPOILERS.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:41 am
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 amI think I'll be able to handle this one as long as there isn't a baby birthing scene hiding away inside.
I guess you have not watched that first episode of Julie (2005) yet, huh?
I actually did watch most of the first episode before wandering off looking for a download option and checking on subtitles. It is safe to assume that I end up not watching, at least not right away, much of the stuff I download. I will though, eventually!

However, the birthing scene didn't bother me too much, though I admit I did sigh a bit. No, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the part of the episode I watched. I forget if it was before or after the birthing scene, and I don't know if they really mentioned it directly (haven't watched subs yet), but Julie is a type one diabetic, and I don't often see that represented on film. You could say that I have a little experience in caring for this condition, and I just like how nonchalantly they showed it.

But for birthing scenes in general, I respond to them similar to how you respond to the screeching infants. You know, I know we both realize it's a fact of life, but I can't fathom why it's in enough films and shows to get this response from me. Is it just me, or does it seem that most longer running TV shows from the US shovel at least one or two of these stressful birthing scenes into their precious runtimes?

Still have yet to watch Wasp, though! Once my lil project is done, I'll watch the new shorts first! I'll keep an eye out for a wonderful bumble bee referred to in the title!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:52 amI don't know if they really mentioned it directly (haven't watched subs yet), but Julie is a type one diabetic, and I don't often see that represented on film. You could say that I have a little experience in caring for this condition, and I just like how nonchalantly they showed it.
It becomes a recurring plot point and it does not remain nonchalant.
Spoiler:

There are problems when Julie does not pay proper attention to her injection schedule and/or does not have backup juice immediately on hand. She and her best friend are both irresponsible. The best friend is also a stupid bitch, IMHO!
Is it just me, or does it seem that most longer running TV shows from the US shovel at least one or two of these stressful birthing scenes into their precious runtimes?
How right you are! I have seen plenty of sitcoms that do it too. Dramas get the bulk of the more serious sweating and screaming and potential complications, although the comedies HAVE to include a breech birth that some amateur is forced to deal with. Because that is just so funny! I would love to see some workplace-related show where a lead actress disappears for some months due to "maternity leave", then comes back to the office and says "Hey, I had my baby and now he's with the nanny. Glad to be back!" And we NEVER have to see the birth OR the baby!

I watched "Wasp" while stuffing my face with dinner, and felt guilty because [PLOT SPOILERS].