[REL] Believe (2013)

donkeykog

Re: [REL] Believe (2013)

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

OK, so I saw the second one and MUCH better! :D It still has high ratings at IMDB so I too hope for the best!

I totally forgot about all those problems they were having. Hopefully they all are worked out.
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Believe (2013) [USA]

Post by kev »   0 likes

kev wrote:
ptguardian wrote:Really good show and she is awesome. Cannot wait to see more! :thumbsup

Believe.S01E01.Pilot.Webrip.x264-nbctv.mp4

Enjoy
Thanks, Ptg! I'm glad they finally started airing this series!

Somehow I figured that FAA would be the first to put this out.. :lol:

Watched this with my mom last week [on vacation, visiting my folks] and she actually enjoyed it to the point that she watched the episode that aired last night.. For someone that enjoys shows like 'Law and Order', 'NCSI' and 'The Good Mother' it's kind of a change..

Thanks again for bringing the series to FLM, Ptg! :thumbsup

kev.
I didn't really state what I thought of the show, because I REALLY wanted to like it and had ultimately high hopes for it ESPECIALLY after reading things that the writer Alfonso Cuarón wrote about why he created the series. But..

I have to say I've been disappointed...
donkeykog wrote:I loved Johnny but there were some serious flaws and I am hoping that they get tighter on things or this will be a one season like Terra Nova....

....Anyway had to get that rant out cause so far I am kinda dissapointed.
I will keep watching, but they need to tighten up.
donkeykog wrote:OK, so I saw the second one and MUCH better! :D It still has high ratings at IMDB so I too hope for the best!

I totally forgot about all those problems they were having. Hopefully they all are worked out.
*Sigh*

Well, to be honest I missed episodes 2 and 3, but I DID just finish watching episode 4 and my opinion of the show has just gotten worse...
ptguardian wrote:....Personally I like it because the girl is a lot of fun and the visuals are as well....
Personally, I think Johnny Sequoyah is cute, and seemed a little more relaxed this last episode, but I don't feel she's a very good actress. Part of that problem could lie in the heart of my biggest beef with the show: For a series that seems to revolve around a 'special' child [one that could change history] she seems to only be onscreen 30 - 40 % of each episode.... :eyecrazy

Bottom line; I tune into 'Believe' to see her. Not for the plotline, not for the acting, not for the special effects.

HOWEVER, in regards to the series itself; I've seen two episodes so far and both seem to follow the same formula:
I have to wade through [including commercial advert time ;) ] about 50 mins of a muddled [logic-pothole-ridden] story line to get to a less than 5 min climax where little Bo saves the day by doing something spectacular [that's going to get harder and harder to top as the weeks go by], then settles down to rest until the next show.

It's not so much a matter of over-analyzing than it is just not enjoying the series.. :( (Mostly, again because 'Bo' seems to be relegated to a minor character in a series that's supposed to be about HER [much like the child Hope's character in 'Raising Hope'..].)

I tend to agree with one of the posters on the 'Believe' message board at imdb; the big 'Plan' that's being touted as 'going to be revealed soon' BETTER be worth the wait.. Otherwise this series is going to crap out after just one season.. (If it improved, I'd LOVE to watch Johnny grow up the next couple to three years, THEN they can cancel it .. :P )

None-the-less, I'll still get the DVD set for this series when it comes out [only because of JS].. I just might wait for it to go on sale, first.. :)

kev.
donkeykog

Unfortunately, I couldn't agree more Kev.

The second was so much better then the first, but as a whole it is not well scripted. I have been watching this with my parents on family night and after the third show my father said "so is all the series is is they run around being chased every week, then help a person, then do some magic thing." Too formalic like Touch was. On the forth episode my mother completely predicted the storyline about the army vet being injured and thats why he dumped the girl. And I predicted that it was the new fiancée off the batt that had hidden the letter. Speaking of which, is it really logical for the guy to have dug out a brick to hide the letter behind to get rid of it. There are trashcans I presume at his house.

That said I too watch for Johnny, but as most people watch too see a good show, I fear this might not even make the whole season.

P.S. One interesting thing is that in the 4th episode the vet had been injured while driving in a SUV in Afghanistan by an explosive. This is the true life story of the actor who plays Tate, Bo's dad. He is a vet from Afghanistan that suffered spine and neck injuries when his SUV was hit with a grenade launcher.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

Nine episodes in and I have liked every episode. Different perspective around here is already known...too funny! Like I said over analyzing tends to do that to you. Perhaps wanting it to be something other than what it is not(rhetorical comment)... Abrams has done a good job with this show and not only will it complete the first season there is already talk of a second. Bo (Johnny Sequoyah) is awesome and even if you do not like Abrams style she is worth the time she has in this. My opinion of course and a few million others each week... :P

:cool

For a bit of real perspective check out Bad Teacher, after watching the 2nd episode despite the girls having some great screen time the show is a lot more fitting to your comments than this show is. ;)
donkeykog

Hmmm...I to want this series to succeed and not just suck. But although I watch every episode, and they have gotten better since 4. The pilot was crap. They are getting much better, but if it is always a chase thing and lets help somebody then it becomes formalic.

In the episode where she had a fever and was dying, and she did not sweat, I figure they just had a great A/C.

JJ is losing his ass on his series, not just this. He is pretty much 50/50 on success. He needs to get it together. Star Trek and Lost can only hold him so long. Not that he is hurting for money or cares.

I look every day for news for a renewal of Believe, if you have it please post! :)

Besides Believe, JJ's Almost Human was canceled and Revolution is up in the air.

P.S. Bad Teacher does not have the money needed for special effects. So it is cheaper. And as bad, but I like it too. Maybe both should be canceled for a reality show.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

I can see where you would say "formalic" or more to the point following a formula. Lost had the ask three questions, answer three questions each episode. This one has a variety of recurring scenarios. To me that does not distract from the characters interaction between each other or enjoyment. It does have enough of a continuing story to keep one interested but at the same time giving Abrams an option to end it at any time. He does have some other projects on going that need his attention(Star Wars and another Star Trek). Although story depth in this show is not prevalent it is a higher standard than shows with a cheaper budget. Special effects are very good. timing, transitions, eye candy and so on. Considering the utter crap that has been posted here at FLM and received praise simply because a few key words are in attendance I am a little surprised at the harsh critiques on this. Johnny Sequoyah is the main attraction here and she has plenty of screen time. ;)

Like I said one might have preconceived expectancies that are too high and or over analyzation ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/believe
reastavachi

Post by reastavachi »   0 likes

I totally agree with you, PTG. I have been (illegally) following Believe since the very beginning. And I do love this show. Nowadays people always want things to be all settled in 20 minutes of screen-time... It would be like a 3-page-book. I prefer watching the show without looking for the mistakes, enjoying it, and just try to figure out how the characters should evolve, after they get some experience...
Maybe that's because I am a writer (not a professional, ok, but still), but I prefer watching a show that takes time to set up things, rather than a show where everything blows up every 10 seconds. But that's only my opinion.
I think Believe follows the tracks of The Pretender, a series I definitely loved, and if you look at the first season, every episode had the same script. But that's why the evolution of the characters was so logical, and so good...
I enjoy even more watching Believe, because this type of series were all built upon Stephen King's The Firestarter, and having Bo as the main character, it is even closer to the original !

Anyway, as a good French, I also enjoy "talking movies" ah ah ah !! So I easily accept that my point will not be shared by lots of you... :D
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

In my experience with fevers, one does not sweat while the fever is raging; it happens when the fever breaks.

I haven't watched this yet, but donkeykog's gripes remind me of my own about The X Files - one would assume that after the first dozen episodes Scully would be more open to the possibility that sometimes weird shit happens, but no, every episode she pins her ears back and insists on looking for rational explanations.
donkeykog

HAHA, maybe I was overly harsh above :lol: Don't get me wrong guys, I will definitely be getting it on dvd. I like the show, and I love Johnny. :D But it's not something I would go out of my way to recommend to friends (outside FLM :D ) The "Firestarter" aspect has intrigued me since the beginning. And of course I don't want this or Bad Teacher to be canceled for a realty show (unless it involves Abby.) But I am watching this show with other people that arn't watching the show for Johnny, and hear their reactions and can't disagree with them. The writing is poor. I don't agree with people on imdb that the acting is bad. I don't necessarily have a problem with being somewhat formalic if there is a great underlying story. But a majority of the formalic on Believe is them being chased every week. That gets boring. I am not a fan of car chases or foot chases as generally they are put in to fill time. My family wanted to stop watching this a few episodes ago. We watch it because I want to.

And Bo definitely has her "Scully" moments.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a season 2!
Last edited by donkeykog on Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

donkeykog wrote:HAHA, maybe I was overly harsh above :lol: Don't get me wrong guys, I will definitely be getting it on dvd. I like the show, and I love Johnny. :D But it's not something I would go out of my way to recommend to friends (outside FLM :D ) The "Firestarter" aspect has intrigued me since the beginning. And of course I don't want this or Bad Teacher to be canceled for a realty show (unless it involves Abby.) But I am watching this show with other people that arn't watching the show for Johnny, and hear their reactions and can't disagree with them. The writing is poor. I don't agree with people on imdb that the acting is bad. I don't necessarily have a problem with being somewhat formalic if there is a great underlying story. But a majority of the formalic on Believe is them being chased every week. That gets boring. I am not a fan of car chases or foot chases as generally they are put in to fill time. My family wanted to stop watching this a few episodes ago. We watch it because I want to.

And Bo definitely has her "Scully" moments.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a season 2!
Not looking good for that. It's on at the same time as Walking Dead and then Game Of Thrones right after The Walking Dead ends. Although they have not officially cancelled it. I'm hoping they change it's time slot.